2 comments

Contemporary Drama Science Fiction

The lab was as quiet as a museum while everyone focused on their specific assignments. This marked day 1000 for Dr. Craddock and his team of unorthodox, resourceful thinkers. Dr. Craddock, once a tenured professor gave it all up to pursue something much greater.

"I am very much a scientist and realist," he said while walking around to each lab station. "You have been an integral part of my contribution to humanity. We will change the world for the better."

As a genetic mapping pioneer, he hungered for acceptance in the alternative science community. He wholeheartedly believed clandestine research and experimentation was the key to solving indifference, bias, and under-achievement for generations to come.

His chosen subjects Paul and Debra were perfect for such research but they were entirely unaware of their contribution to science.

Dr. Craddock's methods kept many in the dark, even those who worked with him. Results only mattered to him no matter the cost literally. If he could prove his theory and methods worked then genetic mapping could ultimately render him an expert.

The idea of this fed into a God complex that consumed him for many years. "When this is finally finished, you will thank me for choosing you," he announced to his team. The surveillance camera at his computer station displayed various days of the couple's activities outside of their estate. The guise of dedicated sanitation worked perfectly. Paul and Debra enjoyed the amenity greatly.

The two settled into a quiet suburb for its promise of safety and security. It also mirrored their idea of what a perfect community should be and they jumped at the opportunity to purchase the sprawling estate.

Paul and Debra lived in Perkins for most of their adult lives. The specific county was considered one of the most affluent and progressive areas for many years and it was a gorgeous home.

Today was shaping up to be another good day for them as sunlight peaked through the blinds.

The hum of the dishwasher was low as a crisp breeze from the window filled the kitchen." "The weather today will be spectacular, get outside if you can," advised the newscaster as the camera zoomed in on the city skyline.

"I think the idea to continue recycling and separating plastic and glass bottles is a super idea" said Debra as she chatted via speaker phone. "If it will help the environment and save the world, I am all in!" she laughed.

Paul was still asleep even though it was well after 10 am. Tomorrow would be hectic as usual and he needed to catch up on his rest. They were both only half way to retirement age, but were constantly planning on it independently and through moderate, bi-weekly 401K payroll deductions, stocks, and other financial means.

He was a well respected software developer and she was an educator.

They were pretty healthy and happy. Routine check ups and health exams plus an organic diet helped sustain them. Their hope for children hadn't been fulfilled though.

After suffering a miscarriage many years ago, Debra asked him to promise they wouldn't try again. The experience had been too much for her to handle. They both agreed that would be best.

"Honey are you still planning to go to the birthday party? I think Stan is expecting to see you there. You know it's a day party it starts at 3pm," asked Debra from the bottom of the steps.

He was awake now but still sitting up in bed. "Yes I plan to thanks for reminding me," said Paul. "Even though I must confess I don't really want to go," he said. "Why not Paul? If nothing else Stan always has the best catered spread. You don't have to stay long babe just show your face." She put on lipstick while she gathered personal items.

"He would show up for you Paul," she continued. He didn't respond but listened and sighed heavily.

" Ok, I'm going to the store and should be right back. I left some coffee brewing for you." Debra grabbed her purse, the car keys and left.

Paul remembered he hadn't checked the mailbox in quite some time. Still in pajamas and his robe he ventured outside. The mailbox was stuffed as usual with junk mail and paper bills that had already been paid online. There was a yellow business envelope with an official looking seal on the front and back of it. Paul discarded everything else.

Just as he re-entered the house the waste management truck was making its rounds to pick up recyclables in their subdivision. He pondered this a little. "Unusual or maybe not, the mail is even being delivered on Sunday too," he mumbled to himself. "They have to work every day I guess."

Paul couldn't distinguish what agency the letter had come from. Oddly there was only a PO Box for the return address.

The document was securely sealed in an additional envelope and read "Confidential" across the top in bold red letters. It read:

Dear Paul and Debra,

Your rights may have been violated. All of your recyclable material may have been stored and used for unorthodox clinical experiments.

Since no consent was needed to collect the "recyclables" from your residence, an underground group of scientists called TheTruGods may have improperly gathered specific "intelligent" DNA from various households for years.

According to the files we were able to extract, a domestic group of scientists called (TheTruGods) believe "cloning, genetic mapping, and isolation of specific DNA from certain "highly intelligent subjects" can lead the world into a "renaissance of desirable thinkers and a chosen, perfect population."

PLEASE DISCONTINUE THE PRACTICE OF LEAVING YOUR RECYCLABLES OUTSIDE. It is our belief they are planning some form of anarchist movement in the very near future.

Please consider yourself warned from a very reliable source.

This is the extent of what could be shared with you safely for now.

There was no signature on the document only a stamp with the initials -XRA.

"Honey I'm back, did you check the mail?" asked Debra while bringing bags into the house.

Paul looked up at her quickly and said "No."

November 26, 2022 17:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Rabab Zaidi
16:05 Dec 03, 2022

Interesting.

Reply

Michelle SHAAY
04:18 Dec 04, 2022

Thanks for the comment today!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.