0 comments

Christian Inspirational Historical Fiction


When I read this topic, only one name came to my mind: Ali Ibn Abi Talib, The Lion of God. He is not just revered by Muslims, but he is a universally beloved figure. For the duration of this essay, I will refer to him as Maula Ali. The word ‘Maula’ has many different meanings itself, but to me it means a leader, a helper. A guardian.

Maula Ali was one of the first converts to Islam and he was a protegee of the Prophet Muhammad PBUH. He was an accomplished warrior, in-fact his name alone was enough to send a shiver down the enemy’s spine. But his true strength didn’t lie in his physical prowess, it lied in his wisdom.

He was the Prophet Muhammad PBUH’s right hand and held in high esteem not just by Muslims of that era but Christians and Jews also sought his counsel.

 In time, after the Prophet Muhammad PBUH’s death, Maula Ali became Caliphate of the Islamic state. He was an heir to one of the most powerful clans in Middle East at that time, yet he dressed and lived simply, often breaking his bread with the beggars and orphans of the city. He had a soft corner for orphans and is even referred to as The Father of the Orphans. Even after becoming the caliph, his manner and attitude towards the people didn’t change and he treated and met the people the same way as he did before, humbly and with a smile on his face. He was a devoted husband who helped his wife, the daughter of Prophet in all the household chores including grinding oats, baking bread, bathing his children, sweeping the floor thus setting the precedent of how men should behave with their spouse.

Maula Ali taught by his actions rather than words. He didn’t preach what he didn’t practice. He set examples on how to treat enemies both on and off the battleground. Once in the battle of Uhud, a bitter enemy of his was dealt with such a blow by Maula Ali that he was left on the ground, sword-less. A lesser man would take this to his advantage and finish him off. But not Maula Ali. He refused to attack him saying he cannot attack a defense-less man. And in the Battle of Jamal, despite being thirsty himself, he offered water and refreshments first to his wounded soldiers and even to the enemy soldiers. Such was his generosity. When people tied his assailants, from his deathbed he told them to treat his assailants with kindness. There really is no equal of Maula Ali in history and there won’t be in the future.

There was a governor named Ubaydullah ibn Abbas who was a tyrant and especially treated non-Muslims vehemently. Words of his tyranny reached Maula Ali who reproached and rebuked him and counselled him to treat all his subjects with respect. He said that Abbas’s job was to take care of the people, their welfare should be his priority. Whatever religion the practiced, they were our subjects and deserved to be treated kindly and politely.

Once, Maula Ali rode past Governor of Kufa city. Upon seeing Mawla Ali, the governor got off his horse to accompany the Imam. Maula Ali stopped him from doing so saying they were all equal in the eyes of Allah and that one should never lower himself before anyone else except Allah. Bear in mind he was a king, a Caliph at that time.

Despite being able to eat the finest bread in the Caliphate, Maula Ali used to eat dried, stale pieces of bread without any oil or butter, only water to make it wet and moist. When asked why he ate that, he said it was the food the poorest ate in his Caliphate. When he would eradicate poverty, he would eat a finer bread.

His dress also wasn’t sewn with gold thread and from the finest of silk. He used to wear torn clothes with patches on them. This was the dress of a poor man, and Mawla Ali dressed like a commoner, a poor person. He said that wearing such clothing made him feel more humble, soft- hearted and rid the mind and heart of vanity.

Mawla Ali roamed the city over which he ruled, to personally check the state of affairs. He didn’t rely on the reports only to see how the people were faring but took an active role in the lives of the people he lorded over. One day, he saw an old woman carrying a weight beyond her capacity. Like a humble servant, he took the load of her shoulders and carried it to her house. The old woman never realised that the man who helped her was the Caliph.

Once, a Christian filed a case against Maula Ali in a court. Maula Ali was the Caliph at that time and the Christian was very sure that he will not consent to be brought up in the court. He was shocked when Maula Ali consented to be tried against by the court and even more so, when the court decided in the Christian’s favour and Maula Ali accepted the court’s ruling. He was the Caliph, yet he let himself be tried by the law like a common person, accepting the verdict against him. This act so shocked the Christian that he kissed Maula Ali’s hand reverently and converted to Islam at that point. Maula Ali even asked him if someone was forcing him to convert to Islam to which that Christian replied that he converted on his accord because he was intrigued by the religion of which Ali was a follower. That was the legacy of Maula Ali.

Maula Ali is revered as a moral and ethical man. His teachings on law and equity are still applicable today. Kofi Annan in 2002 said and I quote, ‘"The Caliph Ali Bin Abi Talib is considered the fairest governor who appeared during human history (After the Prophet Muhammed)". 

The United Nations has even advised countries to take example of Maula Ali when establishing regimes and a legal system based on justice and equity.

1000 words or even 3000 words are not sufficient to cover the morally good acts of Maula Ali. It is like counting the drops of water in all the oceans and seas of the world. But if my article intrigued you to find out more about this interesting personality with an unassailable moral character, I would implore you to read the book Nahjul Balagha. The book won’t compel you to convert to Islam but it will blow away your senses as you will begin to scratch the surface of the man you know as Ali Ibn Abi Talib.


July 12, 2021 16:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.