2 comments

General

The alarm went off again, just like it had every morning, but today was different. Today, she didn't get up. She rolled over, groaning and shut it off. I walked up to her and jumped on the bed, it was time for breakfast, did she forget? I licked her face and she shoved me off the bed.

"Not today, Jamie," she told me, "Today we get to sleep in."

I didn't understand. What was so special about today? I jumped up on the bed once more, but she had already fallen back asleep. I lay beside her pouting. I was hungry. I whined but she didn't move a muscle.

"Good morning, Jamie," Ella called sweetly from the kitchen.

I walked over confused, shouldn't she be at work? She poured my breakfast and went back over to the oven. I sniffed the air and wagged my tail, bacon, my favourite. We only had bacon on Saturdays. As I ate my breakfast, I wondered why she making bacon today. However, as long as I got some I didn't mind.

When the bacon was done she gave me a few pieces before letting me outside. She normally just let me out for a quick bathroom break before letting me inside and going to work. Today she grabbed a ball and we played fetch. I was so excited! We hadn't played that in forever. We stayed outside for what felt like years until I got tired. When we went back inside she turned on the tv and I laid my head on her lap.

A man on the tv said something I didn't hear, it seemed to upset Ella.

"This stupid Corona Virus!" she yelled, "How am I gonna pay rent?"

I lifted my head up and looked at her quizzically. I thought Ella wanted to stay home, when's she going back to work?

She turned off the tv grumpily and I licked her face, maybe I could cheer her up.

"It's all wrong, Jamie," she cried, "All wrong. We can't go outside, we can't go to the grocery store, there's no toilet paper for some reason, and I can't work. I don't know how we're going to get through this."

I licked her tears away, I hated the taste of them, but it made her smile. I sneezed, and she laughed. I hadn't meant too, but I was glad she wasn't sad anymore. Suddenly, I heard the doorbell ring. I ran over to the door and barked, I didn't recognize their scent. Ella wiped her tears away and opened the door. There was no one there, just two bags. I sniffed them, food! And something else, but I didn't know what.

Ella picked up the bags and brought them inside.

"That's weird," she exclaimed, "I wonder what it is."

She opened the bags on the table and gasped. She pulled out a cake and a package of swirly white rolls that were always by the big smelly water bowl. In the other bag, there was a bone for me! I wagged my tail and barked a thank you as Ella gave it to me. There was also an envelope, Ella opened it and I watched in suspense, was there anything in there for me?

No, there was only that stupid green paper. Ella seemed to like it though, "Five hundred dollars! Toilet paper, cake and a bone for you! I can't believe it! Who could have sent this?"

I didn't care. Whoever it was had nice taste, this was the best bone I had ever had. Ella and I sat back on the couch, turning to me she said, "You know what, Jamie? This virus might not be that bad. We can spend these whole two weeks together and with good people in the world, I think we'll be okay."

We fell asleep on the couch together and spent the rest of the day outside with the hard ropey toy. I was happy that I was finally getting the playtime and belly rubs I so desperately needed.

The next morning, Ella got up early and we played in the park, but I had to wear the itchy leash. I couldn't believe this injustice! I had never had to wear the leash before in the park, didn't Ella trust me? I was the most well-behaved dog in the world, I wouldn't run away. I always came when she called me, even when I was with a pretty golden retriever. I made sure to look really sad so she'd feel guilty. Maybe if she felt guilty enough she would take off and I could be free. Unfortunately, she did not take off the leash.

And what was even worse was that I couldn't say hi to any of my friends! Ella stayed away from everyone so I didn't get any free pets! It wasn't fair! Why was she doing that? I pulled on the leash to try and say hello to my friend Rufus, the bulldog, but Ella scolded me and kept walking. When we arrived back at the house, Ella worked on what she called her "laptop". I never understood why it was called that as it spent more time on the table than her lap. I laid on the floor and watched her, but I was soon bored.

I grabbed my squishy toy and sat beside her, waiting. She didn't look down. I placed it on her lap and wagged my tail, but she still sat tapping those clicky things. I nudged her, and she finally threw my toy, but it was a pathetic throw. It didn't go far at all! When I brought it back to her she was looking at her screen again. I lay on the floor in defeat. I decided to nibble on her socks if she was going to give me any attention I decided I would entertain myself.

This worked fine until Ella felt my tongue on her toe from the hole I had chewed. She gave me one of her "lectures" and sent me out of the room. I came in a while later to see if she was still mad at me, but she appeared to have fixed the sock with her small magic metal pointy thing. I had learned not to step on it the hard way.

The days felt like years and they seemed to drag on. Ella was not much fun. Grandma had come over one day, but only on the porch. I wasn't allowed to see her and I told Ella what I thought of that as loudly as I could. Though my protests came to no avail and when Grandma left Ella didn't give me the treats she had left me until I behaved. I gave her my best scowl.

One day as Ella was petting me she told me, "I think you've gotten chubby, Jamie. All this time inside isn't good for you. We'll have to go on longer walks from now on."

I didn't know what she was talking about. She spent as much time on the couch as me and she hadn't been eating her "healthy foods" lately. I knew because I had been finding the crumbs.

On the last day of what Ella called our "quarantine", she decided to give me a haircut. It was the most horrific day of my life. My groomer, Natalie usually gives me a nice bath and treats as she cuts my black fur, but Ella used this scary loud thing she called a "razor". I hated it. It hurt and itched. When she showed me my reflection I was appalled. It looked horrible! I hoped Ella never did this again. She seemed rather pleased with her monstrosity though and took a picture. Oh, the humiliation!

I was extremely happy when Ella got up for work. I was still angry at her from my "haircut" the other day and I made sure she knew it. I glared at her when I ate my breakfast and kept glaring until she ran out the door. When she had left I wagged my tail and jumped on her bed for a nap. Although all the attention had been a dream come true, I could only sleep on Ella's bed when she was at work. I was glad our "quarantine" was finally over and I hoped I could see Rufus tomorrow as I closed my eyes and went to sleep.

March 28, 2020 02:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Oliver Paradox
14:29 Apr 02, 2020

Wow, this is absolutely brilliant!

Reply

Grace Hicks
02:34 Apr 17, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.