Insolitus - The Strange

Submitted into Contest #51 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy


Irene


The first time I saw the word Insolitus was in my Dad's files. I saw the word when I was eleven and when I asked him he told me that I should never say the word to anyone. My parents have always been like that, cautiously answering every question I asked them because I was always so curious. But when I asked Dad that day, he was incredibly stern about it.


Dad had the position of Lieutenant in the Army and I always believed he was never afraid of anything. But it was clear to me back then that Dad feared the word and it only sparked up my curiosity. Who were they? Or more like what were they? Why did Dad have a sense of anxiousness when I asked him? Why is this to be kept a secret? All these questions bloomed in my head, but I couldn't ask anyone. 


When I was twelve, I eavesdropped on my parents and overheard a conversation about how the Insolitus were 'taken care of' now. I wondered what that meant. The way Dad spoke about them were like they weren't even human. I asked Mom that night and she said with finality, "You don't have to worry about them, Irene, but make sure your father or anyone else doesn't hear that word ever again. Promise me you won't." I promised her and that was the last time I asked my parents about them.  


Even though it seemed my parents wanted to ignite fear in me, I'm glad I wasn't afraid when I finally met one. 


~


Eric


I've been on the run for six years. I always keep moving from place to place like some nomad, but I'm used to not having a permanent residence at this point.


It's the year 2035 and, except for my best friend, I'm pretty much on my own now. It's frustrating honestly, to always stay alert, not trusting anyone and pretending to be a normal teenager and go to high school. James finds it a waste of time, which is why he stays back in our apartment and checks the news to see if there is anything new to report. He's the only person I can trust.


Now, I walk down the clean, polished, checkered floors of Liberty High. I try to fit in as much as possible. James says that I shouldn't risk myself from being caught, but I've been careful most of the time. Plus, so far, no one has caught me and I believe no one ever will.


Everyone in Liberty High considers me an introverted guy who excels in every class. People normally don't bother me. I enjoy that better than finding someone to have a mindless conversation with. The only person who I can be my true self with is James, who's been there for me for a long time, when we both survived a terrible accident before - but the others didn't.


I let that thought slip away as I reach my locker when the bell rings. Crap, I was late, but I didn't really care about that. As I shut the locker, everyone has already dashed into their respective classrooms. Suddenly, the pile of books in my hands tumble to the floor. "Damn it," I muttered, looking at the spilt books on the floor. The hall was empty and quiet; there were no cameras around the corridors either.


With one swift motion of my hand, the books rose from the ground in order, repelling gravity. The books hovered in the air for one split second and into my arms. "Phew," I said, under my breath.


"Holy shit," someone said, behind me, making me freeze with fear. I slowly turned my head and noticed Irene Collins, clutching her books tightly, looking at me with her enlarged blue eyes. "What the-"


"You saw nothing," I interrupted her and strode to class without a second glance.


~


Irene


I couldn't believe what I saw, when those books floated in the air like magic. Eric Austins and I never talked with one another; that was the first time he even acknowledged me in any way. Hell that was the first time he acknowledged anyone. I couldn't believe it, how in the world did he manage to...to levitate the books off the floor?


Sitting in Biology class, I couldn't help giving sidelong glances in his direction. As usual, he was writing notes in his thick notebook- one of the notebooks to actually hover in the air and into his arms, to be precise. How did he do that? Has he always been able to float things like magic? I glanced at him and somehow it seemed that he knew that I was looking at him. It was just a feeling, not that he ever looked in my way. I wanted to know more. Maybe I could ask Eric during lunch break, if he's willing to tell me. It's worth a shot, however, I don't really have such high hopes.


I wonder what Tia would think about this? Tia Johansen, my best friend since my first day in Liberty High. She always thought that Eric Austins was hot and I believe she even has a crush on him, but unfortunately Eric keeps people in an icy distance.


Eric turns carefully in my direction as if checking if I'm looking at him. I should've turned the other way, but I didn't and suddenly I feel embarrassed that he caught me staring at him. My face began to feel warm as I hurriedly looked back in my notebook. I still felt like he was glancing this way. Shit.


I really needed some answers.


~


Eric


How could I have been so stupid? Although I did check the bloody corridors where the hell did she come from? Lord, maybe she just stepped out of the bathroom. And she actually saw me using my powers...Damn it. All I know is that James is gonna kill me. He always warns me before I leave the apartment, "Be careful, Eric. Don't get caught, alright?"


Now I have. I am done for. And Irene Collins is supposed to be the daughter of the freaking Lieutenant. She's bound to tell him what she saw. I need to warn James, what if the Army thinks that there are more people associated with me? They might bust into our apartment and capture James too, who's been there for me like a brother. And this is how I repay him? By being a careless idiot?


I focus on what the teacher is saying about the current chapter but it's really difficult considering the nagging feeling of fear in the back of my head. My head really hurts; it always hurts when I'm under pressure. I turn slowly to see if Collins is looking at me and sure enough she is. She hurriedly looks back down in her notebook, flustered. I wonder what's going on inside her head. She's gonna tell her father and I'm doomed. We can't trust anyone, James and I knew that.


Seriously, I am an idiot. I look away from her, feeling sick. I try to take notes but really get distracted. After the bell rings, I rush out the classroom and towards the cafeteria. I buy a dry looking sandwich and grab a bottle of water and sit down in my usual table. I gulp the water down and look over my biology textbook to understand what the teacher had taught. I understood each and every word while reading in one go and began to write notes immediately. Having special abilities, everyone of my type had an advance mind. I focused on writing the notes and shutting everyone out. It was pretty easy for me to do that, I have managed to do that a lot in my life.


Suddenly, someone settles a tray right opposite me and takes a seat. It's none other than Collins herself. I could feel her eyes train on me, probably hoping if I will acknowledge her in any way. But I don't say anything and only focus on my notes. I'll just ignore her and she'll probably leave, I've seen a lot of girls do so. They just seem irritated that I don't care to notice them and they leave me be. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case with her. "Hey," she says.


I glance up at her and realize she's been staring at my notes the entire time. "I...what happened earlier...well," she keeps talking and trailing away.


"Get to the point," I reply looking at her fully now. I don't mean to sound so harsh, but it comes out as such. Plus, I'm really stressed.


"You have powers," she says in a low voice, which sounded more like to herself then me.


"I have no idea what you're talking about," I reply, crossing my arms and leaning against the chair. I know that Collins is not stupid but I still hoped that she only assumed what she saw and believed none of that was real. Quite unluckily for me, she crossed her own arms and looked at me incredulously.


"Look, I know what I saw, don't try to pretend that you don't know what I'm talking about," she replied, narrowing her eyes. Her eyes were so blue which reminded me of the ocean, the sky and sapphires. "You levitated those books from the floor. I saw it go float to your hands like magic. That was incredible."


"That was no magic, Collins," I told her in a serious tone.


"I guess not, but I don't know what else to say," she said, looking at me with wonder.


"Can't you just let this go and leave me alone?" I asked her, focusing back in my notebook.


"I can't," Collins said. "I want to know more about you."


"Get lost," I said, coldly. She'll probably let me be if I was cruel to her.


Collins gave me a measured look then she pushed her bag with her elbow and, out of reflex, I reached my hand out and stopped it in mid-air. The cafeteria doors opened as the other students walked in and I let it drop, cursing myself. "Like I said, I know what I saw," Collins said, giving me a satisfied smile and picking up her bag.


"Aren't you just going to tell your father what I did?" I asked, quickly. That was really nagging me and now that she's seen it twice, I can't hide it. This girl...was really getting into my nerves.


"No, I'm not gonna do that," Collins said, casually, opening her bottle of water.


"Why not?" I asked her, confused. "After all, you're supposed to be the daughter of the Lieutenant of the Army. You're one of those people who are supposed to be against me."


Collins looked at me and asked, genuinely looking confused, "Why should I be?"


"Don't you people have a specific term for us?" I asked instead. So the Lieutenant doesn't share anything about the people who she should or should not trust?


She still looks confused, with her eyebrows furrowed. But in a flash, her expression changes into shock like she remembered something she had forgotten. "Oh my God," she whispered. "You're an Insolitus?"


~


Irene


Eric rolled his eyes at me. "Yes," he said in a bored tone as if tired of hearing that word. "The government and the Army call us that."


I stared at him. So...basically an Insolitus was someone with powers? But they're humans...right? Eric seemed perfectly human to me, then why were they considered dangerous? Was he dangerous? Looking at his messy dark hair and grey eyes, with his annoyed expression he looked anything but dangerous. What did my parents mean then? And if they were supposed to be taken care of...then why was he here? I wanted to ask him everything so I started questioning him, hoping for an answer.


"But if you're an Insolitus, you're supposed to be dangerous, right?" I asked.


"Not all of us," he muttered.


"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked him, curiously.


"Don't you listen to your father? He might have warned you about us and yet you're conversing with one," Eric said, clearly trying to get rid of me.


"You expect me to be afraid of someone like you?" I asked him, raising an eyebrow. "I know you won't hurt me."


"Where did you get that impression? I could hurt you if you don't leave me alone," he replied threateningly and he actually sounded serious. I looked into his cold grey eyes, and wondered if he actually would hurt me. But somehow, I wasn't afraid of him, despite the fact that he could probably launch me a hundred feet in the air and drop me. But would he really risk that knowing I was the Lieutenant's daughter? He knew who my father was and was perhaps afraid of him. "I hope you're thinking wisely Collins," he added before flipping through his notes. 


"Well, I just know you wouldn't hurt me," I said, seemingly brave. "However, I'm just genuinely curious about your kind."


"Is there something you want?" he asked, coldly. "Cuz I'm busy right now."


"Actually I wanted to make a deal with you," I told him, clasping my fingers together.


"What deal?"


I pressed my lips and hopefully sounding bold, I said, "If you tell me more about the Insolitus, I won't tell my father about you."

July 19, 2020 19:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.