0 comments

Adventure Romance Fiction

It was a beautiful snowy day in January and I was driving on a two-lane road in the middle of nowhere. I was heading to a ski resort for a week getaway when my car broke down. 

            “What in the world,” I said out loud as my car just stopped. “I know I have enough gas to get there, I just filled up the tank.”

            I try turning the key off and back on, but nothing, not even a sputter. “Great! Now what? I am about six miles from the resort and it’s freezing outside,” I said to myself. I check my cellphone and of course there is no service out here and the snow was picking up.

            I get out of the car anyway, grab my suitcase and start walking through the snow pulling my luggage with me. I must have walked for two miles at least, when I saw a driveway, or I think it is. It’s an opening in the trees at least. I decided to take a chance and walk a few fifty feet down that clearing in hopes of finding civilization. As I walked approximately thirty-six feet, I saw it, a cabin. There was smoke coming out the chimney which was scary at least that there’s was someone inside, and also it was a blessing because I was cold. 

            As I walked up to the door, I stood there for a minute or two trying to figure out if I should knock or not. I mean, I am a women all alone in the middle of no where. 

            Before I could knock on the door, I hear a voice behind me.

            “Good afternoon. Are you lost?” the voice said.

            I turn around startled and came face to face with a man about 5’11” tall, completely bundled up so that I couldn’t even make out his face. Before I could speak, he continued.

            “I am sorry. I didn’t mean to startle you. My name is Troy Johnson and I own the cabin. I come up here a few times a year to decompress. I am a Police Officer from Detriot. What is your name and why are you walking through the woods in the middle of a snow storm?” he asked.

            “First Officer Troy, I am freezing. Do you mind if we go inside?” I asked.

            “I am sorry. Yes, let’s go inside and get warmed up. I have some coffee on as well,” he said.

            We walked in and immediately the warmth from the fire felt so good. He dropped the firewood by the fireplace and took off his coat and hat. Wow! How lucky could a woman be if he really is a cop, because he is drop dead gorgeous. The muscles on his arms, could pick me up and fuck me in his arms. Oh my, girl, get yourself together. Where did that thought come from?

            “So, your name? Where are you headed, and why are you walking around in the storm?” he asked again.

            “Oh, I am sorry. I got catch up in the heat. My name is Perla Lettiere. I am from Highland Park and I was on my way to the ski resort a few miles up the road and my car just died. I have no idea what happened. I have no cell service, so my options were to walk the rest of the way to the resort and pray I made it before I froze or sit in my car and freeze. I choose to walk. I saw the opening in the trees and walked this way, praying it would leave me to somewhere to warm up and hopefully ride out this storm that seems to have come out of nowhere,” I replied.

            “Well, Perla, it is nice to meet you. My car is around back, but the roads are all closed now due to the storm. We are in the middle of a blizzard. I guess you missed that on the weather report. I have a spare room and enough food and wood for us both to make it a week without needing to eat sparingly. My badge and ID are on the kitchen counter. Feel free to look at it. The spare room is down that hall on the second door on the left. The first door on the left is the bathroom. Please feel free to make yourself at home. There is the one TV here in the living room, no phone, but there is internet. I try to disconnect as much as possible when I am here. I will add more wood to the fire and start us something to eat,” he said.

            For the next four days, we stayed shut up in that cabin. He would take care of the fire and we would split the cooking. On the evening of the fourth night, that’s when our relationship changed. That’s the night my whole world changed. 

We were sitting on the couch watching a horror movie on the TV, when he carefully but intentionally put his arm around my neck. I just glanced over at him with a questionable look and he smiled and said, “Just in case you get scared.”

I laughed and replied, “I don’t scare easily!”

“In the short time that I have known you, that I can definitely say I know about you. Anyone that would get in their car, drive in the middle of a blizzard on roads you have never driven on a normal day, and lets not forget, coming into my cabin without knowing who I was. Yea, I can say that there is probably not much that scares you,” he said.

At the end of the movie, I didn’t want to move. I had thought about what it would be like in his arms and tonight he drew me in close if for no other reason that the horror movie. But I really wanted that to not be the only reason. I wanted him to want me as much as I wanted him. Finally, I shifted and looked up at him. We set there gazing into each other’s eyes, in what felt like an eternity, and then he finally leaned down and kissed me. It was as if he’d been waiting on my permission and when I didn’t look away, he knew that I wanted him to kiss me as much as he wanted to. At first it was just a soft light kiss, but it turned into him forcing my mouth open with his tongue. After a few minutes we headed to his bedroom where we made love all night. 

            Who would have known that my whole life would have changed for the better when my car broke down that afternoon on my way to the ski resort. I had finally found love.

January 28, 2022 12:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.