The Crap That Will Never Happen

Submitted into Contest #28 in response to: Write about a secret that you’ve never told to the person you love.... view prompt

7 comments

Creative Nonfiction Romance Sad

The Crap That Will Never Happen #1: Any of these delusional fantasies will ever come true. 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #2: You will find out about any of these delusional fantasies.

The Crap That Will Never Happen #3: You don't know me. We pass, walking on the sidewalk of a busy street. You see my shirt. You say, "Cool shirt. I like Fall Out Boy, too." That's it. That's all. 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #6: I finally get up the courage to talk to you. I ask for your number. 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #7: You give it to me. 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #11: You call. I answer. We talk. That's all. That's it. 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #14: You call. I answer. You ask if I want to hang out. Maybe go for a walk. Maybe go to a movie. Maybe get some food. 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #15: We do all four. 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #27: You call. I answer. You ask about all the shouting at my end of the phone. I tell you, "The house is tearing itself apart". "Oh," you say, "that sounds dangerous. Want out?" I go. 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #32: You finally come by the house. Get a glimpse inside. Maybe two. "How about this?" you ask. "We can run away." It's a joke, but it still makes me smile. 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #33: I find the courage to call. You answer. I ask if you want to hang out. 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #34: You say yes. 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #45: I call. You answer. I ask if you want to go to the zoo. I tell you, "The house is tearing itself apart again." We don't come back for a long time. 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #63: We are somewhere. Maybe a beach. Maybe a bridge. Maybe just somewhere that isn't here. I find the courage to tell you about the house. About how it eats itself. Ravenously. A carnivore ripping at itself until nothing is left. 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #64; You listen. Nod. Maybe say yours does the same. Maybe say I'm not the only one. 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #72: I call. You answer. I find the courage to tell you how I feel. 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #73: You say you feel the same. 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #76: I call. You answer. I say, "The house is tearing itself apart again." 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #87: We leave. Run away. This time it isn't a joke. 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #108: I never go back. 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #120: We are happy. 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #131: Any of this will be real. 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #139: Any of this is true. 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #147: The house will stop tearing itself apart. 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #156: I tell you everything. 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #162: I call. You answer. 

The Crap That Will Never Happen #199: I call. 

February 10, 2020 17:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

14:45 Feb 26, 2020

Super relatable. I love it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kari Hyp
20:14 Feb 21, 2020

So relatable and beautifully written!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amelia F
01:35 Feb 20, 2020

I found it very relatable.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Salom :)
03:58 Nov 20, 2020

The title grabbed my eye from the start. It's very relatable and I love the way you wrote it!

Reply

K. M. Carpenter
14:10 Nov 20, 2020

Thank you so much! It was difficult to write because it is based on real events, but I'm so glad you could relate to it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
K. M. Carpenter
18:43 Feb 26, 2020

Thank you all :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Carly Arden
08:50 May 28, 2022

GREAT LOVE SPELL CASTER DR PETER THAT HELP ME SAVE MY RELATIONSHIP. TEXT OR ADD HIM UP ON WHATSAPP +2348162247974 My name is CARLY ARDEN. I want to give thanks to DR PETER for bringing back my ex husband. No one could have ever made me believe that the letter I’m about to write would actually one day be written. I was the world’s biggest skeptic. I never believed in magic spells or anything like this, but I was told by a reliable source (a very close co-worker) that Trust is a very dedicated, gifted, and talented person, It was one of the b...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.