2 comments

Coming of Age Fantasy Sad

Note: I know Dr.reyes died in the movie and the mutants went their separate ways but I didn't wanna come up with a completely different character and setting a back story so lets pretend my OC was always here ok? Ok?

Another Note: Otom is pronounced Autumn in the story.



I’d been here for a solid month now, I knew the rules and the people. I still shrank back. We're back in the attic again, chilling when Illyana tapped my shoulder.

“Lie detector now.” she said in a thick accent.

“Why do I have to? Let Dani go.” I pulled my knees to my chin.

“Go. Oh what’s that Lockie, mmm yes. Go-o-o or else.”

She shoved me off the couch and I sat in the other chair as she hooked up the machine.

“Alrighty…” She purred. “Is your name really magic?”

“My name Elivi means magic…but I prefer my middle name Oto-”

“There's only one Magik here.” She screamed.

Dani stopped in her engaged conversation with Rahne.

“Chill out Illyana.”

Loud clicking noises emerge as Dr.Reyes appears in the room.

“You are supposed to be in bed. All of you.” She sounds harsh, but soft. “Solitary confinement, all of you.”

As we emerge from the attic and into the hallway with our cells she says, “See you in the morning.” to everyone. Illyana rolls her eyes and mutters, “I’ll see you in hell.”

As I enter my cell, Dr.Reyes stops me.

“You need to become friends with someone around here. Illyana is not going to be your tormentor for life.”

I sigh, “Sam and Bobby barely say hi to me, Illyana is well...yeah, Rahne is always going her religious ways to the chapel, Dani is just...she just stares at me.” Dr.Reyes sighs pats my shoulder.

“Good night Otom.” She closes the cell door behind her then the lights go off.



“Today's topic is about friendship.” Dr.Reyes smiles.

Illyana rolls her eyes. “Grab the blindfold that I have placed in front of you.” I grab mine and wrap it around my head. “Illyana go sit with Bobby,Sam go sit with Rahne and Dani go sit with Otom.”

I heard the sounds of sneakers hitting the floor. 

“Lead your blindfolded friend outside, and talk to them, and guide them around the place.”

A hand was placed and I placed one foot down then another, then another. 

“Don’t go too fast now,” Dani chuckles. I know we are outside because I felt the stairs beneath my feet.

“Can I sit on the fountain?” I ask. Dani steers me in a different direction then helps me sit down.

“So....how did you get here?” she asks.

I’m surprised she doesn’t know, “Uhm...I got my dad and mom killed.”

“How?”

I gulped, “I mutated into their boss at work.. and made sure my mom and dad got more pay... but things got out of control... I made the whole The Pacific Ocean come on the edge of California... I made hundreds die… and my parents drowned in their work building...”

I knew Dani would not want to be friends with me afterwards.

She gripped harder onto my arm.

“Oh god.” Is all she said. We sat there quietly.

“If I go out into public, they could execute me.” I trembled, looking away. But I could always duplicate myself, I thought silently.

I quickly teleported to the chapel, leaving a duplicate there. I took off my blindfold and heard muttering.

“...awful sinful sins, in father's name we pray amen.”

“Rahne?” There was a shriek as I walked closer towards the closet.

“No, Father Craig Sinclair...no not again.” 

The door flew open, and Rahne screamed but stopped.

“Forgive me.” She smiled.

“It’s all good.” I didn’t see Sammy with her anywhere.

“Where's Sammy?” I ask.

“He kind of ran off…” Rahne replied.

“I did too I guess.”

Rahne looked shocked, “Dani will not be happy.”

I stepped to the side, and another duplicate of me appeared.

“You can duplicate?” She asked, shocked.

“I can also do water manipulation.”

“Can you-”

“I’m not showing you.” I said, clenching my fists.

She edged back towards the cabinet. 

“Sorry…” Rahne lets out a sigh then the chapel door opens.

“Otom?” Dani yells.

I could see her hands swinging at the musty cobwebs.

“Yes.” I said wanting to teleport back to the fountain.

“Why are there two of you-” Dani said, stepping towards Rahne and I.

“Uhm…”

She crossed your arms, “Wait, was that a duplicate of you at the fountain?” I nodded carefully.

She sighed.

“I think Dr. Reyes wants us back inside.” She eyed Rahne quickly.

We all shuffled out the chapel in a haste, but I relocated myself to Dr.Reyes. 

“The others?” She asked.

“On there way.”

I sat down on the meditation mat and hugged my knees. When Dani, Rahne, Illyana, Bobby, and Sammy arrived, Dr.Reyes gave us a sheet to fill out of the experience. Afterwards we headed to the cafeteria and Bobby whipped up some ice cream.

I sat at the edge of a table in the back. When Bobby came over, bobbing his head to whatever music, he slammed my bowl down.

My hand flew up faster than I intended to and grabbed the wire of his headphones.

“Jesus!” He cried.

“You don’t slam down my bowl got it?” I felt everyone's eyes staring at me. He nodded. I let him go and pulled out my journal. I had a bunch of things in it on how to renew California.

*duplicate self a zillion gazillion times to help California out

*Turn myself into the FBI

*Teleport to see the damage and how well they're doing.


No,no,no,no. I’d never renew the heart of Los Angeles. I cried, salty tears.

“Cheapskate,” Illyana called out. “What's wrong with you?” I gritted my teeth.

“Nothing.”

I heard her heels clicking towards me.

“Tell me.”

I got up and clenched my fists.

“I said nothing.”

She laughed, “Like I’d believe that.”

I was ticked. “Alright, you wanna know what's wrong? Huh? You and everyone else here! You're just blondy know it all who thinks she all that when she’s worth as much as a piece of garbage. You talk to some purple sewed puppet who gives you alllllll the answers. Bobby burns all the girls he touches, he doesn’t want to admit though because why? Because again he thinks he is all that. And Dani you're just a living nightmare, don’t think Illyana was the only one who figured your power. You were the one who killed your dad. It’s all your fault we can’t be let out of this place. Rahne is just some freaky religious weirdo who is branded. Sammy you should rot in jail because of what you did-”

“And what about me Elivi?” I turned around. Dr. Reyes was standing there. I gulped.

“Caught by the dragon.” Illyana whispers. I'm so done. I whip around again with a fist flying. Illyana catches, but not in time. I teleport behind her and punch the heck out of her.

“ELIVI.” Dr. Reyes yells, coming towards me. In the span of seven seconds, I manipulate the dishwater in the cafeteria sink. I bring it down on Dr.Reyes and form it into a bubble.

Illyana is on the floor, petrified. Dani and Rahne are backing up in the corner. Sammy is gone. And Bobby is standing eerily still. Dr.Reyes is muttering but I can tell what she’s saying.

“You killed dozens of people, almost drowned out the whole Pacific, if you kill me there's no way out of this mess.” I took the bubble off of her.

“I’ll never fix it…” I whispered. I shrank back.

“Monster.” Illyana trembled. 

Dani and Rahne looked at each other, then at me.

“I can’t believe you,” Rahne whispered. “I thought you were the good guy.” I shrank back even farther.

“Talk about a hassle.” Bobby muttered. Then without knowing it teleported myself out of the hospital.



December 04, 2020 14:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

I just read this over and found some mistakes.... :<

Reply

Show 0 replies

Thanks for liking Felicity and Amber!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.