4 comments

Fiction

Ten children three girls and seven boys. We can say a small republic all the political currents are present in this family communism, socialism, imperialism and royalism. They share everything, no room, no clothes, no soap, no shampoo, no toothbrush assigned to one of them, which makes the communist part of this family. However, when it comes to helping their parents, few of them usually work doing the same tasks and the others like the princes give the orders, it is the royalist part of this family. Their taste for money is immeasurable: in their discussion, we hear millions, billions of dollars as if we were on Wall Street on the New York Stock Exchange, even if the wealth of their parents is counted by a few hundred thousand dollars, it is the imperialist side of this sibling. They invite a lot of friends from different social strata, they help them by giving them money and their stuff, we can say that they have their heart on their sleeve, it represents their social part.

Please be quiet, they are gathered in the living room to discuss their older brother's marriage.

"Mother, the wedding dress is not your problem, what you are proposing is outdated."

"You don't have to talk to her like that, my mom is still modern."

“Shut up we didn't ring you he's right the wedding dress he's going to discuss it with the bride.”

"Let's talk about who to invite."

"For my part, I have five friends to invite."

"Nice idea me too, I have five friends to invite."

"What are you talking about girl? If each of us invites five people, we will be seventy-two without the bride's guests."

"It's our first wedding. We have to invite a lot of people."

"A lot of people yes, but high-class people, which is not the quality of the people you hang out with."

"How dare you talk to him like that?" His friends may be poor, but they are more honest than yours.”

"Please be serious, each of us has to invite two friends, that's all else, it will ruin the family."

 “This rule does not work for all of us. If I take with my boyfriend and my friend her boyfriend a simple calculation leads to three guests doesn't it?”

"So only bring your boyfriend and a friend without a boyfriend, which will give me a chance to meet a girlfriend, and I'm not inviting anyone."

"It's a good idea, our sisters invite a lot of single girls to the party and us boys won't invite anyone. There will be fewer people and it will be a win-win."

"Speak for yourself, boy! I'm going to invite my girlfriend that I already promised her.”

"Let's talk about the caterer."

"We haven't finished discussing the guests and he’s already talking about how he will fill his belly."

“Stop talking to your brother like that. You are really hurtful."

"I'm leaving your shitty meeting and not counting on me coming to your party."

“Please stay. Don’t listen to your sister she’s joking.”

"Let's talk with respect and good humor it's about organizing a wedding party."

"For catering services, I have a list for you: John Serock Catering, Black-eyed Pea."

"Stop, we're not planning George Clooney's wedding."

“I deserve more than your George. I would like a better party than him. Hold on! Since you mention him, I'm going to invite him."

"LOL, he doesn't know you exist."

"If you keep pissing me off, I'll stop all this and get married in Las Vegas in front of a machine with $149."

“Calm down my son. Whatever you want, you'll be fine."

"Thank you, Dad. So far we haven't made any serious decisions."

"To be serious, under 17s come to the party alone, over 18s bring a boyfriend or girlfriend."

"It's not fair, I'm seventeen, I'll bring two friends please."

"Okay, that's a good idea. I'm eighteen, I'm bringing my girlfriend, plus your two friends since we're twelve, which will make sixteen people in all.”

"Your rule doesn't work for our parents and the groom." 

"Mom, what worries me is how to dress everyone."

"Under 17s don't have to buy new things. They can wear the things we bought for school galas.”

"I get it, the under 17s are the shit of this family. Just leave us home alone and go to your wedding, that's all."

"Mom, us girls need nice dresses. The dresses you were talking about, we've been wearing them for ages. Everyone in town has seen them."

“Yes darling, your grandma told me she will offer girls the dresses.”

"Sorry I was wrong. I forgot to say the under 17s except the girls are shit of this family."

" Oh shit! I forgot to count the two grandmas, the two grandpas and their alcoholic friends.”

" Shut up! I don't allow you to talk about your grandparents like that.”

"Just kidding. They're the only ones bringing a touch of humor to this family."

"I think we covered the issue. The rest I will discuss with the parents and the bride and her parents."

"I want the music to be good and for the under 17s so that we win something too."

"What about a jazz band?"

“There it is for sure that I will not go to your marriage. I'd rather go to a nightclub with my friends.”

“You are stuck. You are not old enough to go to nightclubs.”

“I'm gonna stay home and play PlayStation with my buddies it's better than your sad marriage.”

"Don't worry my boy, you'll put on the music you like, we're counting on you to energize this marriage."

"For that you can count on me especially if you allow me to drink a few glasses of whiskey with the grandfather."

“LOL! you'll get a nursing bottle instead.”

"I'm fifteen and I'm going to drink at my brother's party."

"Anyway, he looks like the grandfather so it's normal."

"Are you done with Grandpa?" I think this meeting is over, we'll stop before it gets out of control.”

“Sorry mom.”


February 04, 2022 21:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

F.O. Morier
19:01 Feb 08, 2022

Wow! You successfully succeeded to take me there again! I love that. And I love the story! Good job!

Reply

Boutat Driss
13:12 Feb 10, 2022

A lot of thanks dear Fati.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Craig Westmore
19:28 Feb 07, 2022

Good dialogue, Boutat. I get the feel of the family dynamic here. I experimented with a scene that has no dialogue tags. It works for a crowded room of strangers but in your story I wanted to visualize who was speaking and get to know the characters in this family.

Reply

Boutat Driss
08:55 Feb 08, 2022

Dear Craig a lot of thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.