0 comments

Horror Coming of Age Fiction

I woke late that morning. Mom has told me the previous night to remind her to go to the hospital because she had an important surgery. My alarm woke me up and I called my mom's number and she didn't pick up. I stood up sluggishly from my bed to come online and chat with friends. Traditionally, we ate together on the first day of the year but lately everyone has been busy working their ass off. I was hungry, my room was basically like a food store and practically lived in my room everyday.

"What was I going to do today?" I thought to myself letting out a deep sigh. It was boring and too peaceful without the family especially my younger sister who had so many complains about her job and men. That's basically a typical Saturday. I kind of miss them but I'm going to take the opportunity to get work done.

Ding, Ding... I got a text from my from mom saying "Stay indoors son, a deadly virus is spreading rapidly, I am with dad and your sister, we will find a way to be home soon". Damn it!, I barked throwing my phone across the room. Why does it have to happen today? Why?, it is a new year for crying out loud.

I turned on the TV and it was all over the news, "Some civilians have become violent and ruthlessly attacking others, this began at the south east end of town but now it is spreading rapidly everywhere, the government has issued a national lockdown", the trail of the news lingered in my ears as I opened the my window to see an horrendous site. It was brutal, scary and violet. Everyone was running helter-skelter, the police station near to our building had already been destroyed, broken window, damaged cars. The street was red, filled with blood and swarm of flies. The air was to difficult to breathe in. I saw our neighbour devouring her own son. "ewwww...", I said loudly. The woman looked up at me with scary eyes and I ran off and draw the curtains.

Sirens wailing off, helicopters in the sky, explosion here and there, screaming and crying, violent behaviours. It dawned on me, it was like the Zombie apocalypse I watched in movies. I was scared. My family might be out there too infected like those people on the street. I tried calling my mom, she picks "Mom--", I said with a shaky voice.

"Don't worry son, we are in ...", a bang and then dead silence. I screamed "Mom, are you alright?". No answer. I fell on the floor and started crying. Then a thought came to mind. I picked up the landline and started calling the emergency line "We are sorry and can't help on the moment, stay on the line...", I didn't wait to hear the sentence before I hanged up. I tried calling my sister's number but it was already switch. She uses her phone 24/7 so she probably ran out of battery.

I tried calling dad, he uses his phone the least, he wasn't picking up too.

Wild thought were running through my mind.

The night was coming near and no calls, nothing at all. I sat in front of the TV all day watching the news maybe I could get some information about people being rescued but nothing came up, even the broadcasting stations were attacked. I still sat and watched hoping for some good news.

Now the streets were getting a bit empty and I planned on finding my parents somehow, I know it was dangerous but I have got to give it a try. I got a rope, a touch, foldable ladder and a bag of snacks and drinks. I set down the ladder and was trying to get on when I notice an infected person running toward it, I quickly brought back the ladder and returned inside. I heard earlier in the news that you shouldn't allow the virus infected person detect your location or else they will come for you. Now, I was becoming scared and I started to pull heavy stuff towards the door to ensure my safety. I got a pile of newspaper and glued it to my window and my transparent door. Took me hours but I was able to relieve some stress.

After I finished, I started planning how I was going to eat carefully without wasting till all this was over, I barely had enough to eat but I could manage as we have some extra foodstuff hidden for emergency. I carefully and planned meticulously my eating timetable.

It was survival for the fittest and I was ready to wait for my family to come back to me after all this was over.

My room was like a secret room in our house and it had everything a normal house would, I was working indoors almost every time so my room was built to have everything I needed. I called my friends to ask how they were doing. Only one picked up and he told me he was struggling cause he was in the school hostel when this happen and they were other people in his room and there is hardly any space to even breathe. At least he was with others, I'm left alone stuck here, it is hard enough to get to the main building to my house because I have to go outside. I sealed my other door which was the only shortcut to the main house. "Foolish me", I thought.

I fell asleep and woke everyday and it day kept getting worse. No calls. No family. No nothing.

-------

Eleven months passed by and I have lived my life on all the snacks and little food I had in my room. I ate noodles everyday and now I was running out of food stuff. I peed in bottles each day and try not to do the usual No 2 stuff. I was getting tired. Everyday, I prayed to meet someone I could talk to.

The government assured the public they were getting a cure to all this but I wonder if there is any public (humans) listening except the Zombie liked creature not understanding what was been broadcasted. I felt like the only one alive. It is been almost a year now and I have even heard any sounds made or communicated with anyone since the last. I called mom's number everyday but no one picked up. I was losing faith and at the same time having faith.

Today was practically the same as every other and I felt like I was going to die. Everyday, I have always recorded a video of myself, how I spent each day and talking about my family and if anyone finds them they should get in contact with me. I uploaded them on my YouTube account and I haven't even gotten any views or comments. I was on my last snack today, the noodles finished last week.

I just sat close to my window taking a peek at what was going on. Everyday was like a movie as I was the Zombie like creatures display their everyday horror. Whenever I peed, I rolled the bottle down at night when they were asleep to kill them with a foul smell. I even took a dump one in one of my favourite shirt and threw it downstairs. I was mad at them for getting the virus but how can I blame them they got infected too.

I was getting ready for the night and probably the last day on the surface of earth when I saw a light flash on my window through the little uncovered space. I was perplexed and jumped off from my bed thinking I was located by the Zombies already. I ran over to my closet and close the door slightly but the light kept flashing. I walked silently to my window to avoid attracting any attention. I could barely see but I switched on my phone's flashlight and flash back in response.

The flashing stopped and I froze to death on the spot. "What if I sent a signal to a Zombie that I was alive?", I thought to myself. Anxiously, I flashed the light to scan the apartment where it came from and to my utmost surprise, I saw a writing on the window, "So you are still alive", well that didn't end well for me as it sent different chills to my spine. I switched off my light and went to bed. I prayed for my life.

The next morning, I was hungry. I had no water or food. I peeked out of my window but the writing on the window from last night was gone. I was scared and relieved. Scared if I was been stalked by a Zombie and relieved I wasn't eaten last night.

Suddenly, I notice a movement at the window from last night, I was determined to find the stalker this time around. I watch closely and saw someone pacing up and down the room. The curtain was slightly open. It was morning and there was no way I could communicate or else else I was going to be discovered.

I mustered courage and removed newspaper from my window and looked into the other apartment and our eyes finally met. I was frightened. Was she human or a Zombie too?

She looked happy to see me like she knew me all this time, she tried to say something but I could hardly read her lips so she wrote on the window in bold latters. "Hi, I'm glad to meet you, my name is Lily and I'm not infected, so don't be scar...", the last bit of the message couldn't contain the window but I already understood. I was relieved to know that I wasn't the only normal person alive but still paranoid.

She slightly opened her balcony door and then her saw well. I opened my window and carefully stuck my head out then we communicated for a long time. It was the first time since January.

We planned to talk later at night when the Zombies were away. I was happy. Finally, someone to talk too.

I woke up the next day only to find out that I slept off, I opened my door and let out a disappointed sigh thinking she wouldn't talked to me. She finally came out and I apologized. I told her I ran out of food and she promised to send some over.

We planned on how to send stuffs over to each other and she told me she was going to throw a rope. We tried severally but either the rope was too short or kept missing the railing. I was starved to death and at the verge of fainting when the last trial became successful. We were happy and she sent me food everyday.

We sat outside covered in blanket just looking at the stars and hoping everything will be back to normal. Rain fell and we survived by drinking rain water and the snacks.

Things were changing for me too, I was happy and kept on recording my video hoping someday someone will see it.

Few days after I stopped seeing Lily, she hasn't come outside or communicated with me. I was beginning to get scared she was attacked. Two days passed and Lily was no where to be found. I tried talking on the walkie talkie she sent before she disappeared but no responds from her.

I was beginning to get sad again when I got a message from the walkie talkie, she said she had went out to get more food as there was nothing left. We fought that night because she didn't say anything to me and it was too dangerous. Later that morning, we settled our differences and each day became brighter with her around even though distance was a barrier.

-----

Two weeks left till the year will end, the government made an announcement that they have found a cure and they will start searching area for survivors and try to give the vaccine to the Zombies. It was very hard to send a signal out there. Lily and I struggled so and we got notice by a Zombie, now was the beginning of trouble. Group of Zombie attacked Lily's flat but she escaped to safety. She was going to come to my place but it was difficult as the Zombies were keeping an eye on me too. We cut down the rope linking to my room and I had to survive on the snacks I saved. We communicated through the walkie talkie each day and continued to send signals hoping we would be found.

On the last day of December, I posted another video again talking about my self and Lily. I was hoping someone will see it, prayers do work I believe even though it takes a longer time. That evening, I got over 5 million views and comment that my video was going to be sent to the government. I was happy and talked to Lily on the walkie talkie but she sounded so weak and I felt she fainted but there was no way to help her as I didn't know which flat she moved too. I got a text from mom, "Son, I hope you are safe, we are coming home soon", the joy in my heart knew no bounds as I hurriedly called her, I talked to dad and my younger sister and told them about my friend Lily. My dad promised to send help over quickly. That night, a helicopter came hovering in the building and found Lily, they said she was infected but has a stronger immune system. She was rushed to the hospital to get vaccinated.

I owe it to Lily how I managed to stay alive even in this confined space where it felt like my own world was crashing, she came and save the day. The vaccine was going to be distributed to the infected patient and Lily was getting better. That night, I had the best sleep of my life in a very long time.

March 07, 2021 13:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.