8 comments

Adventure Science Fiction Speculative

Just because an action may be outlawed, doesn’t mean it will never be carried out. For instance, detonating a neutron bomb maybe banned, but still, it is possible for someone to commit such a deadly act. Even if you ever heard someone even suggesting such an insane idea, you may say, “That’s ludicrous! Why would someone do something so dangerous?” And you’d be correct in your assumption if it was one’s intention to wreak havoc on the world.

But what if you were wrong? What if this individual want to prove Einstein’s theory of relativity by creating a worm hole for a microsecond and needed the power of the bomb to open it. Would he be wrong, or should I say, would Peter Robins be wrong in doing so? Only time will tell.

As the public well knows, the testing of nuclear bombs has been banned, but what may not be as well-known is nuclear weapons testing is still completed in lab simulations and controlled settings. Another matter hidden from public eyes is the Federal Government has a multibillion-dollar budget covering this research, and fortunately for Peter, he had the privilege of being one of their recipients of this cash cow.

Peter, unlike most researchers who were testing miniaturized deployment and detonation devices, was attempting to punch holes in the space time continuum to catch glimpses into the past and future. Needless to say, the Department of Defense was more than interested in this research and willing to assist anyways they could. That’s why Peter is sitting in an underground bunker hidden in the vast desert of Fort Irwin, California, admiring his surroundings. Guards stood by the entrance to the lab and military observers swam around the room, watching every move he made. The room was relatively small, about the size of a large living room. The walls were encased with computer equipment, radioscopic cameras, external sensors, and a variety of other equipment design to monitor, as well as protect those in the room. That was all and good, but jewel of the project lied in the center of the room, for there was a spherical container strong enough to contain an explosion of ten kilograms of plutonium. According to Peter’s calculations, that amount of plutonium held enough power to punch a hole through time and space.

Normally, a detonation of this magnitude would devastate several square miles of area, but that wasn’t Peter’s intent. Instead, of a radiation blast spreading out, Peter was trying to set off a blast inside the spherical container which would reflect the radiation to one point, creating a micro blackhole, thus connecting it to itself in different points in time.

“At last, after all these years of research, I’m going to succeed at what man has could only imagine doing in the theaters,” exclaimed Peter. “I’m about to open the doors between now and then.”

Quickly, he chased his colleagues out of the lab and flipped a switch on the control panel, to send a repeated automated transmitted message to whenever the signal is received. A final glance at the instruments said he was ready. “This is it.” He began his final countdown. “Four, three, two, one…” as he pressed the red button, the room began to spin and shudder beneath my feet. As Peter grasped the rail surrounding the sphere to balance himself, a wave of nausea overtook him, and before he knew it, his world turned black.

A moment later, Peter opened his eyes, finding himself in the lab. But something was different. Half of the monitors were shut down and no one was standing by the doorway. No colleagues, no military observers, and no guards. Without thinking, Peter glanced at the digital calendar on the counsel. When he saw the date flashing at him, his heart nearly stopped, for nearly twelve years have passed by in a blink of an eye.

It was more powerful than I imagined, he thought. Somehow, it pulled me in and now I’m standing here, or should I say when? Either way, I have to find a way to send a message home and let everyone know it worked.

He thought sending himself back through time, but quickly dismissed the idea.

Time may be going forward here, he thought, but at the other end of the tunnel, time was frozen, with me still hanging on the rail at the lab. Even if I could go back, it wouldn’t work. As soon as I got there, history would repeat itself and I would find myself back here.

Peter began searching the lab. There must be something I can send, proving time travel is possible. Then he eyed the computer. News from the future! That will certainly draw their attention. The computer stirred into life when he touched the keyboard. Twelve years, and still running. It’s amazing how durable a computer can be.

Peter began searching through news articles, but when he discovered the main topic, his heart nearly stopped. Millions perish, due to radiation poisoning, was the major headline. He forced himself to continue reading. Multiple searches through Fort Irwin have been in vain, trying to discover the cause of the radiation. Sources have reported, the radiation origin is definitely there, but the exact point was elusive. A source has quoted, “It’s there, but it isn’t. it’s nothing like we’ve ever encounter before. Finding it may be impossible.” Western United States is preparing to commemorate the twelve-year anniversary of when the inexplicable death of fifteen million American citizens began. The memorial will commence at Barstow, California, where the first casualty was reported.

Peter trembled as he turned off the computer. That’s why no one is here. The area has been evacuated. Then, like a ton of bricks dropping, it hit him. It’s my fault. I’m responsible for the death of millions and there’s nothing I can do.

At least there’s nothing I can do now. Perhaps I can send a different kind of message to the past, something that will make them stop. A simple letter would be too slow. The message had to be immediate and to the point, but what?

Peter thought about destroying the reactor in front of him but dismissed it. It wouldn’t erase the twelve years of havoc it caused. So, the answer was simple. Destroy the reactor on the other side of the tunnel, that and me from the past along with it. It seems like a fitting end, considering what I’ve done. So, the search for a weapon began.

With all the equipment lying in the lab, Peter was surprised to see it was useless for the task in hand. There’s got to be something! Then, it hit him. The Guards. They may have left something behind. Peter ran to the hallway and opened a nearby door. Luck was with him, for the door he opened led to the ammo locker and it was untouched. In it were six assault weapons, ammo, smoke grenades, and the most prized discovery, grenades. Ignoring everything else, he picked up two grenades and returned to the lab.

By the time he returned to the sphere, doubt clouded his mind. What if it doesn’t work? What if I only succeed in blowing myself up here? There was only one way to find out. It was time to experiment.

Peter pulled out a pad of paper and wrote a note. When Peter was finished, he signed it and returned to the sphere. Well, here goes nothing. He tossed the paper towards the sphere and just before it landed, the letter vanished into thin air. Peter held his breath. Minutes passed, and when the letter failed to reappear, he sighed with relief. It’s time. One by one, Peter picked up the grenades and removed their safety pins. Speaking at the sphere, he uttered, “if anyone can hear me, I just want to say I’m sorry.” Then he tossed the grenades towards the sphere and watched them disappear. “I’m sorry.” A distant rumble echoed in his ears and the world vanished around him.

***

Shouting at his aide, General Spencer impatiently paced by the lab entrance. “It’s been two days since the accident. Haven’t they cleared up the contamination by now?”

The aide, more than use to the outbursts of the general, calmly said, “It’ll only be a few more minutes, sir. They’re just checking to make sure there are no more explosion devices.”

Before General Spencer could retort, an inspector came out of the lab. “You can go in now, sir.”

Without delay, Spencer stormed in the lab, with his underlings following in his wake. A cursory glance of the damage told him it could be repaired, if desired. He scanned the technicians droning in the room, until his eyes stopped on a familiar face. “Dr. Chase. A word, please.”

Dr. Chase approached the general, saying, “Yes sir. How can I assist you?”

“This project. I know it was Dr. Robins to run, but what do you think about someone else taking over the project? If we can even get a glimpse of the future, think about how that would give us a significant advantage in our defense strategy?”

Dr. Chase shook his head. “I don’t know much about defense strategy, but I do know we shouldn’t pursue this course of action.” He handed a letter to General Spencer. “Read this.”

“What is this?” he asked.

“A letter from Dr. Robins, from the future.”

General Spencer unfolded the letter and began to read. “To whom it may concern. The experiment was a success, and I am writing to you from twelve years in the future, but I’m afraid the cost is too high. In the twelve years that have passed, millions have died, and it is unknown how many more will die afterwards. That is why I had to destroy the lab. Now I beg you not to pick up where I left off and wreak havoc on innocent souls. Trust me, I know. It’s not worth the cost. Yours, in time, Dr. Peter Robins.

General Spencer refolded the letter and placed it in his pocket. “I presume you read the letter., Dr. Chase.”

“Yes sir.”

“And if I ask you to forget it, you would.”

“I believe so, sir. I would.”

“Very well. Just to let you know, I’m going to put in my report the experiment was a complete failure and I feel there is no need to continue the research. Save science fiction for those who live in a fantasy world. You’re dismissed, Dr. Chase.”

As Dr. Chase rejoined the blur of faces, General Spencer walked out of the lab. Future gazing seemed like a good idea, but even if what Dr. Robins said is halfway true, it’s not worth it. Just as he was about to step into his car, he pulled the letter out of his pocket, along with a lighter. Lifting the letter with one hand, and the lighter with another, he ignited the lighter and placed it under the letter. The letter burst into flames and a moment later it was nothing, but I pile of ashes. Now, the experiment was a complete failure. His aide closed the door behind him, leaving the future in the past.

May 20, 2022 14:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

David Wu
19:35 May 29, 2022

Wdym by “I’m about to open the doors between now and then.”?

Reply

Howard Seeley
05:00 May 30, 2022

Peter was about to make history, by peering at a different point in the timeline, and was stating this fact. Little did he know he was going to be dragged through time himself.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David Wu
18:26 May 27, 2022

Best story of all time.

Reply

Howard Seeley
03:31 May 28, 2022

Welcome to Reedsy. Thanks for the kind words. Hope to read from you soon.

Reply

David Wu
04:54 May 29, 2022

Is there any grammar problems in this story? I found some

Reply

Howard Seeley
04:56 May 29, 2022

Seems to be a problem of mine. Please share if you see any.

Reply

David Wu
19:37 May 29, 2022

"A final glance at the instruments said he was ready" Is there any problem with this sentence?

Reply

Howard Seeley
20:04 May 29, 2022

Conversational English. "A final glance at the instruments told him he was ready" might be better.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.