30 comments

Thriller Fiction Fantasy

My eyes took a while to adjust to the darkness. I was on the trail of the most alluring feline tail I had ever set eyes upon, beckoning me deeper into an unknown world, void of humans, yet full of intoxicating promises. Not wanting to lose sight of her, my swirling head drunkenly attempted to focus my besotted, veiled view of her – now fading into the shadows of a long alleyway. Those six quick shots I downed right before leaving Henri’s Bar are most definitely not helping my balance or eyesight; however, the hypnotising sway of her walk, has me mesmerised with desire. Quelle chance, mes amis. What luck that she crossed my path at the very moment of my exiting the bar.

Stumbling in the dimly lit passageway, I accidently kick over an old metal trash can that spews its discarded contents of fast-food leftovers onto the ground. A collection of hisses, growls, and shrieks accompany several Alleycats converging on the smorgasbord of fresh pickings I have gifted them. Collectively, they all stop and stare at me as I pause to talk to them.

Bonsoir,” I cordially greet them, but they just freeze-stare back at me in various poses of haughty suspicion. Not one of these little kitties return as much as a meow. It matters not. Perhaps, I am not like the kind of leering passer-by they are used to. By pointing at them and laughing at their rudeness, I bring unwanted attention to their discreet practices, so they begin to verbally abuse my unwelcome intrusion. Perhaps they are visually impaired by the surrounding darkness, because who in their right mind, can resist me in my starched and well-pressed uniform? It is apparent that they are not my type and are just too embarrassed by their unappealing appearances to acknowledge the plain and obvious truth, that keeps them feeding on the scraps that society throws at them. Misfortunate children of the lower classes, sad and downtrodden, they are unable to lift their game to my level.

“Do not fret, mes amis,” I comfort them. “You will find someone one day that will overlook your shortcomings.”

In unison, they reply with an upward jut of their rumps, straightening their postures, as they turn their gazes away from me. “Begone,” is their apparent message. It is of no consequence. They are not my destination. The fluffy sequined one swishing away down the alleyway is what I really seek. Look at that swagger.

“Lose yourself in that swish,” I tell myself. “Allow the surrender.”

 Oh, how my pulse races. She is truly magnifique. A beautiful creature of desire with the sensuality of a well-fed alleycat. I vow to introduce her to a level of passion she has never felt. She will soon realise that once you go Jacques, you never go Bach. How absolutely humorous of me. Along with my poetry, it is another inner quality that will smite her with desire for me.

Make a girl laugh and she will return for more,

Should she refuse me, then she is just a…

“Hey Sugar,” a sultry voice attempts to seduce me through the darkness. “Are you looking for a date?”

I momentarily halt, staring intently through the neon illuminated passageway to my left. At first, I see nothing. Then, someone saunters under the glare of a green, streaky light reflecting off a reddish brick wall. A sleazy denizen of the seedy character that neighbourhoods like this are notorious for. Offensive red lipstick smeared across her face, fails to hide the unpleasantness of her nature. Appearing weirdly purple in the current neon glow, her hideous appearance is merely a mirage caused by the undulating effulgent light. I am sure she is not that ugly in the warm glow of a bedside table lamp, or after several glasses of Absinthe. I am not disturbed. I am a man of the seven seas. A veteran of foreign wars that continually haunt my nightly dreams. A witness to horrors unimaginable by most of these city dwellers, so it would not be the first time I surrendered to the ugly lure of a quick jolly before battle, and it wouldn’t be the first time I did it as drunk as I am. But I am not to be distracted. I am on the hunt and will not let anything slow me down.

Je suis vraiment désolé, Mademoiselle. Forgive me,” I insincerely apologise. “Perhaps another time in another light,” I explain - while maintaining an element of polite decorum.

She purrs like she is willing to be friendly for a price. Like love to her is transitory, repeating, and a commodity to re-sell.

“Why chase it, when the capture is here, honey?” Her sales pitch screeches like fingernails across a chalkboard.

I know what she means, and I know what is on offer, but she is not pure like my sweet Antoinette. She is tainted with the scent of sex for sale and the body language of a Texas cowgirl offering rough rides and cheap thrills. I say cheap, yet I know not her price. However, my sixth sense tells me that the short-term cost may be damaging to my long-term health, and no amount of antibiotic cream would erase the lasting sores.

I try politely to let her down gently.

“Love is a privilege, Mademoiselle. But when I no longer can find it, perhaps I will return to purchase it…”

Tact has a habit of escaping me; however, on this occasion, it failed to even materialise in the first place. It seems my insensitive choice of words has angered her.

“You think you’re too good for me, you little tail chaser?”

Non, Mademoiselle,” I obstinately retort. “…I don’t think it, I just ‘appen to know it.”

My patience wears thin. She is keeping me from my objective, so it is time to turn on the rude by adding fuel to her fire with some French arrogance.

“It is life,” I dismissively gesture. “It is fact.”

It is then, that I realise we are not alone in our conversation. Two proportionately sized, large gingers reveal themselves in the neon glow - as it changes colour from red to blue. As I suspected… this was all a ruse to lower my guard, then take from me what I politely refuse to part with voluntarily. Judging by the appearance of the oversized steroid twins, it will not be a fair fight. However, what I lack in warrior skills, I more than make up for it in intellect.

“Hand it over!” The scruffy of the two ginger Toms demands. I decide to try some advantageous French guile.

Monsiour…” I reason. “I cannot give what I do not have.”

“We’ll be the judge of that. Now give me your wallet…”

“It’s judges,” I grammatically correct him – momentarily confusing his unlawful intentions. “There are deux d’entre vous… two of you. Surely, you ‘ave the foresight to see that puts this lonely French sailor at a disadvantage…”

Deux dante…? Where are you from, asshole?” The second ginger demands to know.”

De Paris!” I excitedly blurt out, as if the mere mention of the city of love would change the course of his plan to thump me, and just hug me instead - followed by a kiss on each cheek. It becomes immediately obvious that my city’s amorous reputation is completely lost amongst his ignorance of the outside world.

“Well, this ain’t parlez-vous France, buddy. This is the Bronx, New York City - the Big Apple, and you’re trespassing on our patch. You wanna pass through it, you pay. Comprehenday-Vous?”

“With what?” I confusedly queried before reiterating, “Like I already explained to your boss girl. I ‘ave nothing to give you but love…”

“Why don’t you give him a taste of our very own Bronx love, boys,” the mademoiselle encourages. “Dent that little French kisser of his. He’ll soon cough up the dough.”

Ma Cheri,” I plead to her sensibility. “You mistake me for some back-alley pugilist. I assure you that I am merely a lover and not a fighter. You, my little petal, are beyond my affordability. As strikingly beautiful as you are, I can only apologise to you that my heart is already taken. C’est dommage, that is just too bad… A hapless shame on my part. If only we had met earlier, ma petite Rose…”

Lesson one in the art of my love is if you cannot be sincere, then flatter till it matters. In this case, I appear to have taken the sting out of this little one’s scorpion tail, because she has called off the heavies.

“I can’t figure you out, Frenchie. You’re either naïve or you’re hiding a streak of danger behind that lover boy façade. I reckon you’re more trouble than I wanna know, so I’ll give you thirty seconds to skedaddle from my view. If I see you after that, then the boys here will get their fun day out, after all.”

No further explanation is needed. I have wriggled out of a potential setback. I salute them with a sailor’s farewell, then make my escape in under twenty seconds flat. Looking back just once, I am sure her lingering gaze wonders what my love would have been like. I know one thing for sure. Her boudoir would be much too hazardous for even my idea of a good time.

With haste, I lengthen my stride, trying to catch up with my Antoinette. If I didn’t know any better, I would say she is dawdling further down the alley, awaiting the resumption of our little game of not-so-trivial pursuit. What a teasing little minx she is, and how it makes me want her more. But I must be careful. Too eager and it may push her away. Too shy and she may just simply ignore me. Yes, if I am to win her love, my desire must be like a cradled passion that when squeezed, lets out just the right amount of balanced appeal.

Bonjour, mon amour,” I whisper. “You waited for me… That is such a beautiful gesture.”

Like the alleycats earlier, she says nothing, but just turns and heads away from me once again, pretending not to be interested.

“It is a challenge of my genuineness,” I tell myself. “She is testing me.”

If this cat and mouse game is to have a happy ending, then I must get ahead of her and prevent further progress, until she has been enlightened by my glowing admiration for her.

Using the dense shadows of the tall buildings to hide my advance, I swiftly scurry along the edges of the alleyway, gaining the advantage of pace and unavoidable destiny. Catching my breath, my pulse races, as I pant heavily from the excitement of the approaching surprise I have waiting in store. I see her, but she cannot see me. I can tell she is looking for me, because she continues to turn her gaze behind her while increasing her walking pace. I think she knows that her voyage is close to its destination, for I notice her eyes nervously darting from side to side, trying to detect my whereabouts. What valour! What daring! She has such an uncanny sense of inevitability yet continues heading toward her fate undeterred. How that makes me desire her so much more, knowing no matter what she does, her journey ends with me.

It is time. She approaches. Casually, I step out from the shadows and into the casting light of an old wall lamp flickering its warm yellow glow onto the cold ground. She now sees me, and her facial expression morphs from surprise into the most widened grin I have ever seen. Screaming with what I can only call, the delight of seeing me again, she backs away, arms raising in thrilled shock. My own two arms dramatically stretch toward her and beat back her weak repulse, forcing my loving hands to caress her exquisite neck with gentle squeezes - tightening slowly around her choking oesophagus. Oh, the ecstasy, the joy, the sheer unadulterated pleasure. Mon amour, we will always have this night. No-one can ever take it from us. You sensed the danger from the very moment you stepped into the alleyway, so let this moment be ours forever…

Staring lovingly into those beautiful blue eyes - whose lifeforce rapidly recedes from this existence, I smile at my reflection in her expanding, dilating pupils. Look how radiant she is, as I lay her pale sweet face onto a patch of wild green grass. I must be careful not to dirty your short but magnifique sequined dress. Mon Dieu, please forgive my carelessness. One of your high-heeled shoes has slipped from your dainty little feet. I may be a beast, but I am not an animal. I shall take it with me. A memento of our time together. Do not be concerned for its treatment, my little chérubin. It will have great company in my trophy cabinet.

Now, alas, I must love you and subsequently leave you. My ship sails soon and I am bound to sail with it – if I am to remain part of its crew. Many more ports of call await the arrival of my impending love, you see. Please do not judge me. I was born a semen to sail the seven seas of salacious immortality. My quest is destined for the annals of tomorrow’s history books, where they will record that this was nothing but a sport to me. Perhaps, they will describe that the game - as games go - was all in the chase, mon amour. You walked when you should have run. Had you not enticed me with your inviting swagger and that petite little swishy tail, this French Bulldog would not have chased the little kitty through the alley. What can I say, except that it is not my fault. I am not to blame. You led me on. How could I resist your charms? I was driven wild with the craving for you. The truth is, a leopard never changes its spots and a man seldom changes his ways. Alors, we were never meant to last long, because, after all, unrequited love is nothing but a forlorn delusion – a slap-in-the-face rejection that by my standards, always requires an immediate and suffocating response.

You are not to worry that your refutation has hurt my feelings, my little pussycat. Because once again, I shall be on the move, looking for the perfect love that I believe, am destined to find…

Adieu, my Antoinette… and bon voyage…

 

February 28, 2023 08:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

30 comments

Michelle Oliver
14:05 Mar 02, 2023

A well crafted story that is really not very comfortable. I needed to read it again to work it out because I kept seeing Pepe Le Pew in my head, so I hope that was the image you were going for. A very dark, Pepe who doesn’t knock his victims out with his scent, but strangles them instead. I like the constant animal/ cat/dog metaphor that you used throughout. Certainly an interesting read, although I’m not sure I can say that I enjoyed it, which I suppose was your intention, so I believe that makes it successful. Well done.

Reply

Chris Campbell
14:34 Mar 02, 2023

Michelle, Thank you for your feedback. Yes, your perception is spot on. The famous skunk was the inspiration for this story and yes, it was intended to unnerve the reader. An experiment in creepiness. Sorry it made you feel uncomfortable, but thanks for reading through to the end.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:08 Mar 02, 2023

Never apologise for your story doing precisely what it should. I think the discomfort stems from the fact that in some way the character is delightful in his roguish manner, and in other ways he’s horrific and phycho. It’s the contrast between these two perceptions that is so unsettling because in the beginning I kind of liked him, or at least thought that he was a charming rogue, and by the end was repulsed by his callousness.

Reply

Chris Campbell
00:29 Mar 03, 2023

Thank you, Michelle. It's how I hoped he would be received.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
02:31 May 19, 2023

“Do not fret, mes amis,” I comfort them. “You will find someone one day that will overlook your shortcomings.” Kind and yet patronising, nice balance. The metaphor and realisation of what’s going on are grim but well written. Hard to read but well done.

Reply

Chris Campbell
03:08 May 19, 2023

Thanks, Graham. I wanted to make the reader uncomfortable with Jacques. He's like a cross between Jack the Ripper and Pepé Le Pew . A very uncomfortable character in both personas. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Reply

Graham Kinross
03:17 May 19, 2023

Strangely though I got the feeling he bought into his own fantasy, that he thought the woman’s protests were flirtatious and he was that delusional and detached from reality. Was that how you saw it?

Reply

Chris Campbell
03:25 May 19, 2023

Yes, exactly. He is a mentally deranged psychopath and very dangerous.

Reply

Graham Kinross
03:42 May 19, 2023

One for Arkham Asylum.

Reply

Chris Campbell
03:51 May 19, 2023

For sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
17:28 Mar 22, 2023

Hi Chris, I thought you did an excellent job of playing into those stereotypes of the very creepy Frenchman. But I think that’s a difficult stereotype and hopefully an inaccurate one. One could argue it’s merely just different approaches to love. How many of us have begged people to just be more clear and ask to be with us or let us walk away? I loved the way you played into the French of this piece. As a girl who took 6 years of it, I loved walking down memory lane. I thought your imagery was incredibly vivid and the way you approached th...

Reply

Chris Campbell
23:25 Mar 22, 2023

Amanda, Thank you again for commenting on my stories. This one evolved as I wrote it. Initially, it was supposed to be like a Looney Tunes cartoon type of story. Instead, it turned out to be about another type of looney.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin V
01:09 Mar 09, 2023

Well, I didn't see THAT coming, that's for sure. And it didn't feel at all like one of those arbitrary twists carelessly thrown into a story in an attempt to improve it. It unfolded quite nicely, thank you. There is much here that I enjoyed, but I must say this one really stood out to me: - However, my sixth sense tells me that the short-term cost may be damaging to my long-term health, and no amount of antibiotic cream would erase the lasting sores. Cracked me up! Loved the wording. But the taking of the shoe for a trophy and how that u...

Reply

Chris Campbell
01:18 Mar 09, 2023

Kevin, Many thanks for your great feedback. The trophy symbolises the spoils of victory. Jacques clearly is a psychopath with "Malice aforethought" and it is all just a game to him - the pleasure being all in the chase. So glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jaryn Price
20:56 Mar 08, 2023

A very well-laid-out story. Way better than anything story I have ever written. It's a story that gives a promising tone and hints at other brilliant stories you have written.

Reply

Chris Campbell
01:11 Mar 09, 2023

Jaryn, Thank you for your kind words and great feedback. Looking forward to reading something of yours.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
06:24 Mar 05, 2023

Ewww... 'What can I say, except that it is not my fault. I am not to blame. You led me on. How could I resist your charms? I was driven wild with the craving for you. The truth is, a leopard never changes its spots and a man seldom changes his ways. Alors..' This story gets under the skin, which means you are doing something right!

Reply

Chris Campbell
13:48 Mar 05, 2023

Thanks, Marty. I wrote it with the full intention to unsettle the reader. Glad it worked and glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
16:20 Mar 04, 2023

That's quite a twist! The narrator starts off as a bit of an insufferable fop, but it turns out there really is something dark beneath the lover boy façade. "once you go Jacques, you never go Bach. How absolutely humorous of me" - I think this line did a lot of great characterizing. It's also humorous, which kind of puts us at ease and sets up the chilling reveal later. Unsettling, though enjoyable. I wonder if this worldly fellow will ever bite off more than he can chew? There's certainly enough arrogance for that.

Reply

Chris Campbell
02:38 Mar 05, 2023

Thanks Michal. I blame Pepe Le Pew for this story. I think Jaques will eventually bite off more than he can chew. He already hints at his inclusion in history books, so it's only a matter of time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
13:19 Mar 03, 2023

Wow, really good. It reminds me of the Browning poem, "Porphyria's Lover," and of a song by The Toadies, "Possum Kingdom." What a great serial killer story, rivaling anything concocted about Jack the Ripper. The French killer is delightful and scary, a devastating combination. Man, we need more serial-killer cat stories. What an amazing tale, Chris.

Reply

Chris Campbell
13:51 Mar 03, 2023

Delbert, Thanks for reading and your great comments. Would you believe this was inspired by the Pepe Le Pew cartoons?

Reply

Delbert Griffith
14:10 Mar 03, 2023

LOL really? I can see it now, the internal dialogue of the cat certainly mirrors that of dear Pepe. You have a knack for taking a bizarre idea and making it entertaining. That's some magic, my friend.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
22:32 Mar 01, 2023

Chris, love the pun in your title! This story freaks me out. But it reads great. One line at the beginning is super loaded, "My swirling head drunkenly attempted to focus my besotted, veiled view." Other than. I just wanted to let you know that it is well done. The pacing and flow work. If she ran into the alley and he pursued her into the alley. The alley scene could be a little more explicit as to whether he continues down the alley to find his amour or leaves the alley to find her. Lines that stick out as memorable. She is soon to r...

Reply

Chris Campbell
23:14 Mar 01, 2023

Lily, Thanks so much for the great and detailed feedback. Yes, he is a serial killer, using the guise of a sailor. I hint at him being a war veteran. Perhaps, the horrors of war warped his mind. That is something for me to explore further. That was draft one, so, I will be doing a small rewrite on it before close of contest. Yes, it is a creepy story. My partner suggested I post a warning at the beginning; however, I'm not a fan of warning the reader. When it comes to sinister, I like to surprise. The character is loosely based on Jack ...

Reply

Lily Finch
00:39 Mar 02, 2023

You succeeded with Pepe Le Pew and Jack the Ripper as they both clearly came through. Maybe if you mention a scalpel or cutting his victim that may help? LF6.

Reply

Chris Campbell
00:44 Mar 02, 2023

He strangles her with those outstretched arms. I might need to clarify that, so I'll take a look tonight.

Reply

Lily Finch
00:47 Mar 02, 2023

Sounds good, but the ripper cut his victims more like a surgeon might with a sharp instrument. LF6.

Reply

Chris Campbell
01:56 Mar 02, 2023

Yes, purported to be the royal surgeon searching for a prostitute impregnated by the then Prince Of Wales. That's one theory, anyway. I've loosely modelled Jacques on his English namesake, but he's probably more like the Boston Strangler.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.