The Glass Reflection

Submitted into Contest #101 in response to: Write a story that involves a reflection in a mirror.... view prompt

2 comments

Drama Fiction Contemporary

The apartment building was old with cracked linoleum in the entryway. Rissa wrinkled her nose at the moldy smell in the elevator. It shook and rattled so much, she wished she’d lugged her two suitcases up the stairs instead. The elevator finally spit her out on the third floor, where she was greeted with paper thin carpet that looked original to the building.

             Rissa dragged her belongings to 304 and sighed. It had been a long day, and now this sticky, unfamiliar place would be home indefinitely.

             Sliding the key into the lock she wrestled with it a minute before the door finally swung open. The small studio apartment was tired and worn but it smelled of Clorox and lemons. Some paint and bright accessories would liven up the dull, gray walls. Rissa would make it a home, but she couldn’t help doubting herself for leaving her bright, homey bungalow in the suburbs for this.

             Putting down her bags, she surveyed the sparsely furnished room. She would need to go back out for supplies, she realized as she plopped into a wooden chair.

             Would this day ever end? It was dinnertime and she was exhausted. The emotions following a fight with Thomas always left her feeling depleted. And the fight this morning had been epic. It didn’t take much to set Thomas off.

             Her husband had left her sobbing as he stormed out for work with threats of cutting her off their bank account. After a good cry, Rissa got up and started throwing things in a bag with no plan, but she’d had enough. Thomas had never laid a hand on her, but his venomous words left bruises just the same.

             Rissa went into the little bathroom and splashed cold water on her face and was shocked at her tired, pale complexion in the mirror. Studying her large green eyes and dark blonde hair, she decided she deserved better.

             “You deserve better,” she said, out loud, her voice thin and uncertain.

             “You deserve better,” she said again, stronger this time. Maybe now she could start to believe it.

             Rissa’s phone vibrated, and she instinctively knew it would be Thomas. He would be home now, furious that dinner wasn’t waiting for him. What lengths would he go to find her, she wondered? Once he found out she had taken money out of their account, he’d be on the hunt, so she had kept driving until she had found this small town. The historic buildings were charming, and she’d even seen a used bookstore in the shopping center by the Piggly Wiggly.

             That night Rissa lay for hours on the unmade bed worrying. She wished she had picked up a paperback to take her mind off what she had done. Eventually she fell into an exhausted sleep and woke up with the first morning light.

             “What have I done?” she said, to herself, as she got her bearings in the unfamiliar place. She texted her friend Tina for support, but she would be busy getting kids up and out for school. On her own now, she made a list of things she would need. Thomas would expect her to cower back home but a strength she didn’t know she possessed resisted that path. 

             Walking up and down the quaint street, Rissa familiarized herself with the town, hoping to find a job. It was too early for stores to be open, so she bought a juice and a stale, muffin at the grocery store and sat in a little park. It was quiet, but the town was slowly coming to life. Maybe she should have gone to a city where she could just blend in, but something about this place felt safe, and Rissa hadn’t felt safe in a long time.

             At ten a little yellow Subaru pulled in front of the bookstore and a medium built brunette got out, rushing to open the store. The woman had short, spikey hair and wore bright red lipstick. Anxious for something to do, Rissa followed her in and began browsing while she opened the store.

             “Can I help you, honey?” she asked, as she opened the cash registrar.

             “Just looking,” Rissa told her. “Where are your mysteries?”

             “Here, I’ll show you,” she laughed. “This place is like a maze.”

             Rissa followed her around the corner and down two aisles, when a black cat jumped out at them.

             “Oh!” Rissa said, startled.

             “That’s just Misty,” the woman explained. “If you sit, she’ll be in your lap in a heartbeat.”

             The cat trailed behind them meowing. 

             “Here are the mysteries. I’m Debbie if you need anything,” she said. “I’ll just be up front.”

             They heard the jingle of the door as she headed back that way.

             Rissa took her time browsing, enjoying herself with barely a thought to Thomas. His angry texts and calls kept coming, so she’d turned off her phone.

             Time passed as Rissa got lost in the bookstore. It was her happy place. There was a little nook with an overstuffed chair, so she helped herself. As soon as she sat, Misty came out of nowhere and jumped in her lap.

             “Nice kitty,” she said, as it purred. 

             “What did I tell you,” Debbie said, coming down the aisle. 

             “You warned me,” Rissa laughed. 

             “She’s up for adoption, if you’re interested,” Debbie told her. 

             “I would love a cat, but I just moved here,” Rissa explained. “I don’t even have a job yet.”

             “What kind of work are you looking for?”

             “Retail probably,” Rissa pondered. “I haven’t really worked in a while. You wouldn’t happen to have anything, would you?” she asked, hopefully.

             “As a matter of fact, I do,” Debbie said. “Do you have any experience working in a bookstore?”

             “I’ve done retail, but not specifically books, although I am an avid reader,” she added, wistfully.

             “Well, that’s good. Why don’t I show you around? Do you have time? Maybe you could help me organize some books and see if it’s something you’d be interested in.”

             “Oh, I’d love too,” Rissa said, getting up. Misty reluctantly jumped down. “Sorry, Misty,” Rissa petted the cat. 

             “So, what brings you to Hartsville? We’re a small community.”

             Rissa wanted to be honest without giving out all the ugly details of her marriage. “I’m recently separated,” she finally said. “And I like the smalltown feel of this place.”

             “Wonderful. Well, I’m divorced too,” Debbie said. “We women need to stick together. I’ve been divorced for ten years, and I came here and opened my business. No regrets,” she added. “Best decision I ever made for myself.”

             Rissa didn’t know what to say to that. She hoped it was for her too. Something about Debbie set her at ease and she felt like she might have a confidant.

             After showing Rissa the ropes, the little shop got busy, so Rissa kept working. It was after 4pm by the time things calmed down.

             “You’re hired, if you want it,” Debbie said. “You’ve already put in a day,” she laughed. “It’s not usually this busy, but we get a lot of donations. We’re a nonprofit.  We support the local animal shelter.”

             “That’s wonderful,” Rissa said, impressed. “And I would love to work here.”

             “It’s minimum wage,” Debbie warned her. “You’ve been a big help today.”

             “I’ll take it,” she said. The rent on her studio apartment was very affordable, so she hoped she’d make ends meet. She couldn’t turn down a job. Rissa felt elated with this new development.   All the pieces were falling into place like it was meant to be.

             “Terrific. Why don’t you run and get us some sandwiches? My treat?”

             As Rissa headed to the diner down the street, she happened to glance at her phone. Forty-seven missed calls from Thomas and loads of angry texts.  What was she going to do? He would find her eventually and make trouble for her. He tried to turn her friends against her. It didn’t work but it made things so strained she finally lost touch with most of them. What if he came to her workplace?          The excitement over her new job didn’t last long once Rissa realized she’d need to warn Debbie Thomas might show up. He would bad mouth her and he could make trouble for the business. 

             By the time Rissa returned with their lunch, she was so worried she didn’t think she could eat.

             “Are you having second thoughts about the job?” Debbie asked, as soon as she walked in. “You look upset.”

             “No. But there is something I need to tell you,” Rissa admitted. 

             “What is it, honey?”

             “My husband might show up and say some things about me.  He isn’t violent, but he could make some trouble for you. So, I understand if you change your mind,” Rissa said, holding her breath. She set the sandwiches down on the crowded counter. Stacks of books were everywhere.

             “Oh, don’t you worry about me,” she said, with such confidence it gave Rissa hope. “I was married to someone like that! I won’t put up with that crap! Trust me, honey. He won’t cause trouble here.”

             “But he might make a scene,” Rissa pointed out.

             “My brother-in-law is a cop in town. He won’t make trouble for long,” Debbie said, with assurance. “You’re in the right place, sweetie. This was meant to be. I just know it!”

             “I think so too,” Rissa said, heaving a sigh of relief. 

             As she washed up in the restroom, Rissa looked at herself fearlessly in the mirror. “You deserve better,” she told herself, and for once she was starting to believe it.

July 09, 2021 17:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Marie McLaughlin
05:30 Jul 15, 2021

Needs some editing, but it's inspirational. Nice work!

Reply

Amy Gupta
21:49 Jul 15, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.