2 comments

Thriller Funny

I just finished the last bit of available food. That should last me a little while. I worry how I’ll find more food. I’ll worry about that later.

I still have plenty of water. As long as the deep thirst doesn’t hit me. If it does, I’ll need to ignore the urges. They come on so strongly and quickly.

I must be strong. The food will take a while to process. But if I drink, I’ll need to relieve myself. There is no place for me to do that. I would have to use my bed. Well, the pile of blankets in the corner of the room that I use as my bed. That’s what I would have to use. I much resist water and elimination at all cost.

I’m also thinking that the food was a mistake. I could throw it up. It could sit on the floor. If I need it later, I might be able to eat the undigested bits. It might not be enjoyable, but it will be sustenance.

I hear something. Someone is walking up to the door. I carefully look out the window. It’s him again. I can’t let him see me. He cannot know I’m home. My safety is in danger. I drop to my stomach and close my eyes.

The chime! He rang the chime. I have always hated that noise. It sounds in every room in the house. It’s loud and long. Some people ring it multiple times in a row. He only rings it once. I start to shake in fear. I am unsure what he is doing outside or how long he will be here. He has come before. I do not like when he comes. I finally hear him leaving.

I settle my breathing. I can feel myself relaxing. I open my eyes. I notice how heavy my eyelids feel. I’m still on the ground by the window, but the sun. It’s coming in. The warm. Right down my back…

I’d fallen asleep. How long had I been asleep for? I’m unsure. I go to move but I feel stiff and thirsty. To ignore the thirst, I stretch. Since I’m already on the ground, I lift my belly off the ground and round my back. Then I straighten it. I swiftly stretch my legs behind me, lifting my head to the ceiling.  I shift my weight backwards and lift my back-end to the sky while straightening out my front to be level with the ground. I move back to neutral. I give everything one good shake and then I start to move back to the kitchen.

Right before getting there, I stop. Going into the kitchen will make me think of food and water. One of which I don’t have and the other which I have little of. I instead move back into the living room. I consider taking a voluntary nap. I cannot seem to shake the sleepy from my body.

I can’t sleep much recently. Last night, there were too many people here. There were so many loud noises, so many moving feet, so much everything. There was food on everyone’s plates, but no one gave me any. Instead they kept touching me…wanting me to sit on their laps…telling me to behave and then I could get some food. A couple things were offered, and as hungry as I was, I was too nervous. I didn’t know any of these people. I couldn’t sleep; I had to keep watching. Making sure I wasn’t touched or held in a way I am not comfortable. The night was long.

I hear something else. There is more movement outside. It’s across the street. I see them. It’s a friend, I had recently met. They are out with their parents. Their parents seem so nice. They always play together. They always have new toys. I look around and only see my pile of blankets. I want to run around outside and play with the friend and their toys.

I still feel sleepy. I see the sofa, soft, with a beam of sunshine across it. I know I shouldn’t, but I want to lay in that sunshine. As I walk towards it, I remembered what happened last time.

I was caught. On the sofa. Asleep. There was a lot of yelling. I was made to move. I can’t be found again on the sofa. I move instead to my blankets. My only toy and security. I find a comfortable position and close my eyes.

I am awoken by another noise. This one, I think, I know. They are home. They have returned.

I open my eyes and I wait.

***

“Roger, we are home!”

“Hmm…I can’t seem to find him.”

“He’s probably on the blankets. You should go and give him his new bed; I saw the package was delivered today.”

“Hopefully he won’t destroy this one.”

“If he does, we’ll just get him a new one. Pull out his toys as well, I’m sure he’s missed those. One day I hope we’ll be able to leave them out for him without fear of him chocking on them. I’ll get some dinner ready for him.”

“Hi Roger, sweetie, look at the new bed we bought you. Isn’t it soft? I think you are going to like this one! We can even put your blankets on top to make it feel even softer. Do you wanna play with your toys tonight?”

“Just got him some dinner. Maybe we can also give him a chew bone tonight! Hopefully it won’t upset his tummy. He did great yesterday with all those people over; I just wanna give him a little reward.”

“I know! I was nervous. But he survived his first party.”

“I’m not going to lie, I was very hesitant about getting a rescue dog, but this one really has stolen my heart in such a short period of time. Hopefully he loves us as much as we love him.”

“I’m sure he will.”   

***

I have survived another day. 

July 03, 2020 22:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Nandan Prasad
06:31 Jul 13, 2020

Hey, great story! The narration was absolutely brilliant and darkly comic. The concept was well-executed, so no critique here. Very well-written! Also, would you mind checking out my stories if it is not too much trouble? Thanks and good luck!

Reply

Kat Gruszka
18:03 Jul 13, 2020

Thank you so much! Of course I don't mind!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.