0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Romance

A twig flung into Sylvana’s face as she raced through the dense forest. She didn’t slow down to the stinging wound, it made her feel alive. They flew over a fallen log, as she moved her body with her horse. Her blood pumped furiously in her veins.

“Come on, Colas, faster!” At the encouragement, the midnight black steed’s legs moved faster, their rhythm increased.

Sylvana’s body relaxed into the familiar exercise. The brackets around her mouth slowly disappeared as a slow serene smile spread across her royal features. The tension from her body seeped away. Forgetting about her duty and just enjoying the experience she dropped the reins, arms spread wide. Her carefree laugh echoed among the trees.

The two of them rode hard and fast. It was some time before they slowed down. When they arrived at the clearing she didn’t even bother to tie her horse.

“I needed that. Thank you, my friend.” she caught the great head and rubbed the silky nose. Colas neighed softly, bumping her hand affectionately. Sylvana’s heart gave a painful thump. “I’m sorry that this will be our last ride for a while. I can only hope they’ll at least let you come with me. But even then, the kingdom of Gaveron is known for its strict ruler. I doubt he’ll let me ride you.”

The animal bobbed its head as if in understanding. He stayed just a little longer before galloping to the little creek to drink. Sylvana could only smile at her friend’s antics.

“Enjoy your freedom, Colas. We might be in for a long confinement.”

She sat down at her usual tree, leaned against the old bark, and looked around with a sad smile. She would miss this place. This green forest had seen her grow from a mischievous young girl into the fine woman she was today. It saw her sad and angry, happy, and stubborn.

“Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to come here.” she murmured as the memories assaulted her at the familiar place.

“Oh, girly, you’re so right ‘bout that!”

Sylvana jumped to her feet at the slurred voice. She stumbled back in shock as four bulky men emerged from the forest. Their clothes were more rags than real garments, each had some kind of weapon in his hand: a hatchet, a knife, an ax, and even a bow. A tremor ran through the girl’s body at their smiles.

“Bad luck fo’ ya, good fo’ us.” cackled one of them. Sylvana’s nose scrunched up in disgust when the man licked his lips with a dreamy expression on his scarred face. “Come ‘ere, come ‘ere.”

Adrenaline surged through the young body. She sneaked closer to Colas. The steed had been standing on attention since the men’s arrival.

“You better leave this clearing. It is royal territory.” at her warning, laughter erupted from the bandits.

“You hear her, boys. Royal territory. Fancy words for a wee wench.” a slow smile spread on his cracked lips, revealing his missing and rotting teeth. “We don’ care ‘bout royal places. We want it, we take it. Show her, boys!”

As soon as the order left his mouth Sylvana was at her horse’s side and drew her weapons from the saddle. The incredulous snickers didn’t bother her as she let her dagger sail through the air. With an audible thump, it stopped in the middle of the bowman’s chest. They watched in utter disbelief as the man grabbed the weapon, lost his balance and crumpled to the ground.

“You… you killed Hareal.” the bandit’s disbelief quickly morphed into anger. “Get the wench, boys. She’ll learn her lesson.”

Raising their weapons the group let loose a battle cry. Sylvana was ready for the first man, she deflected his ax. She ducked quickly, not to lose her head to the second man. Her mouth a thin line in concentration, she was never this glad she had gone behind her father’s back and learned how to use a sword. But the numbers weren’t in her favor.

Just as she was about to disarm the second man, strong arms curled around her body and pressed her flash to a filthy body.

“Haha, gotcha, wench.” Sylvana started to gag from the odor of alcohol and rotten teeth from the man’s mouth. With all her strength she pushed, pulled, trashed, but those arms didn’t loosen. The other two men were already on them.

“Colas!”

As soon as the men’s attention was centered on the loyal horse she stomped onto the bandit’s foot. Spinning on her heels, she thrust her sword deep into the man. She didn’t have time to watch as her victim clenched his chest before falling to the ground, dead. Sylvana turned to the remaining two bandits. They were already running toward her, having seen their fellow die by her sword.

Her arm trembled from the force of their assault. Their anger was evident in their jerky but overpowering movements. It was clear that whatever their purpose had been with her, they had long abandoned those plans. Their only purpose was to kill her now.

At the next strike, her sword flew out of her hand in an elegant arc, landing far from her.

“Not so brave now, I see.” sneered the first man.

Sylvana knew she was in deep trouble. Since she had started coming here this was the first that she had faced any problems. It was such an irony that on the most important and most frightening day of her life everything should go wrong. She fought against the holding arms to no avail. Long minutes passed with sneers and taunts from the men. Finally feeling too exhausted she stopped her struggles.

“We’ll honor Hareal an’ Burin.” the leader told his partner. The malicious glint in his eyes didn’t give any hope for Sylvana. “Befo’ we sell her, we’ll enjoy this young body.” Sylvana tried to turn away from the stroking hands which only added to the enjoyment of the bandits.

“Don’t you dare, you filthy barbarian.”

The man’s body, who hold the young woman, shook with laughter. His partner wasn’t in such a good mood anymore. His face distorted with his anger. Sylvana gasped at the pain as he gripped her hair in a painful hold and forced her head back.

“What did ya say, wench?” he hissed into her face.

“I would heed her wishes.” said a new voice from behind them. Before anyone could move, a sharp blade emerged from behind her captor and rested against his throat. “Release the lady, if you wish to live.” the quiet words were delivered with such deadly promise it wasn’t lost on anyone. In a second Sylvana was backing away from the bandits and the unknown man.

Before the man at the point of the blade could take a step, he crumbled to the ground, unconscious. A dark-haired warrior stepped closer to his second target. His long hair reached just below his shoulder blades. The raven dark stresses shone in the rays of the sun. His angular jaw stood out a little at the sides making him look barbaric and strong in his masculinity. His height at closely one hundred and eighty centimeter added to his lean built which was covered in armor.

“I say you should learn from his mistakes before you meet the same fate.” he said, drawing his sword with an audible snick and balancing it on the bandit’s shoulder.

Sylvana held her breath until the man finally dropped his knife and held up his hands. Even though he was a bandit she wasn’t someone who enjoyed killing. Her hands still shook from the experience. Learning swordfight with a famous master and fighting for your life were two very different things. “Good decision.” she watched as the stranger raised his hand and struck the bandit with the hilt of his sword. Just like his friend, the man crumbled to the forest floor.

As the warrior turned toward Sylvana, the girl’s heart lurched to double rhythm. His deep bow was so elegant she suspected it wasn’t his first one.

“My Lady, I hope you were not injured.”

“No Sir, I’m fine. Thank you for your rescue.”

At her words, the stranger glanced around the clearing.

“It seems I wasn’t as needed as I had thought. A fine lady with such skills…”

His words sent warm pleasure coursed through Sylvana’s body. Everyone wanted her to be the perfect princess, but all she had ever wanted was to have a normal, simple life with all its struggles and fights. Learning fighting was against everything her parents had taught her, so it was the first time anyone other than her mentor commented on her skills.

“Thank you, for your kind words.” Sylvana felt her face heat up at his scrutinizing gaze. “But now we were left with these bandits.”

“Let me take care of them.” his sharp whistle echoed through the forest. A few seconds later a black shadow separated from the darkness of the foliage. A black horse galloped to the warrior. The man pulled out a long rope from the saddle bag and cut them with practiced moves. In a few moments, both bandits were bound. “I’m surprised to find a lady so far from everything. This country seems very sensitive to protect women.” This perked her curiosity.

“Are you from another country? A traveler?”

“Yes and no. My line of job allows me to travel, but very rarely for personal reasons.”

“Tell me about your travels. Even if it’s for work, you’re fortunate enough to visit other places. I would do almost anything for that kind of freedom.”

The stranger look at her with a raised eyebrow.

“We are sometimes blind to our own opportunities. But destiny will see to our paths. We might not like it at first, but we have to learn to live with it, and if possible, be content.” he said. “I can tell you about my travels, though they are far less than I would like. Still, getting away from the burden of everyday life, even if for a little while, I can say I’m lucky.”

They sat at the clearing for hours. Sylvana was amazed by the stranger’s tales. She laughed at many of his stories, cringed at others. She felt so carefree in his company, like never before. Without the stress of title, she could finally be whoever she wanted to be; a simple woman. She never had that in her life. She was always surrounded by servants, guards and everyone treated her like a princess. Her only escape was this clearing, but here she had never before met anyone.

When it was time to say their farewells, she wasn’t too eager. She felt connected to this man. His presence was so new, yet so refreshing after the life of court. During their short time, she had fallen just a little in love with this mysterious man.

Sylvana’s shoulder was heavy with the burden of duty. Her inner self cried out for the freedom she had been dreaming about, while her other side was bound to the commitment she had to her family and country. She didn’t want to disappoint them. But she wasn’t sure she could do it. Marry the prince of an adversary country.

As soon as she reached the palace, her legs took her straight to the king. She had to tell him, though she feared his answer.

“Father, can I have a few words with you?”

“Sylvana, I’m busy with the last minute checks.” seeing the desperation on her daughter’s face, he nodded. “All right, I see it’s something important.”

As they entered his study, a place she had always found fascinating as a little girl, was now intimidating. The old table she had played hide and seek with her father, on the rare occasions he had the time, now only reminded her of her tasks.

As soon as the king sat, she couldn’t hold back.

“I can’t do it, father. Please, cancel the meeting.”

The king’s face darkened at the sudden words. But being the fair and calm ruler he was, he simply placed his fingers against each other and looked at her with worry.

“What happened since this morning? You weren’t excited, but you weren’t this dismissive either.”

Sylvana wanted to tell him everything. All her struggles, all her wishes. But even she felt that something had changed in the last few years between them. He was still the loving father when she needed him, but he also became her king. A king who could command her for the country’s sake.

“Please, I beg you, give me a little time. This whole engagement and marriage are so quick. I didn’t even have the time to take a breath, and I’m engaged to an enemy kingdom’s prince.”

“They are not the enemy. Not anymore, but you know that. With this marriage, we will strengthen our peace and gain much from their support. As they do from ours.”

“Father, please, reconsider….”

“There’s nothing to consider. The prince will arrive in a few hours. If we step back, war would be unavoidable.” his eyes softened as they looked at Sylvana. “I love you, daughter. But I have to consider our country and our people too. If they dare to treat you badly, we will go to war.”

“Father…”

Sylvana lost her fire. Relief and fear fought a vicious war inside her soul. She was relieved that she didn’t get a chance to back away from her duty - it would have been so easy to avoid what needed to be done. On the other hand, she feared what was to come. For her future, for her freedom in a country, where she would be alone.

“Sylvana, we’ve talked about this. Even in marriages of convenience, love can bloom. Look at your mother and me. It was the best thing to happen to us. I can’t cancel the meeting. You have to at least meet the prince. It could cause great discontent on both sides if we refuse.”

Defeat and acceptance lodged in her throat. Of course, she knew these things. Raising her chin high, she hid a shudder and looked into her father’s eyes.

“I understand, father. As you wish.”

“You don’t know how proud of you I am.” he stood and brought her into his embrace. Sylvana borrowed into his body, seeking protection and promise that everything would be all right. “Please, try to find happiness. Don’t turn away from it out of fear or stubbornness.”

“I promise, father.” she braved a smile at him.

“Go now, prepare for the evening.”

Several hours of preparation later Sylvana stood in her room. Her light blue gown flowed around her like fluffy clouds. Tendrils of her light brown hair curled around her delicate, elegant brows and flowed down around her face.

“I can do this. I will do this.” she repeated over and over. The mantra finally slowed her heart rate.

The knock was loud in the silent room.

“Princess, I’m here to accompany you to the ball.” the servant gave a deep bow, never meeting her eyes.

The way to the ball took forever. But when they arrived at the balcony overlooking the ballroom, it felt like the walk was too short.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I announce you the Princess of Faneril Kingdom, Sylvana Peirlos.” the crowd hushed, every eye turned her way. She saw her parents at the end of the ballroom, sitting on the two thrones, looking as regal as ever. She gathered her courage, planted a pleasant smile, and descended the stairs with an inborn grace.

Nodding from left to right she greeted the people. She stopped in front of her king and queen, giving a deep curtsey. Her father stood, looking out over the crowd.

“Good people of Faneril and Gaveron. We have gathered here today to witness a powerful union of our countries, a strong friendship that time and space cannot tear apart. A symbol and the reason for that union is the marriage of the Faneril princess and Gaveron’s prince. This marriage, I believe, will prosper our countries for long centuries to come. Prince of Gaveron, please step forward.”

Sylvana’s heart rate picked up, she could feel the vein jump in frantic beat at her throat. She more felt then saw a body step up to her right. She risked a glance at the moment the prince started to speak.

“Thank you, Your Majesty for the warm welcome. I also believe that this marriage will benefit both our countries, and strengthen a long lost bond that should never have been broken.”

Shock and elevation coursed through her as her eyes met the prince’s gaze. The man gave her a secret wink, his mouth curling into a gentle, soft smile. Sylvana couldn’t contain her own happiness. Looking back at her parents, she saw her father study her reaction. To ease his and her mother’s worries, she gave them a quick nod and smiled encouragingly. Their relief was easy to see.

“Tonight we celebrate our kingdoms’ union, let the prince and princess get to know each other. Tomorrow, we hold the marriage festivities.” at his words soft music started to flow around the great hall.

“Shall we?” the prince held out her hand. Sylvana didn’t hesitate to take it.

They circled on the dance floor, not caring about the curious crowd, watching every step they took.

“How?” was all Sylvana asked in awe.

“I told you. Destiny will see to our paths, better than we would expect.” said the prince with a secret smile as they continued to dance flowing on the soft tunes of the music. 

August 29, 2020 00:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.