0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Latinx

If I told you that a few days ago, I was working in my stepmother’s bakery, selling desserts to crazy religious citizens of my hometown, you wouldn’t think twice. Probably laugh and ask me about my stepmother, and how her recipes are so popular. I could tell you, but you wouldn’t believe me. It’s the same way my ghost friend, arch enemy, and I are now on a pirate ship trapped on the other side of a mirror. Magic. I hate magic. Ironic considering I’m a vampire and I have magic, but nonetheless. I hate it. I manage to keep my balance, looking at the ocean surrounding us on the ship. 

I love ships. The steady wood underneath my feet felt firm, like it would always hold me up. On this ship, I felt at ease. Even though we’re going to a war stricken castle, I didn’t feel afraid. The salty smell of the sea was a nice change from my stepmother’s bakery. I liked baked goods, but living above a bakery means the constant scent of apple filling your lungs and never getting to eat any of it. It’s like a treasure to the townsfolk. 

I was going after my own treasure. 

The Whitewall Castle was on the edge of Snowoom. Ever since I was little, I knew that there was some kind of treasure I needed to find. I don't know if it was some kind of vision from my mother, but I felt it. I still feel it. There’s some kind of task. An object we need to find for a missing spell that I need. Without it, there’s no more ships. No more pirates. No more happiness. The only thing you get is death and isolation. I’ve been isolated from everything for so long, ever since Dad died. I guess you could say I’m a little bit obsessive. But I made a deal with a ghost, and I can’t go back on it. He’d probably haunt me or something. I don’t know much about ghosts, it’s hard enough hiding my own thirst for blood. Blood. That reminds me, I haven’t eaten in a few days. I’ve been so on the go being captain of this ship that I haven’t stopped to take a break. Even Aspen’s beginning to notice. Speaking of which…

“You can’t slow down to save your life, can you Thena?” He smirked. 

“Nope, It’s the ADHD.” I laughed. I’m unsure of why I felt comfortable telling him that,  we barely know each other. I’d rather tell Aspen than Madison I suppose. Why would I give her another reason to make fun of me? If my thirst for blood and creepy fangs weren’t enough of a reason to make my life hell. 

“Don’t even think about it?” One of the crew women must’ve noticed my hunger. 

“Sorry,” 

I leaned over the side of the boat, hoping the slashing of the waves would take me out of my trance. I’ve read about vampires melting under the sun, but we manage just fine as long as we’re wearing our protective cloaks. I hate wearing them, especially now when all I want to do is take it off. Maybe if I break this, I could be a normal human. Maybe this object is some kind of cure. I guess that’s another reason why I need to find the object. To get away from my stepmother’s control. My powers keep me under her control, it’s not like I know how to use them without her. Finding the object would mean breaking her deadly curse, and escaping her wrath. Maybe I could relocate to an abandoned mansion or something, even though it didn’t work for Aspen. Explains why he’s dead. 

“Mendez, I need you.” I followed Madison into the bunk we used, and she pulled out her suitcase. 

“I’m not sure what you’re asking, but someone needs to watch the ship.” The weird, uncomfortable vibration of her little machine was triggering my sensory overload. 

Don’t have an attack. Now is not the time or the place. 

“I found something in here that I think would be of use to you, Athenna.” She handed me a sword. 

“What’s this for?” Her face dropped like I just asked the dumbest question she’s ever heard.

“Have you studied this kingdom? My parents have been teaching me ancient medieval mythology since I was nine.” 

“Nine or nine hundred?” I laughed. Wolf joke. 

“And you wonder why no one’s asked you out.” She deadpanned. 

“Anyway, this island houses the great Snowoom kingdom.”

“I know.”

“And Whitewall Castle is on the edge,” 

“I know Madison. Can you get to the point?” It was hard enough trying to keep eye contact with her, let alone listen to her lecture me about stuff I already know. Everyone knows the legend of Whitewall. 

“We can’t just go in there and expect them to let us in the castle with welcome arms. So I’ve been thinking of a plan.” 

“That’s my job, thank you. I’m the brain. You’re the muscle power.” I don’t know why I was so defensive. For the past few days, everything she does annoyed me. I mean, that was every day where whatever she does annoys me but this felt different. I don’t know how to put it.

“We’re docking in less than an hour. We have to blend in with them. We’re orphans who ended up on a boat here. We don’t remember anything except a message.” She handed me a scroll. 

“Dearest royal family of Snowoom, I beg thee to watch over my nieces and nephew. I am sending them to you so that they shall work under your majesty’s kingdom. We don’t have much time until we are invaded and the curse swallows our land. Guide them to the castle so that they may seek the pages of their destiny.” 

“Did you steal this from Melody’s journal?” She nodded. 

“Sure did. What else could it be used for? This is all set up to get us to the castle. Destiny right?” 

I hate to admit it, but she was right. I studied the clues in the journal but could never figure out what to do with the letter until now. Maybe Madison isn’t completely useless. 

Maybe

“Thanks. We should probably change too. Something about ripped jeans and pirate hats might send the wrong message.” We giggled. Something changed in that moment, like we didn’t despise each other’s existence like we do back home. I swear when she looked up at me, I could see a tiny smile in the corner of her mouth. Was she starting to like me? Is that why she was always awful, cause she really wanted to be friends with me? 

Who am I kidding? She hates me. 

Right? 

“You’re looking like a ray of industrial sunshine.” Aspen winked as he saw my peasant dress. I’ll give Chau one thing, she sure does have a knack for fashion. Pretty sure she made our outfits herself. 

“I see you two are getting along.” Curse that attractive grin. 

“I wouldn’t say that, per say. We’re just hating each other less.” I pulled my hair up, as Madison climbed up on the dock and made her way to us. 

“This is going to work right?” Aspen unbuttoned the top button of his collared shirt and ran his hand through his hair. He’s definitely suspicious of this.

“Yes, we have no choice, nerds. It’s either we infiltrate Whitewall or your stepmother’s gonna be the end of all of us.” Her anger was directed to me like this is my fault. I can’t stand my stepmother as much as the others. If anything, I want the same thing she does. Get rid of Marina, break the curse, and move on with my life. We have the same goal. 

We finally docked. I looked at the island. It was full of villagers standing around waiting for the travelers on the other ships. Families were reunited, and people looked so happy. This kingdom looked happy. 

A random lady came up to us, asking if we were ok and where our families were. She was clearly some kind of official, given her long, silk black gown and hugely styled hair. 

“I’m the advisor for all the incoming ships. It’s my job to make sure there’s no discrepancies.” She was eyeing me like I stole from her. Madison gave her the note. 

“Hmm, I’ve never seen this. Wait, the prophecy. Destiny’s journal?” She raised her eyebrow.

“You’d best not let anyone catch you. Revealing your true task is a danger here. We don’t take well to people with mysterious intentions here. Take this,” 

She handed Madison a piece of paper. An address. 

“This is where your next step is. Talk to Lady Ashera. She can help you.” I thought I saw a small smile on her face. 

“I assume the curse is going strong where you’re from, eh?” We nodded. 

“It must mean it’s on its way here as well.” 

After a while, we began walking to the address after buying a map. We were actually here. I felt more optimistic than I’ve been in a while. It was as if things were finally coming together for me, and I didn’t have to worry about Marina keeping me in. I mean, technically she is cause I’m in her mirror because of her curse, but you get what I mean. The town was different from anything I’ve ever seen. People were dancing and singing, holding hands and acting like it was some kind of holiday. 

If only they knew what was coming if we weren’t fast enough.

November 08, 2020 04:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.