Hosted by Kendra Derkins

Submitted into Contest #54 in response to: Write a story about a TV show called "Second Chances."... view prompt

2 comments

General

"Olyvia, I swear--" Sally Derkins said through clenched teeth. Olyvia gave her a sheepish smile.

"Sorry, miss, it happened again, I know, but I can fix it, just hold still-"

Olyvia's thick Welsh accent rang through Sally's ears like a train whistle- high and annoying. Although, Sally only found her voice annoying when she was annoyed with her.

"This company's a real jerk, I need to bring this to the attention of the studio-"

"You know what, that will be fine, thank you," Sally said, irritated, standing up and ripping her apron off. She peered in the mirror and fluffed up her red hair. "Time is money."

Olyvia bit her lip. "But Miss Derkins, please, let me finish, I only-"

"That will be all, miss Frost, that is what I said, is it not?" Sally asked coldly. She tapped a nearby man working on a rather elderly woman. "Hand me the Jubilent Lip Stick, will you, dear boy?"

The man did so quickly, not daring make eye contact with Sally.

Sally tore the cap off the bright red lipstick and began applying it. Olyvia looked so fearful as though the apocalypse was coming.

"Please, miss Derkins, really, that's my job!"

"Well, you do a horrible job at your job then!" Sally roared, snapping the lip stick in two. The man who she had previously gotten the lipstick from widened his eyes, and moved a bit further away from her.

Olyvia looked as if she was going to burst into tears at any moment. "It's only happened two times in my whole career, and both times it happened to happen on you! Really, Sally, you sho-"

Sally's face went red. "WHAT DID YOU CALL ME?!"

The entire room fell silent. A few of the backstage people quickly left the room , while the remaining fidgeted uncomfortably.

Olyvia flushed pink, realizing her mistake. "Sorry, miss Derkins, I'm really-"

"Leave me be. I'm getting a new makeup artist." Sally said quietly, evidently trying to hide her bubbling anger. She quickly turned on her heel and stalked out of the room, her face a deep shade of purple.

There was a long silence. Olyvia gulped as all eyes went towards her. The man who Sally had intimidated shook his head.

"You'd never know," he said. "From television, she seems sorta nice."

* * * * * * * * * *

"New script, miss Derkins," the producer, Joe, said, handing Sally a fat load of papers.

"Thank you, Mr. Hawkins, I will see to it you get a raise," Sally said, her anger slowly falling.

Joe gave her a confused glance. "I'm the one who gives raises," he muttered, but Sally was already out of earshot.

"Will, give this to Greta, will you?" Sally pursed her lips as she handed the new script to a nearby cameraman. She turned back to an exasperated Joe.

"Y-you can't g-give the SCRIPT AWAY!!" Joe yelled, waving his hands madly in the air. "WE NEED T-t-to say it!!"

Sally rolled her eyes, clicking her tongue. "Uh-uh. I don't like the new script."

"B-BUT WE JUST MADE IT!! You didn't even read it!!" Joe screamed, pulling at his curly blonde hair.

"It's too much work to memorize it," Sally said flatly.

The cameraman's voice rang out. "We're on in two minutes!"

Joe's eyes bulged out of the sockets. "Sally, you need to read the script!! Give it a chance! The audience wants to spice things up a bit!"

"I don't think so. Does my dress look good?"

Joe slapped his forehead. "Sally..."

"ONE MINUTE 'TIL WE'RE ON AIR!!"

Sally's face perked up. "Ooh, almost time! Bye, Joe, tell me our ratings during commercial break!"

Joe blew out as Sally pranced away. He fumbled with his own copy of the new script. "Why do you host a show about second chances when you can't even give them yourself?"

* * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello all, I'm Kendra Derkins, your host for todays 'Second Chances' show." Sally said, using her television name as she flashed a toothy smile at the camera. "Let's meet our featured guests today!"

The curtains behind her opened to reveal 2 people- a squat man with a mustache and graying hair, and a tall woman with fluffy brown hair that went down to her waist.

Sally beamed. "Hello, Jayson and Folklore! Let's greet them with a real Channel 4 greeting!"

Joe slammed his fists on the table in the operating room, eyes watering. "That's...the wrong..LINE!!"

"So, Folklore here says she fired a former employee and friend, but wants her back on the job. Folklore, do ya think she's gonna give you a second chance?"

The woman spoke clearly into the microphone in a deep voice. "I do think Honey will give me another chance, as a boss and a friend. It's hard to juggle both of those jobs, but I do think that Honey- that's her name, did I tell you?- will forgive me and come back to her job."

Sally nodded at almost everything Folklore said, evidently paying no attention whatsoever. She seized the microphone back as soon as Folklore finished her sentence.

"Thanks, ma'am, I do think Honey will give you another chance. She sounds nice. Onto Mr. Jayson! If I'm not mistaken, you left your son at age ten and are hoping that he'll give you another chance to be a father. tell me, how old is the boy now?"

Jayson took his time leaning in to the microphone. "Liam is 19. I don't know if he even remembers me. If he does, I think he'll have a hard time giving me a second chance, Kendra."

"Agreed," Sally snapped back. "It's always hard for kids to forgive parents. Well, that's all folks! Thanks for watching Second Chances!"

"-Before we cut to commercial, I, Joe, the producer, would like to say a few words."

Sally's mouth dropped. Her producer had jumped into the camera at the last second.

"Er, so I have a new slogan that we added to the new script to end the show with, but I think Kendra here lost hers." Joe shot Kendra a quick glare. "Anyways, here it is, folks. 'If you never give a second chance, what makes you think you deserve the ones other people give to you? Thanks, everyone for watching and see you next time!"

Sally's mouth was still hanging open. This time, it wasn't from Joe's untimely appearance on her show. It was because of what he said.

Sally bit her lip as the cameramen and backstage crew bustled around her, calling out orders and unplugging bulky equipment.

Was the quote right? Did she deserve anything? Was she worth it? Was anyone worth it?

* * * * *

"OH. MY. GOODNESS. Miss, I am sooooooooo sorry!!"

Sally laughed as Olyvia frantically grabbed a nearby makeup brush.

She had given Olyvia back her job. Olyvia seemed to actually be enjoying it now.

"I am extremely apologetic, miss Derkins, please, I just got my job back and I'm flubbing already..!!"

Sally let out another hearty laugh. "It's okay, Olyvia. But I'm warning you- don't make me have to give you a third chance!"


August 09, 2020 20:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Gip Roberts
20:26 Aug 20, 2020

The Critique Circle brought me here. At first, I didn't get what was going on in the story, but by the end, I was loving it. That's a sign of good writing to me. I got a kick out of your descriptions of Sally's attitude and the line: "using her television name as she flashed a toothy smile at the camera". I thought this was a really good story, and I only have a couple things to nitpick on. The use of all-caps in dialogue where the person speaking is angry or excited is generally frowned upon. Personally, I have no problem with it (and I'm g...

Reply

13:07 Aug 21, 2020

Thank you so much for the feedback, Gip!!! It really helps me with future stories. I will absolutely try (key word being try) to use all of your suggestions. Thanks again!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.