0 comments

Fiction Friendship Inspirational





 Scott Hill is an IT software expert who works with Oasis Corporation. He is intelligent, smart and a member of the management team of Oasis Corporation, a corporation that designs high profile softwares, some of which are confidential and can only be assessed by top members of the management team. Scott Hill takes pride in his high cognitive skills which gives him an edge over other software experts and web programmers. Raised by a father who is a military officer and a mother who is an engineer, he had been taught to be calculative in his thinking and smart in his reasoning. While working as an intern in a small firm, he assisted Oasis Corporation in trouble shooting that was when he was noticed and hired by the corporation. A workaholic who devotes all his time for his career sparing little or no time for leisure, he has received so many international accolades, laurels and awards for his ability to track online fraudsters and for developing intricate softwares. He's also admired for his good sense of humour which comes to fore whenever he's giving a speech after been presented an award.

Oasis Corporation opened a new branch in one of the states and needed to train some of the new intakes. Scott Hill was transferred to the new branch office to train these employees. He was supposed to be there for some weeks until the corporation can be run without much internal problems. He resumed work immediately and in no time was able to train the new intakes. A times he had to shuttle between the head quarters and new branch office if the former had any issue to attend to. He was indeed indispensible. A gala night was organized by a neighboring IT and software firm, New Horizon Corporation, and all other firms in the state were invited. As a member of the management team, it was necessary he attended. Although not the kind of person that attends social events, for this he had to put in an appearance. He bought a black Tuxedo suit and a pair of black shoes to match. Since he had never been to a gala night, he wanted to make sure he looked good and well dressed in case they were prying eyes. Moreover you never know who you might run into, he thought.

On the fateful day, he was caught between two, contemplating whether to attend the event or not. 

“If I don’t attend I have nothing to lose except meeting some new faces which I’m not interested in”. This he spoke within himself.

“How about cutting some new business deals with other IT firms?”. He reasoned further.

“This will be of immense benefit to the new branch office which is still in its budding stage." Without further ado, he concluded he would attend. He was a bit late for the event because he was nervous. He had to take a good look at his dressing over and over again before he left home. On arrival, he grabbed a bottle of champagne and took quick sips. He also took a plate, served himself a nice buffet and walked round to have a view of the hall before the event starts in full swing. He was standing in front of a beautiful painting and admiring its artistry when someone spoke beside him catching his attention.

 “Do you like the painting?" By the time Scott turned around to know who was talking, he saw a well suited middle aged man stretching out his hand to him for a shake.

"I'm Billy Ray."

"Oh! I'm Scott Hill," he responded.

“Wow! So you are the famous and indispensible Scott Hill!" Billy shouted.

 “Heard you're also the brain behind Oasis Corporation and one of its top management team, it’s so good to see you”, he spoke excitedly. 

“It’s a pleasure and an honour" Scott replied. 

“Wow! I never knew you are that young, I was expecting to see someone my age even older."

 “Thanks to my dad and mum,"Scott replied. 

As a military officer, Scott's father raised him the strenuous way. It was if he was enrolled in the Defence Academy. As an engineer, his mum trained him to be analytic and calculative. Although, it was not an easy one but at least it paid off in the long run.

"I saw you taking a long stare at that painting. Actually it's one of my favourite. I like and admire so much its artistry. I’m sure it can compete with those of Pablo Picasso.”

" Yeah! Indeed," Scott replied.

 They both exchanged phone numbers and Billy left. When it was time for the President’s welcome address, he was surprised to see Billy.

“Wow! So I was speaking to the president of New Horizon Corporation a while ago”, he spoke within.

"Excuse me please, is that the host, the president of New Horizon Corporation?" He asked a lady that stood beside him.

"Yeah!," she spoke with a nod.

 He was delighted he finally made up his mind to attend the gala night. He left before the end of the event.

Each day, Scott made sure the firm was being run efficiently and all hands were on deck. He puts each one on their toes until a task is accomplished. His goal is to make sure Oasis Corporation stands above other IT and software firms or at least at par with the best of them. As recognition of his effort, his salary was reviewed semiannually. From time to time, he received phone calls from Billy but because of his busy schedule they weren't able to meet so he made sure he returned every call received. They transacted every business online which Scott preferred. Billy invited him to his house for a weekend dinner. He wanted to turn down the invitation but didn't because it would add to several of the invitations he had turned down. He had to make up time to attend no matter how inconvenient it might be. After rounding up the day’s work, he freshened up, got dressed and set off. Billy told him to wait at a bus-stop for a car would be sent to pick him up. At exactly 6:25pm he was there waiting for the car. By 6:30pm as scheduled the car stopped by and picked him up. Looking at the porsche new model car, he had no option but to conclude that Billy was indeed wealthy. Arriving at his residence, he was ushered into a palatial mansion with exquisite look and modern furnishings. He could smell opulence. He was ushered into a beautiful well furnished room with state-of-the art paintings hanging around. He was offered a glass of wine. He took some sips and looked admirably at the paintings.

 “I can see that you love paintings a lot," Billy spoke.

 He turned round and nodded. “Yes I actually do. My parents made me love paintings because they are both love good paintings." 

"This house is an edifice and must have cost you a fortune," he added.

 Billy laughed and replied, “Not really. I am just someone that goes for what he desires. Some people may call it extravagance or going way overboard. I don’t give a fig since it’s what I want and it’s not beyond my means. Do you know, in life, you pitch your tent where the bid is high for that's where there is a fountain of inestimable worth."

Billy’s wife, Julie walked in. “You must be Scott Hill?" She asked.

 “Yes ma’ am." 

“My husband has told me so much about you and he is definitely taken to you," this she said stretching her hands to him.

 She continued, “If I must say you are indeed a young man with so much accomplishments, your parents must be proud of you”. 

“My pleasure ma’am, thank you," Scott replied. 

“Oh! Sorry, my name is Julie Ray," she introduced herself.

 Julie Ray, a tall, svelte and beautiful woman with facial features and skin color that made her look like someone from a mixed ancestry. Scott was ushered to the dinning where he was treated to a sumptuous meal.


Training new employees and administrative work was not an easy one for Scott. Though an arduous task, his commitment to the firm and his love for the job kept him going. The relationship between him and Billy kept advancing as the day went by. They both transacted business together and related on other matters of interest. One day at work Scott's phone rang, he took a look to see who was calling, it was Billy on the line. He didn't want to pick to avoid distractions because he was in the middle of something very crucial. At a second thought, he picked it since it had been a while they both spoke which was unusual. Moreover, he did not have a clue why Billy was calling. It could be something urgent.

“Hello Billy," Scott answered the call. 

“Hi! Scott, how are you doing? It’s been quite some time."

"Yeah! Indeed it has."

"Actually I have been very busy lately that’s why I couldn’t put a call through and I know you have been too."

"Yes for sure."

"Everyone knows you go round the clock. A true workaholic."

Scott laughs. "No.... not indeed. I work as duty demands."

 “Well, I want to invite you for an interactive session at my residence. I will be having an interactive session with my management team and I want you to be there. I have scheduled it for the weekend since I know you are always busy during the week."

"But…. I'm not a member of your management team. Why the invite?” Scott asked.

 "It doesn't matter. Moreover, I’m the one doing the invite. We might also need your versed well of experience to add spice to the session. Yes! You'll be our guest speaker. Any problem with that?"

“Well, I’ll try to be around but I won’t be staying for too long. What time is it starting?”

“No problem, just need you to be there. The time is 5pm. Thank you." The call ended. 

At 4:55pm, he arrived at Billy’s residence. This time around he told him not to worry sending his driver to pick him up since he wasn't coming from home. The meeting started at exactly 5pm, every one was served drinks and snacks then deliberations and brainstorming began. Each one presented their facts and opinions on different matters and a conclusion was unanimously agreed upon. The interactive session was rounded up by Scott who gave a brilliant talk on the topic, 'Computer Imagery and Tracking Online Fraudsters', to which he received a standing ovation. 

“Wow! That was a nice one. You nailed it. Well done!” 

“Thank you. It’s my pleasure”, Scott replied. 

“What will it take for me to bring you onboard my team? Name the price.”

 “I would rather you don’t go there. I would want us just to remain as friends and colleagues. Anytime you need my assistance I'll be glad to render as long as it’s within my reach. Likewise if I need yours I would want you to do the same."

“No problem," Billy responded with a shrug. 

Looking at Billy, he could tell that the response was not genuine. They bid each other farewell and Scott departed for home. Arriving home, he kept imagining the expression on Billy’s face after the response to his request. He could sense that with time the relationship between them might no longer be cordial.


It was the end of the year and the conglomeration of IT and software firms in the state were organizing a dinner party. It was always a time to unwind, wine and dine. Every one was always looking forward to that day most notably those who have been overburdened by the year’s work. Scott, although not a fun and merry seeker had to be there since it was mandatory for all members of the management team. On the day of the event, Scott made sure he looked smart and well dressed. He made sure he looked better than any other day. Arriving at the venue, he was ushered into a beautiful well lit hall. The hall was colourfully decorated and there were much to eat and drink. He could see so many unfamiliar faces in the hall. He grabbed a glass of wine as usual and took quick sips.

 “Look who is here." was the next thing he heard. It was Billy Ray, well dressed as usual, standing next to him. 

“Nervous as usual, uh.” 

“kind of,” Scott replied. 

Both of them headed to serve themselves some nice food. “Hmmm! So many rich delicacies to choose from,” Scott spoke. 

“Yes, it has always been like this annually. Scott, please I need you in my team, let’s both come together and make a formidable team,” Billy implored. “Just as the Pet Shop boys sang, 'You’ve got the brains, I’ve got the key, let’s make a lot of money.' Please join my team.” 

Scott heaved a sigh and spoke, “It’s difficult, I know you’ve been a very good friend to me but I can’t quit my job with Oasis Corporation to join you. It would be a betrayal. Oasis Corporation and hard work made me who I am today. I still have much more to do with them and I’m not ready to turn my back on them. Not at this very time."

"I can see you are tied to its apron strings." Billy nods.

"No, it's not as you think. Please, give me sometime when I have done all that's needed with Oasis I will join you,” Scott affirms. 

“No problem, any time you’re ready I'll be waiting in line”, Billy replied looking moody. He left for somewhere else while Scott stood still for a while with a plate of food in his hand. Scott later turned the other way round. where he met some new faces and exchanged pleasantries. It was dark when he arrived home. He pondered on the conversation he had with Billy. He wondered why Billy needed him so desperately when he had someone nearly as good as he is in his team. Probably, he had some things up his sleeves. It seems he needed him to let out some codes that gave Oasis an edge over others. Secret codes he had access to. His own formulated codes which he could release on resignation. Scott smiled and lay down on his bed. His phone beeped. He picked it up. It was a text message from Billy. He reads it.

In life, you pitch your tent where the bid is high for that's where there is a fountain of inestimable worth.

It's not bad to be tied to someone's apron strings but you can untie yourself when you get better offers.

In case you change your mind, am still standing by and close. Thank you for sharing your time. I truly appreciate.

Scott stood up. He walked to the balcony and looked up into the sky. He shook his head. He didn't understand what that statement meant at first but now he could read between the lines. Indeed Billy had been a good friend but if he could only wait a short while then they would both do incredible exploits, he thought.






July 10, 2021 03:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.