107 comments

Sad Fiction Teens & Young Adult

Trigger Warning: Suicide at the end

Who am I?

You might know me as Jennifer Quen.

If not, if you donโ€™t know me, that's fine.

I donโ€™t even know myself.

Sure, a month ago I was regular old Jenn. Jenn, who had friends. Jenn, who had the perfect life.

Now I am Jenn, who got in the car crash. Jenn, who almost died. Jenn, who has amnesia.

Jenn, who insists we call her Hawaii.

Hawaii means homeland, but that's not why I chose it. I chose it because Hawaii drifts alone on the ocean, still a U.S. state, but often overlooked.ย 

Hawaii is my current mood. Status update: #ifeelsoalone.

Can I start fresh? Amnesia can be a chance at thatโ€ฆ

Will people let me start fresh? Or will I always just be stuck as Jenn Quen?

If I was given an option, I would choose not to remember my past. Why? Because if I remembered, I would be stuck as Jenn forever. Following the same habits, same personalities.

Hawaii is who I want to be. Hawaii is nice. Hawaii doesnโ€™t have a big group of friends, she has two or three really close friends. Hawaii likes to read Percy Jackson, and shout โ€œWe have a dam problem!โ€ at random times. Hawaii doesnโ€™t like Harry Potter anymore because JK Rowling is transphobic.

Is this Jenn? I donโ€™t know.

Monday+school=uhg.

I walked through the halls I donโ€™t remember, my head down, trying to avoid the close gaze of everyone looking on me with concern.ย 

Hawaii holds her head tall.

Iโ€™m not sure what Jenn does.

โ€œJenn!โ€ A voice yells from behind me.

It's not Jenn. That's not who I am. Not anymore.

Jenn and Hawaii fight for dominance, Jenn urging that her name has been called, Hawaii saying that that isnโ€™t her. Jenn wins.

โ€œYes?โ€ I/Jenn/Hawaii says all at once, in a three tinted unison.

โ€œHey, um, are you ok?โ€ The girl says. She is short. Straight, shoulder length brown hair. Glasses.

โ€œI guess?โ€ I walked away.

How would you feel if You got hit by a car, got amnesia, then couldnโ€™t figure out your identity? Hawaii or Jenn? Jenn or Hawaii?

Who wins?

After school we walked home. I passed the intersection where it happened.

Then we did something crazy.

Hawaii, Jenn, and I walked out into the middle of the street.

We placed our hand on the place where the skid marks had been. They werenโ€™t there anymore, of course, after a month. But I had memorized where they were. Amnesia leaves a lot of memory space to remember things like that.

Pouring rainโ€ฆ

White Ford Explorerโ€ฆ

Red vanโ€ฆ

โ€œRed light! Red light!โ€

Metal crunching...

Rain pouring in the car nowโ€ฆ

Who am I?

โ€œJenn, are you okay?โ€

โ€œNoโ€ฆโ€

Rain soaking through my Oregon Ducks hoodieโ€ฆ

Sirensโ€ฆ

Big red fire enginesโ€ฆ

California Highway Patrol vehiclesโ€ฆ

He was okay...but Jenn wasnโ€™tโ€ฆ

Jenn will never come backโ€ฆ

We pulled ourselves out of the memory and rushed out of the street.

Jenn wants to go home. It's starting to rain, She said.

Hawaii wants to stay out. Sheโ€™s always been more of a party animal. Naw, home is boring! Is there anything else we can do?

We thought about it. Shopping? We all spoke as one.

Yes.

And so we walked downtown in the drizzle to Omni, the local skate shop.

Jenn and Hawaii both picked out a pair of Vans, as well as a skateboard. Hats, too.

โ€œThatโ€™ll be 352.32, maโ€™am.โ€

Three hundred and fifty two dollars?

We handed him our momโ€™s credit card. Hawaii had grabbed it on the way out the door this morning, saying she had planned for exactly this.

We paid and left.ย 

Ice cream? Hawaii suggested.

Weโ€™ve already spent three hundred dollars today, Hawaii. Jenn countered.

So?

So, we should go home now.

We werenโ€™t sure what to do.

Butโ€ฆ

The money was already spent...soโ€ฆ

Whatโ€™s a little more?

We got ice cream for the three of us, totalling up to thirty dollars.

This was a bad idea. Jenn said. If you guys had just listened to me-

If we had listened to you, we wouldnโ€™t have had this much fun. Hawaii said.

Jenn sighed.

At home that afternoon, I was sitting in my room talking to Hawaii and Jenn when my mother came into my room.

โ€œWho were you talking to?โ€ She asked quizzically.

โ€œN-no one.โ€ I said.

She raised an eyebrow, but continued. โ€œDid you spend almost four hundred dollars on my card today?โ€

โ€œW-well, it wasnโ€™t all me. Jenn and Hawaii-โ€

โ€œWho and who?โ€

โ€œJenn and Hawaii, they're myโ€ฆโ€ I searched for a word. โ€œFriends.โ€

โ€œBut you bought the stuff. With my card.โ€

โ€œYes.โ€

โ€œThis is the first time Iโ€™ve ever heard about those two,โ€ Mom said. โ€But Iโ€™m taking your phone, so you canโ€™t talk to them on it for a month.โ€

โ€œMom!โ€

โ€œFour hundred dollars, Jenn. Thatโ€™s a big number.โ€

Make a biting comment, Hawaii urged. Do it!

โ€œThereโ€™s nothing as big as your cankles.โ€ I spat.

โ€œTwo months!โ€ She shouted before slamming my door.

The next day I was in a funk.

Neither Jenn nor Hawaii could cheer me up.

And the day after that.

And the day after that.

And the day after that.

And the week after that.

The thirteenth day of the funk was different. I could tell.

Jenn and Hawaii both tried to cheer me up, but I only ever paid attention to Jenn. Hawaii had misled me for the last time.

Why donโ€™t we-

โ€œNo.โ€

How about-

โ€œNo.โ€

I walked outside. I just felt in my heart that I should take a walk.

More importantly, I wanted Hawaii out of my head.

I would never tell Hawaii this, of course, but it was the truth.

I walked to the scene of the accident again.

And I had a brilliant lightbulb idea.

What if I got her out the same way she came in?

Car accidentโ€ฆ

I can not drive. Iโ€™m sixteen, yes, but after the accident I sorta...lost the will to get my license. I never wanted to fail someone as badly as the driver of the car had failed me.

We walked to the intersection.

Iโ€™ve almost died hereโ€ฆ

I need to get this over with. I need Hawaii out of my head.

Honking.

Swerving.

But not fast enough.

I saw the headlights.

Then darkness.

January 01, 2021 23:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

107 comments

Hi, all, Tenth story? YASSSSSSSSSSSS The character Jenn suffers from dissociative identity disorder, which means she had multiple personalities in her head, leading her on to do bad stuff. Hawaii, specifically. I feel like I have to throw this in here as well (I'll do this every time I do a story with suicide): Its never too late to talk to someone! There are so many different lifelines to help you overcome this. National suicide prevention lifeline: +1 (800) 273 3255 (united states). Crisis line: text HOME to 741741. Stay safe and healthy ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
00:10 Jan 05, 2021

Great job!! I would say that if you're talking directly to the reader then continue that throughout the story to make it sound consistent. Also, in the last scene, I'd describe the streets and the chaos of the traffic. Great job!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
George Key
21:12 Jan 19, 2021

Many of my themes are behavioral health DSM-5 associations. Being in the field one thing I attempt to do is to inspire individuals to write their way through the walls we tend to build within our minds. Those walls we construct to seal away the evil ugliness. Survivors' guilt leads one to suicidal ideation. It is very difficult to criticize what might well represent that effort. That being said, check the mistyped spelling. When the path one is on becomes dark, seek another path.

Reply

Show 1 reply
. .
23:42 Jan 07, 2021

NEW STORY

Reply

Show 1 reply

At first I thought Hawaii was the character, but now I know she's kind of a voice in her head, telling her all her mistakes. Thanks for the warning! :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Maddy Writes
03:12 Mar 15, 2021

๐Ÿงƒ

Reply

Show 0 replies

I used to know a content creator with the same mental illness, and I fought similar things, yet never this bad. Thank you for writing this, truly.

Reply

It changes a lot for different people. I didn't have it this intense (my brain decides to ruin me in other ways), but some people might.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Meggy House
00:34 Jan 07, 2021

Oh my goodness, Carolina, this was beautiful! Your writing was so eloquent and powerful, and I was engaged until the very end. You did a wonderful job describing both Jenn and Hawaii; this was amazing!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Coco Longstaff
00:58 Jan 03, 2021

Hi Carol, Congrats on your 10th story!!!!! I know that the identity order Jen has is troubling, but its also kinda interesting (to have several personalities) so thanks for making the story interesting! Ohh thatโ€™s so sad that she dies at the end........But good work!

Reply

Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.