0 comments

Fantasy Romance Thriller

"Hey guys, let's play truth or dare," Raven says.

"No, we always play that," Beatrix says.

"Then what are we going to do? I'm bored!" Peter exclaims.

"Bored? We just snuck into Shadowlight Academy. How can you be bored?" I ask.

"We'll have plenty of other opportunities to sneak in, once we attend here. Can we just go?" Harry asks, standing up.

"No way!" Harry's girlfriend, Linda says. "You know the rules as well as I do, we won't be attending this school for a while."

"I know, I know-"

"Then let's make the best of the time we have here," Linda says to Harry, pulling him down.

"Well-"

"Come on, Harry. Don't be such a wimp," my boyfriend Nick says. I like Nick but I hate the way he talks to people, so mean.

"Ok," Harry says sitting down. He looks away from Nick and at me. I am laying in Nick's arms on the ground. We are sitting in a circle. Nick and I are next to Raven on our left. Then it's Peter and Beatrix. Linda is copping me and laying in Harry's arms next to us. I wish he wouldn't look at me that way. He knows I- no I'm not going to think about that.

"Yay! This is going to be great," Linda says.

"As long as we don't play truth or dare," Beatrix says.

"Oh, we're going to play truth or dare. But by The Witch Code," Linda says smirking.

We all turn still. "Linda, you know we can't-"

"Ugh, Sage!" Linda says cutting me off. "You're such a rule follower!"

"No, I'm not. But there's a reason why we're not allowed to use The Witch Code till we're 18 and attending Shadowlight Academy Linda," I say.

"Sage you're such a loser!" Linda tells me. "Ugh, I guess we could just play normal truth or dare."

"NO, no anything but that," Beatrix says.

"Great then let's play by The Witch Code," Linda says.

-------

"Everyone hold hands!" Linda directs.

We all stand up and I take Nick's hand in my left. I turn to my right and see Harry with his hand extended. We stare at each other for a while before I take his hand. Linda takes his outher.

"Ready?" Linda asks. We nod. "Everyone knows what to say?"

"Yes," we all say. Although we've never performed The Witch Code. We all know it. I think every Witch does.

"Ok, here we go," Linda says, taking a deep breath.

"Witches of Stargaze hear our plea, make us one with thee. Bound our soles one and all, as we sing our song. Let's us play our little game to find our faith in ones we trust. As we play, make it sure. If one does not tell by truth or finish a dare, let them sink in a soleless despair," we all chant.

The Witch Code makes it so we either have to tell the truth or do whatever dare we are given while playing truth or dare. No matter what.

In the middle of our circle purple sparks come up from the ground sending bright waves around us.

The Witch Code worked.

------

"Ok, who wants to go first?" Raven asks.

"I will!" Linda shouts. Of course. Harry gives me a worried look. "It's ok," I mouth to him.

"Sage," Linda begins.

Shit.

"Yes, Linda?" I say.

"Truth or dare?"

"Truth," I say.

"Is it true that you are in love with Harry?" she asks.

Nick looks at me weirdly but doesn't say anything. Crap, I knew this was going to happen. I look at Harry, he looks horrified.

"Umm, I love all you guys. You're my best friends," I say. Although I didn't really answer her question I didn't lie. Which is why I was able to say it. Let's just hope she doesn't call me on it.

"Truth," she says.

Oh, shit. Once someone calls truth The Witch Code will make it impossible to lie.

"Ugh, I ugh," Nick is just staring at me.

The longer you resist The Witch Code it starts to kill you, slowly, painfully, harshly.

No one is saying anything. They are just waiting for me to speak. The Code is really hurting me now, soon I'll be dead.

"Yes! Yes! I’m in love with Harry," I scream letting the pain come off me. "Happy now?" I ask Linda.

"I knew it. You bitch," Linda says. Nick is speechless. "Does Harry even know?" Linda yells.

Before I can say anything Harry says " We wanted to tell you guys, we just didn't know how." I stare shocked at Harry.

Linda now turns to Harry "You what?" she shouts.

"Harry, be quiet," I say, grabbing his arm.

"Sage, how could you?" Nick asks me. He looks like he's about to cry.

"Nick I-"

"How long?" he asks.

"Nick-"

"How long!" he shouts.

"One year," I say as Harry puts a hand around my back.

"That's as long as we've been together!" Nick and Linda yell at the same time.

"I know, we didn't mean for you guys to find out like this. We-"

"No!" Linda yells crying. "Just stop! Just shut up!" she shouts. Nick is hugging her.

"Guys, can't we just talk about this?" Harry asks.

"No Harry. You know what? I call Dubble Quest," Linda says.

"And I call partners," Nick says. "I'm with Linda."

Aw shit.

Dubble Quest is when you get to ask the same person a second question. And you get to choose whether it be truth or dare. And partners is when you partner up with someone and you work together to come up with a question. You can also dare two people at the same time.

"Sage, I dare you to Pass Harry," Linda says.

I gasp and cover my mouth. "NO!" I say.

"You don't have a choice, Sage," Linda says.

"Oh, and Harry, I dare you to Pass Sage," Nick says.

Harry stares at me shocked before saying "No, you can't! I won't-"

"You have too or The Witch Code will kill you," Nick says.

Peter, Raven, and Beatrix are shocked, crying, and screaming. They know the rules as well as we do. There’s nothing they can do. No stopping the inevitable.

Two Pass someone in The Witch Code means killing a player out of the game. Literally. Once they die they don't come back. Not even after the game is over. They're gone, they die. For real.

Either Harry or I kill each other or The Witch Code kills us both. Even if one of us survives that would mean that we killed the other.

"Harry!" I say frantically.

"Shh Sage, I'm not going to hurt you," Harry tells me.

"Well I'm not going to hurt you either," I say before kissing him with everything in me.

"I love you," he says as we break apart. "So much."

"I love you, Harry."

"See you on the other side," he says.

"Yeah, see you on the other side."

August 15, 2021 02:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.