0 comments

Contemporary Drama

“Where are you going?” Wendell followed his wife, Yvette, down the stairs of their two-story townhouse.

“I just need to clear my head.” She opened the hallway closet and pulled out a winter jacket.

“Baby, can we please talk about this?”

“I’ve said all I wanted to say.”

“And now I want to have my say.”

“Wendell, please just let me go. I need some time and space to think.”  She threw on her jacket and grabbed her handbag hanging on one of the hooks on the wall.

“I can’t let you do that.” Wendell moved around her to block her from getting to the front door.

“Wendell, please move.”

“No.”

“Wendell, move.”

“No.”

“Wendell!” She crossed her arms over her chest.

“I can’t let you go.”

“Why not?”

“Because I know that if I let you walk through that door, you are not coming back.” He kept eye contact with her, willing her to disagree with him.

“That’s not . . . I just need  . . . to get some fresh air.” She uncomfortably shifted from one foot to the other.

“Mommy?” Forrest, their four-year-old son said as he stood at the top of the stairs.

“Hey, baby.” Yvette turned around to focus on him. “You should be in bed.”

“Where are you going?”

“Mommy is just going for a quick walk. But I’ll be back when you wake up in the morning.”

“Can I have some milk?”

“Sure. Daddy will get you some and bring it to your room.” She glanced back at Wendell with raised eyebrows.

“But I want you.” Forrest squeezed his furry blanket closer to his chest.

“I’m sure Mommy wouldn’t mind bringing you some milk, bud.” Wendell inserted himself into the conversation.

“Wendell . . .” she muttered under her breath before she addressed her son again, “Baby, why don’t you go back to bed and Daddy will be right up.”

“Can I come with you?” Forrest started taking a few steps down.

“I’m sorry, baby. But mommy needs to go out alone. And you need your sleep so you can grow big and strong, like Hulk.”

“But I want to go with you.”

“I know, but it is cold outside and I don’t want you to get sick.”

“But you are going outside.”

“Yes, but mommy has a jacket to keep her warm.” She gestured to the one she had on.

“I have a jacket.” Forrest took the last few steps down and disappeared into the hallway closet Yvette left ajar. “See?” He came out with his jacket in his hand.

“I see that. But a superhero like yourself needs sleep so that when someone needs help, you will have enough energy to help them. So you need to go up to your bed, okay?” She bent over and kissed him on the head, before turning around to leave.

“Can you read me a story?”

Stopping in her tracks, Yvette closed her eyes and breathed through her nostrils before turning back around. “Not now, okay sweetie.”

“Why not?”

“Because mommy really needs to leave right now.”

“Why?”

“Because . . . because we are out of  . . . milk and mommy needs to buy some more.”

“Can’t daddy get it?”

“No, he can’t because I said I would.”

“Daddy, can you go and get the milk?” Forrest moved his attention to his dad.

“Forrest, sweetie. Mommy promised daddy she would get milk and you know how we feel about breaking our promises.”

“But . . . but . . .” His bottom lips started quivering.

“Forrest, baby. Don’t cry. I won’t be gone long.”

“Please.” Forrest scrunched up his blanket.

Yvette pressed her lips together, looking to Wendell for help. But all she got from him was a shrug. “Okay. One story, but then you need to go to bed.”

His eyes lit up in agreement.

“Why don’t you go upstairs, pick a book and I’ll be right up.”

Dropping his jacket, Forrest turned around and dashed upstairs with his blanket trailing behind him. As soon as he was out of sight, Yvette turned to Wendell jaw clenched.

“Seriously!”

“What? I can’t help it if he wants his mother.”

“Yet you didn’t hesitate to encourage him.”

“Yvette, we all need you. Can’t you see that? I’m sorry, okay. How many times do I have to say it?”

“You can say it until you are blue in the face and it still won’t make a difference. Not only have you been lying to me for months, but you messed with my birth control. In all of your scheming, did it ever occur to you for one second that it might be a bad idea?”

“But baby, you’re such a natural. You saw the look on his face when you said you’d read him a story.”

“That’s your excuse? So because I am a decent human being and I take responsibility for my actions that means I want to have a dozen children?”

“You love spending time with him and –”

“And what? What part of ‘I don’t want any more children’ did you not understand?”

“I just thought –”

“You just thought what? That I’d 'accidently' get pregnant and be super happy and excited?”

“Well, yes.”

“I love that little boy with all my heart and I would do anything for him. But if I could go back, I wouldn’t have had him.”

“Baby, you don’t mean –”

“You know what, there is no point trying to talk to you because you just don’t want to listen to what I actually have to say. I need to go.”

“But you promised Forrest you’d read to him.”

“Yes, and you promised that we wouldn’t have more kids. I guess promises mean nothing in this house.”

“Yvette –”

“Wendell, move.”

“Please don’t do this.” He pleaded even though he moved away from the door.

“Mommy?” Forrest’s voice vibrated throughout the house.

Wrapping her scarf around her neck, Yvette glanced up uncomfortably towards the direction the voice came from. Straightening her spine, she walked to the front door.

“Mommy, I found a book.”

Another pang of guilt hit her in the gut. Bending down, she picked up her boots one by one and put them on.

“Yvette, please.” Wendell reached out to her, but she shrugged him away. “Please don’t do this. I’m sorry.”

“I just need some time.” She avoided eye contact as she brushed past him.

Hand on the doorknob, she pressed down on the handle when Forrest’s faint voice tickled her ears, “Mommy, are you coming?”

April 17, 2021 01:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.