1 comment

Fiction

Eunice M. Amero

1,173 words

The Help of a Bear

A little girl named Jackie and her mother went walking in the forest one day to find a place to have a picnic.

“Mother could I carry the basket, please?”

“It’s too heavy for you, Dear.”

“Let’s have our picnic here beside this beautiful lake,” Jackie said.

“Okay, that’s a nice spot,” Mother agreed with a smile. “Help me spread the blanket, Honey.”

After the blanket was spread they placed all the food, dishes and napkins on it. Jackie was like a tomboy and she loved to climb, so she climb upon this huge rock.

“It is so beautiful up here, Mother. I can see all kinds of flowers, and lots of red berries everywhere, even ducks in the water.”

“Really? Would you like me to pick some berries for you, Jackie?” Mother asked smiling up at her.

“Sure,” Jackie answered. “Can I help you?”

“You sure can.”

Jackie always enjoyed going on a picnic with her mother and she never failed to pick her berries every time. She knew how much Jackie loved them. They picked blueberries, raspberries and even blackberries. Mother would laugh when Jackie ate them, her tongue and lips would turn colours.

Later Jackie was getting tired.

“Go sit near the big rock on the grass. I won’t be long.” her mother told her as she continued to pick berries.

Jackie watched her mother as she picked berries. She yawned and yawned, and finally fell asleep.

Time passed. Day come and gone, and still Jackie slept. When she awoke she rubbed her eyes and stretched. She looked around for her mother but she was gone. She cried, “Mommy, mommy where are you?” Something wasn’t right. She noticed her legs grew longer and her pants weren’t fitting anymore. Her feet were hurting because they were too big for her shoes. Her sweater sleeves were short.

“What is going on?” she cried. “Where is Mother?”

When Jackie looked around she noticed everything had changed. The rock beside her seemed smaller against the tall grass and alders. There were no more beautiful flowers, nor berries, and all she could hear was the sound as the breeze rustled in the tall trees that had grown around her. She could hear birds as they flew overhead. Jackie felt so afraid. She cried for her mother again and again, but no answer. She knew she couldn’t sit there and cry forever, she had to do something. She decided to go try to find her mother. So off she went.

As she walked through the forest she met a deer.

“Hello,” Mr Deer, “have you seen my mother?” she signed.

“No. I haven’t seen anyone.” he said in his deep voice, “I’ve been busy eating grass.”

Then later she met a porcupine.

“Hello,” Dear Porcupine, have you seen my mother?”

“No, I’ve been too busy eating bark.”

Later she met a raccoon.

“OH Mr. Raccoon, have you seen my mother?”

“My dear no. I have no time seeking a mother. I am too busy seeking eggs.”

Jackie felt like giving up, but she couldn’t. She knew she had to find her mother, so she continued on.

“Hello Mr. Moose. Have you seen my mother?”

“Nooo, the Moose slowly replyed, I’ve been too busy at the pond.”

Later she noticed a beaver in a river near by.

“Oh, tell me Mr. Beaver, have you seen my mother?”

“Certainly not!" He answered smartly, "I’m too busy building a dam that human's are always taring down on me.”

“Oh no, what am I going to do?” She cried and cried.

“What’s the matter with you, young lady?” A huge bear asked, as he was coming from out of the thick forest. “Why are you crying?”

“I lost my mother and I don’t know where to find her.” Jackie couldn’t stop crying.

“Don’t cry. I think I know where she is.”

Jackie stopped crying. “You do?” Jackie wiped away her tears. Innocently she asked, Would you take me to her?”

“Get on my back.” The bear bent enough to let Jackie get on her back.

It seemed they had walked for hours, when suddenly the bear said, “You see that cabin over yonder.”

“Yes,” Jackie replied.

“She’s in there. I don’t dare to go any closer because they already tried to kill me several times.”

“How do you know?”

“Well, ten years ago I saw two men dragging a woman there like other times before.”

“Oh no.” Jackie reply.

“That’s right,” the Bear added, I watch them plant berries and after you eat them you fall asleep, then they drag them to that cabin. They lock them up and uses them for slaves. Then if they get too hungry. They sometimes eat them.”

“Do you think my mother is still alive?”

“Go see for yourself, the men are gone. They go every afternoon for fresh water.”

Jackie thanked the bear but she still was afraid. “Please Mr. Bear please take me to the door. The grass is too high and it will be too hard to walk in. You told me the men are gone.”

“Okay, but we better hurry.”

The bear said, after dropping her off, “Okay young lady be careful.”

“I will. Thank you so much.” Jackie kissed the bear then went inside.

The bear liked the girl and hoped she will have no trouble.

When the girl got inside she heard someone crying.

“Mommy!” she shouted.

“Jackie you’re alive.”

“Yes, and a kind old bear helped me to find you.”

“I am so happy,” Her mother’s voice was fable. It hurt Jackie to see her mother had aged.

“Never eat any berries.” Mother warned her. “I thought you were gone forever because I thought you ate a lot of berries that day. They make you sleep and if you eat too many you never wake up again.

“Oh Mommy, I was so afraid. I thought I would never see you again.”

“Jackie I hear footsteps, but don’t worry I did something to the soup in the fridge.” Jackie quickly hid behind the pile of wood next to the stove.

When the old men got inside they comment on smelling someone new. “What’s that smell?” they asked each other.

"It smells like something new." one old man said.

Another man said, "Well it sure smells good."

Jackie’s mother was so nervous she could barely speak. “I made you some soup that you will love.”

“Then get us some. We are starving” one man growled.

Nervously Jackie’s mother poured them each a large amount. The men laughed and said it smells delicious.

The men were so hungry they never noticed the berries Jackie put in it, and ate it all up, for they were so hungry, being out all day.

Suddenly they fell asleep.

“It worked, it worked.” Jackie’s mother cried.

Finally Jackie and her mother were free at last. Still today after twenty years the men sleeps on, all because of the berries Jackie put in their soup. 

March 19, 2021 16:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

05:18 Mar 28, 2021

Cute fairy tale. Watch your tenses, however. I notice you shift from past to present at least a few times (i.e., The bear liked the girl and hoped she will have no trouble.). Otherwise, a solid piece.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.