0 comments

Horror Suspense Indigenous

Hassam was fond of mystical matters to a greater extent. He used to study the spirits or ghosts concerning books. Once he read a book of attaining the spiritual powers. It was an account of various spiritual skills and potency of dealing with the spirits. The book contained many methods to master the spirits controlling techniques. Hassam traced an easy method of attaining the authority over spirits of either vice or nice origins. From numerous such tricks, he selected a suitable trick for him of passing two Friday nights in a graveyard.

It was Wednesday and Hassam seemed in a hurry to exercise his spirits controlling tactics just from the approaching Friday night. He needed one person more to accompany him for night long stay at the graveyard. He shared his plan with Assam, his close friend. Assam heard the whole plan from him so well. Then he considered various activities which were expected to be performed in the graveyard one by one. A shocking activity of embracing the ghost terrified Assam and he refused to accompany Hassam to the graveyard.

Hassam was worried and was in search of a companion who could assist him in his proposed scheme of activities. He deemed about different friends to include in his arrangement but they all were of cowardice nature. He was in great grievance for having a bold friend as it was Saturday night and he had lesser time to act. He was of the aim to carry out the plan after twenty four hours.

Wife of Hassam found him much anxious and asked for the issue in the wake of his agony mood. Hassam told her the whole story of his dilemma regarding the attainment of the spiritual potential through graveyard seclusion. His wife Asia presented herself to escort him in his plan.

“We can face many horror some troubles there in the graveyard” anticipated Hassam.

“I feel no fear in facing the ghosts or spirits” replied Asia in daring tones.

“There are many activities which you will have to perform alone in the pitch dark of night” enlightened Hassam.

“Worry not, I take no fear of such activities” assured Asia.

“In a particular activity, you will have to embrace a ghoul” clarified Hassam.

“Don’t get in fears. You will find me brave enough to do all that” reassured Asia.

After this consent winning conversation with his wife, Hassam was much happy on finding a companion for his spirits seeking activities from home. Now he could execute his plan easily with the support of his wife. Thus he became ready to pass the next Friday night in a nearby graveyard.

After availability of the companion, Hassam began collecting other things required for the night activities. Such articles include black blankets, rosaries of black and red beads, some amulets, two steel sickles matchsticks and incenses. He also needed black clothes and socks both for himself and his wife. So Hassam remained the whole Friday busy in availing the goods for spirits controlling activities on the coming night. With intensive efforts, Hassam got each and every thing used in he planned night stay before dusk.

After an earlier lunch on Friday evening, Hassam and his wife Asia departed for graveyard. They carried no torch with them as it was the foremost requirement for the activities to work in dark. There was no moon and it was a deep dark night outside. With a slow walking through the dark, they reached the garden in half an hour.

“Do you feel any fear here?” Hassam asked his wife on entering the graveyard.

“Not it is so at all. I don’t get any fears of the darkness or the graveyard” replied Asia courageously.

“Oh! I was caring about you. I was bothered if you are afraid” exclaimed Hassam

“Worry not about me. Take care of yourself. I think you are a little afraid” the wife posed a cross suspicion.

“I am quite well. I feel no fear” Hassam removed the doubt of her wife.

“OK. Tell what we have to do now” asked his wife.

“Asia! You go and sit under that big tree and I go to stay in the other corner of the graveyard” he narrated the plan.

His wife was about to go towards the mentioned place when Hassam ordered her to stop.

“You take one blanket, one sickle and two rosary beads with you,” he instructed her wife. “You will need these articles to protect yourself there.”

Hassam then described to Asia the whole plan and the pattern of actions. He also told that their spirits facing activities would start after mid night and till then they had to sit in seclusion and declaim incantations for spiritual enhancement. He also stressed to keep burning the incenses around the seating place.

Delivering the necessary tactics to his wife for night long activities, Hassam went to his chosen place. There he inserted the burning incenses all around him. Having done that, he covered his body with the black blanket, placed the sickle in front of him on a stone and took the black and red beaded rosaries in his left and right hands respectively. Then he sat in seclusion and started narrating the specific mantra.

Since it was a small graveyard so there was not a wide chasm between Hassam and his wife Asia. They could call each other in case of an emergency. More than half nigh had passed but nothing happened there. They observed no unusual incident. There were no spirits, no Jennies and even no ghosts on scene for them to converse and control.

The husband and the wife were continuously performing all he activities in accordance with the plan. They were performing the courses of incantations to the best of their struggle and information. They were in wait for appearance of a spirit from any grave but it happened not there and the night had entered into its last hours.

Hassam was a bit nervous and he was about to quit the plan when he noticed a shadow moving towards his wife. It was growing large and dark as it was approaching Asia. He was terrified of the situation but mustered up his courage to observe all that. Then he observed that the so called ghost started reducing in size and then disappeared completely by giving a lurking voice.

When Hassam was thinking about the disappearing spirit, just then he spotted a spirit approaching him slowly from a distance. He tried to boast his stamina but still he was getting fear of that. Every passing moment was pressing hard his mind. When the spirit came at a sharp distance, Hassam could not keep calm his senses. He picked up the sickle and threw it forward to keep the spirit away.

As he hurled the sickle, his red beads rosary also slipped away from his hands. These two things were saving Hassam from the possible attack of the spirit. So the spirit began growing in size by the next moment. The spirit was transforming into a dreadful façade and it was terrifying Hassam terribly. Then as the spirit came more near to him, Hassam uttered a loud scream and fell down in his blanket. He was out of senses for the next hour.

It was dawn now when Hassam opened the eyes. His wife was consoling him by saying, “I often advise you to try not the tricks that you can’t manage.”

Hassam was ashamed on his wife’s comments and regretful for not getting the power to control spirits.

October 25, 2020 12:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.