4 comments

Drama Fiction Friendship

 Just like a ray of light , Ritzy had entered into the Sinha family when everybody had given up the dream of getting a heir who’ll be taking the responsibility of the entire property of the Sinhas. Ritzy’s arrival had filled the family with smiles. Being born in a rich and a well established family, Ritzy didn’t know what hard work is. She had got accustomed to the luxuries. Everyday, when she woke up, slippers were brought near to her feet before she stepped on the floor. Her clothes were brought from all over the world. Being the one and only heir of the family, She never faced shortage of anything. Everything was available to her. Ritzy was in her 9th standard when she met a boy named Riwaan. Riwaan was good looking, well known for his humble attitude, and his blue eyes. Just like Ritzy, Riwaan belonged to a rich family. Just as it is said , “Time.. like sand, goes on slipping from our hand”. Within no time. Ritzy and Riwaan became the closest friends. They began to share every little thing with each other. The time had come for which no one was waiting. It was the last day of their 10th standard. Paths were going to get diverged from then on.

 Ritzy and Riwaan, though they belonged to rich families, were quite different from each other. Ritzy was totally dependent on her family. She had total confidence that even if she won’t succeed in her education, she’ll not lose anything because she has her family’s property. Ritzy’s family had brought her up in that way. The over pampering had almost spoilt the girl. On the other hand Riwaan was a responsible guy. He had six elder brothers. And there were always clashes in between the family members for property. Riwaan had a business brain. He wanted to be an entrepreneur and get rid of that family. He didn’t want to be with such a family who didn’t even value the knowledge of anybody. Everyone was just after the property. Riwaan and his brothers didn’t have a good relation in between. Pampering is a far cry , Riwaan wasn’t even noticed in the family. Everyone would be busy in their own worlds.

On the last day of the 10th standard , Ritzy called Riwaan and said,”Riwaan, I need to talk. There’s a lot of stuff which I need to tell you. Please meet me at the coffee shop outside the school”. Riwaan agreed. Riwaan , as told by Ritzy went to the coffee shop. Ritzy smiled as Riwaan entered. Riwaan asked, ”What's the matter Ritzy? Is everything alright? What’s that thing which you wanted to tell me. Ritzy said, “Riwaan, Next year I want you and me to be in the same college. We are good friends and my family has made all the arrangements .. You need not fear of anything. You’ll not feel the shortage of anything. It’s one of the best colleges”. Riwaan was stunned to hear those words from Ritzy’s mouth. “Are you crazy or what?! Do you want to buy me? Ritzy! You have lost your senses! I have huge dreams. I want to become an entrepreneur and I have mentioned that a dozen times to you! Why? Why do you want me to be with you? Just because I’m your only friend? Or just because, it’s me who's left whom you can call as a friend?!”, Riwaan bursted out. “Riwaan, you are crossing your limits now!”, cried Ritzy. “Oh please, let me speak at least now. It’s always you who has been blabbering throughout. And I have been bearing you. You know what Ritzy? You know why you are not able to make more friends? Just because of your arrogance! Just because you self boast a lot!”, said Riwaan. Ritzy was in tears. In a shivering voice she asked ,”And you? Why did you treat me as a friend? Even you should have thrown me away just like what all did?”. Riwaan tightly held Ritzy’s hand and shouted, “Just because I was mad. I saw your goodness behind your arrogance. I thought you’ll never boast yourself at least in front of me! Ritzy, even I belong to a rich family. Even I can show you all my arrogance. But I’ll never do that! Because I’m not so childish like you! Act matured Ritzy! Grow up! Your family’s property is just a present asset. What about future? You’ll get onto the road if you don’t start working for yourself!”, saying so Riwaan left the place. Ritzy went home and cried continuously because she was feeling pity about her own self. She had always been in a wrong assumption that her family’s property will give her everything. And now, She had lost her only friend Riwaan just because of her proudness.

That day, Ritzy packed all her required accessories and left her palace where she was always treated as a princess. She left a note in the hall for her family which read ,”Dear Mom and Dad, Please don’t search for me. I’m not going anywhere. I’m just on my way to reach what’s meant for me. I’ll return back with two assets, which will be greater than the property which you always wanted to pour over me. I love you both”.

 Ritzy wanted to work now. She wanted to work for herself . She wanted work for Riwaan. Riwaan had moved on. He always wanted to become the top most entrepreneur and he was on his way to his destination. Even Ritzy wanted to build her own empire now. With no idea, she had set off from her home. She wandered on the streets for almost 8 hours. And with no option in front, She went into a hotel and asked them if there’s any work. They told her that their receptionist was on leave since few months and they were in search of one. Being brought up in a rich family, She first thought it’s not the correct thing to start with. But then she got reminded of the words which Riwaan once said her “No work is small Ritzy, We can convert it into big if we want to”. Upon thinking, Ritzy smiled and accepted the receptionist’s job. Ritzy continued with the same for 3 years. The management was impressed by her job, her well mannered personality, her attitude of not giving up and her quality to smile and win everyone’s heart. The management decided to promote Ritzy to the managers post. Within no time Rizy was sitting in the manager’s cabin. The days continued to roll on. And due to her skills, She became a right hand to the Hotel’s CEO. The CEO had lost his life due to some health issues. Everyone decided to make Ritzy the CEO as it’s only her who had been working for a long time in that hotel and she very well knew about the hotel. After, Ritzy became the CEO, She started to work on a new hotel which she wanted to begin with her own efforts. Moreover, now, she had all the powers in her hand. She did all the arrangements and began with her plan. Within 4 years, 40 new hotels were build on her name all around the world. Ritzy at that moment felt, it’s the right time to meet her family along with the two assets as promised. One asset was ‘THE NEW RITZY’ who had now learnt to work for herself, who now had built her own empire. And the other, of course, her friend, Riwaan. Before meeting her family, She went on to search Riwaan and tell him that she’s not the same arrogant Rizty anymore. Ritzy had made all the preperations to meet Riwaan. She had alloted few employees to search for Riwaan. Soon, she got to know the address where Riwaan lived. When Ritzy reached the address, She was not so stunned to see at lot of cars parked outside the mansion. Because she was confident that Riwaan had become the top entrepreneur. But when she entered, she was shocked. She was totally dumb stuck when she saw riwaan sleeping lifeless on the floor with a white cloth over him. His family members were in white clothes, All the higher officials had come to see Riwaan for one last time, and that was the reason for the uncountable cars parked outside. Riwaan's sister told Ritzy that Riwaan lost his life battling with cancer. He had become the top entrepreneur but the hunger for success made him neglect his health. Ritzy was totally broken. A person who was responsible for the change in Ritzy was no more. Ritzy helplessly touched riwaan’s forehead and whispered in his ear,”Riwaan, You have won . You have been successful in changing the arrogant Ritzy into the successful Ritzy. I owe you everything. I wish I contacted you earlier, I wish you didn't leave me like this”.

Ritzy, with tears in her eyes , helplessly left Riwaan’s home and continued her journey to her own home. After reaching her home, the child in Ritzy jumped out. She was lost in the nostalgia. As she stepped in the huge mansion of hers, another heartbreaking scene flashed in front. She could see the pictures of her parents hanging on the wall with garlands over them. Ritzy’s far relatives were now living there. They were really happy to see Ritzy after ages. Ritzy asked, “How did all this happen?!”. One of her relatives began, “Ritzy, you had told them not to search for you, and even in their last breath’s, they said, ’Please don’t disturb our daughter. She has gone to search her lost self .It’s ok if she doesn’t come to see us for a last time’. Both your parents were attacked with a viral infection Ritzy. They didn’t respond to any of the medications. And unfortunately, we lost them 2 years back”

Ritzy was totally broken after hearing this. She was lost in the thoughts. What is all this success for , when she ,now, has no one to celebrate it with! She could.. have made, at least a phone call every year to her parents. She could at least have made a phone call to her only friend Riwaan battling with cancer. All these thoughts were just killing her from within.

There's a Ritzy hidden in everyone of us.. We sometimes forget every emotion, We sometimes forget the people who always were there for us, In a process of searching for ourselves, we forget our loved ones.

SUCCESS DOESN’T MEAN THAT YOU TOTALLY NEED TO DETACH YOURSELF FROM YOUR LOVED ONES. LIFE IS SHORT. YOU NEVER KNOW. THE PERSON WHO’S INFRONT OF YOU RIGHT NOW, MAY NOT BE PRESENT ALWAYS. VALUE EVERY PERSON , BEFORE THE SOUL LEAVES THE BODY.

May 03, 2021 14:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Ryan LmColli
18:33 May 10, 2021

Join this: https://www.guilded.gg/i/0k80xDmk Oh no... ouch. I definitely teared up by the end. I really can’t say enough good things about this story. I’m a Chinese-American young woman - who has a fondness for Mandarin scattered throughout English - so it especially hit hard for me. You captured so many bits of the culture incredibly well: 哥哥, 妈妈, offering food as a comfort tactic. All of it feels so loyal and true to real life. I absolutely love the tie-ins to other Chinese characters too. It’s a funny language. (I created my pen name with...

Reply

Feroz Tabassum
03:57 May 11, 2021

Thanks a ton! Really glad that you liked it! <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Siri Chandana
23:33 May 04, 2021

That's a great story!! So realistic 👏👏👏

Reply

Feroz Tabassum
03:56 May 05, 2021

Really glad that you liked it! Keep supporting buddy! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.