0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Fantasy

I was standing looking out of my first floor window in the middle of the night as I couldn’t sleep. .Looking down from the window a story by Chaucer in which a window figured, came to mind. It is called MILLER’S TALE. A dense carpenter had a charming wife Alison and they took young Nicholas as paying guest and the woman and guest drew close. Nicholas convinced the carpenter that Noah’s great flood would soon recur. In preparation the carpenter readied 3 life boats and strung them up from his ceiling. He used one of them to sleep in. That left Alison and Nicholas to enjoy themselves in the bedroom below. Alison had an admirer Absolon who came by night to talk to her. He stood below the window and asked for a kiss. Alison obliged. When Absolon discovered the lips offered were not normally meant for a kiss he decided to revenge himself. The next night he again came and sought the kiss. This time to fool Absolon, Nicholas  held out his backside through the window.. Absolon who had come with a red hot iron branded the offered part when Nicholas shouted “water”. The carpenter thinking the flood had come severed his lifeboat and it fell to the ground instead of in water. That is the end of Chaucer’s story.

*

I then recalled another story which I had read featuring a window. It took place in Rubi Isle on earth’s twin planet GAIA2 which is behind us by about 800 years and is still evolving. Prince Gus, son of the king left the palace and set out to experience the follies and foibles of citizens. He hired a mansion in a distant place out of the kingdom and started living there.

Knowing a rich man was resident there, Soco, a sorcerer approached him and said “I have a magic mirror which could tell by the reflection on it if a woman was true or not.”

Gus said “How big is it?”

“It’s very small. When I speak into it in a language known only to it and me, and the woman stands facing it, I will know the truth. If the woman were true, her reflection would be seen.”

Gus asked “How much does it cost?”

“It is not for sale. Anyone who uses it should give me money according to the depth of pocket.”

Gus said “You’ve said you live here. I’ll seek use of your mirror when appropriate.”

At this stage an astrologer came to Gus and said “Sire, there’s a beautiful young woman named Kyra, from a distinguished family. I’ve here a picture of her painted by a very skilled artist. I request you look at it so that you could consider marrying her.”

Gus looked at the picture a long while and said “Yes. She looks really charming. Let me think it over.”

Zeema was a bandit who lived on the edge of society. She claimed that she took from the rich to help the poor. She had now crossed the age of 20 and had been an active bandit since two years. She was tall and attractive, and with the help of a 4 member gang, of 2 men and 2 women, had amassed wealth. When she learnt that a rich man Gus had settled nearby, she was eager to extract money from him. She sent a message to him saying “I’m collecting for the poor. You must also contribute. Otherwise I have the skill and a gang to grab what you don’t want to give.”

Gus had heard of Zeema. He thought within himself “I’m from a royal family and have been trained to be battle ready. Who is this woman to threaten me?” He said he wouldn’t contribute.

When Zeema came to know about it she was very angry. She thought ‘My late father had taught me about offence and defence using weapons. I’ve been very good as an archer and a swimmer. I can also climb tall trees very easily without any fear. These rich fellows only eat and drink and lead a sedentary life with no exposure to martial arts. If I can capture Gus and offer to release him only on payment of ransom which would be a big amount, it would add to my wealth. I don’t really need my gang to carry out this task. I’ll do it alone.’

One dark night Zeema set off towards Gus’s mansion carrying a box which contained her tools. The mansion was a two storey structure and she knew she could easily enter the house through the window. Using a rope ladder she climbed to the first floor and cautiously opened the window. In the prevailing darkness she could see no one inside and climbed in. As she stood trying to find her way, someone attempted to knock her down but by instinct she avoided a blow to her head and instead grabbed the person who had tried to fell her. She found by her touch that she had caught a female. What she didn’t know was that Gus had ordered a tough woman guard to protect the room above which was a possible entry point. Zeema punched the guard and tearing off her pareyou looked for hidden weapons. There were none. The guard now stood covering with her palms what the pareyou would cover.

Zeema said “So Gus has prepared his defence against me. Tell him I’m here armed and want to talk to him. I’m sure he knows I can even set fire to this mansion. ”

“You’ve removed my pareyou. How do I face a male in the nude?”

“I understand. Here take your pareyou.”

Moments after the guard had left, Gus came carrying a lighted torch. He looked at Zeema carefully and said “What do you want of me?”

She merely stood looking at him. He was a handsome young man and her stance shifted. She was silent.

He asked “Aren’t you wondering why I’ve not made any move against you now?.”

She was still silent. He said “I won’t restrain you. You can go back where you belong.”

She said “I’ve 4 in my gang, 2 men and 2 females. I’m actually preparing to retire from banditry.”

Hesaid “I can provide them suitable alternate employment elsewhere.”

She said “In that case let me go.”

“What will you do?”

“I’ve to think about it. I’m not ashamed to say it but my feminity has started asserting itself. I must find a suitable mate.”

“I like your spirit and forthrightness. In fact I like you. What would you say if I proposed to you?”

She stood silent. He said “I know you want freedom to live your life. So be it. You’re free to leave.”

She said “They say silence is consent when a female is asked.”

He said “I’m very happy but since we’re strangers there is one requirement to be fulfilled by you. I’ll tell you about it tomorrow. You can rest here tonight.”

She said “I’m glad I can stay without danger to my life and without being burdened by weapons.”

He said “Come down with me. I’ll show you the bed you could occupy.”

The next morning Soco was summoned. Gus told Soco to test Zeema who merely stood by. Soco spoke into the mirror and then asked Zeema to face it. The mirror due to smallness showed the reflection of a part of Zeema’s body. Soco whispered “She is a very true woman. Marry her and you’ll be happy.”

Gus paid Soco handsomely and said “I may yet need your assistance.”

“I’ll come when you want me.”

Zeema stood mystified about the happenings with Soco. She said “I’ll go and settle with my gang.”

After she had left, the astrologer who had suggested Kyra came to see Gus. Gus said “Bring her here tomorrow morning.”

Soco was also summoned to be present around the same time. Soco spoke into the mirror and then got Kyra to face it. Her reflection didn’t appear. Soco whispered “The mirror rejects.”

Gus conveyed his rejection of the woman. In a couple of days there was a dinner to announce Gus’s engagement to Zeema. There, where several guests had gathered, there was a sudden uproar when Zeema knocked down and upended one of the serving maids. Zeema tore off her pareyou when the concealed knife was found. That maid confessed she had been bribed by Kyra to maim Zeema. Zeema said “My instinct taught me that I should be wary of strangers. That paid off.”

Gus returned to his kingdom and his wedding with Zeema was a grand show. At this stage Zeema asked about Soco and the mirror and Gus explained.

She asked “Why doesn’t it work on males?”

Gus said “That is a very good question. I didn’t think of it. We can ask Soco if we meet him.”

Male chauvinism she thought but didn’t voice it yet!

*

My musings now ended. A wind was blowing and the moon became invisible because of clouds. The rain started. I shut the window and went to bed.

END

NOTE: pareyou is the dress of the citizens covering them from waist down.

*

\

June 08, 2021 16:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.