Dating App Drama

Submitted into Contest #53 in response to: Write a story about summer love — the quarantine edition.... view prompt

2 comments

Romance

It all started on Wednesday.

I was just scrolling through my phone, when I noticed this app that I had never seen before- Real Romance. My first thought was 'what the heck is this?', since I had basically never downloaded any app besides 'Candy Crush'. So this was a bit of a shocker.

So, I started to wonder why this app had just appeared on my phone. And then I realized, maybe it didn't just appear- maybe it had been there the whole time and I just never saw it. Because, you know how some phones come with apps already built into them. So I figured I just never payed any attention.

As it turns out, Real Romance is a dating app. I'm single, and there's a freakin' pandemic going around, so I'm like, okay, maybe I should try this out. It couldn't hurt.

So, first, the app asks me to sign up. It's free, so I sign up, no problem. Then it asks me for my name-full name, not just first and last. Middle name included.

I carefully type in 'Jenna Katie Law'. Then, the app makes me go to the next step.

It gets a bit weird there. It asks me to type in every single one of my features. I'm wondering if next the app's gonna ask for my social security number. That would be the last straw.

But no. After I enter my hair color (reddish brown), my eye color (brown), my skin tone, (peach?), and my hair length (shoulder), it takes me to a page where I just have to type in who I'm looking for, and my likes and dislikes.

I typed in the following;

'I am looking for a muscular man of around 23-25, who wears a chain necklace-preferably brunette.'

I stop. NO WAY. Too straightforward. I retype it;

'I am looking for a caring guy, between the ages of 23-25.'

Better. I move on to what I like.

'LIKE- Watermelon, pears, winter, snowboarding, writing, beach.

DISLIKES- anything sour, pixie cuts, and penguins.'

I re-read what I've written one more time. Pretty suttle. No harm done.

The next page asks me for my zip code and city and state. I type 'Birch County, NJ 22761.'

The final page asks me for one or three pictures of myself. It can't hurt to have a bit more than one. I add in one of me in a bikini at the beach, one of me in front of my college, and one of me on a snowboarding trip from last winter. Cool.

So, after I submit everything, a little icon pops up that says 'THANK YOU, JENNA KATIE LAW FOR CHOOSING 'REAL ROMANCE.' WE'LL FIND YOU A SOULMATE IN NO TIME.'

I breathed a sign of relief. Cool. Now all I had to do is wait.


5 days later, I'm still waiting. I've never used a dating app before, so I didn't know how it worked. But, luckily, at exactly 2:49 that afternoon, the most dramatic event I have ever experienced in my life occurred- I got a message from the dating app.

I quickly went on the dating app and scrolled through my account. At the very top of the page was a button that read 'We have 4 new guys who might be right for you- click here to check 'em out!'

I almost screamed with delight. I pressed the button.

The first guy was Rodriguez Daneilo. He lived just a few minutes away, and liked fries and snowboarding. I deleted him. I don't like fries.

The next man was my age, and was called 'Peter Drake.' I automatically crossed him out. His picture was gross- not handsome, at all.

The third dude was Vincent Van Hoot. he lived about 20 minutes away from me, and was pretty cute. He had only one flaw- he was 13 years older than me. I'm sorry, but I don't think I (nor my parents) could accept myself living with a man older than me. He was deleted.

The final person was called 'Trent Walker.' He was a cute gut, with icy blue eyes and wispy brown hair. He liked pears and writing. I smiled as I read his biography- he was perfect for me.

I pressed a few buttons on the app, and soon, I got hooked up with Trent. Now all I had to do was wait for him to approve of the relationship through the app.

I held my breath that night, and the following morning. I was eagerly awaiting confirmation of Trent and I's beautiful relationship.

Then, it happened. I, Jenna Katie Law, received confirmation the Trent Walker had agreed to meet me-through the phone of course. Stupid pandemic.

So, on Wednesday evening, just a week after I had joined the dating app, I was prepping myself to meet Trent. I was dressed casually, with a green knit sweater and a gold necklace.

I was sitting in front of my phone, eagerly awaiting the ring meaning Trent was calling. I fluffed my hair and applied some last minute make-up, before a small beeping could be heard from my phone. TRENT! This. was. it.

I quickly answered. There he was, handsome as ever, in what appeared to be his kitchen. He grinned at me. I grinned back.

"Uhm.. hello."

I almost died. He had an accent. An Australian accent.

"Hello!"

"You must be Jenna."

"Yup!" I fidgeted with my fingers nervously. I was not starting up any conversation.

"Erm, so, I do believe we were supposed to do some cooking or somethin'," Trent said casually, scratching his neck. His I's sounded like ah's.

"Huh. Yes, I think so! I got out this fantastic recipe! Have you ever heard of 'bowl a la mode'?"

Trent laughed. "Do you mean ice-cream?"

I beamed. "Yup... and what do you have?"

Trent shrugged. "Just some Australian shrimp."

I nodded. "Okay!! Let's get started."


And, that's how it all began. Trent and I have definitely gotten to know each other, and we're even going steady! I'm so happy! It got me thinking- maybe this pandemic isn't so bad after all. At least when you have someone to share it with.


August 04, 2020 14:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Amany Sayed
15:23 Aug 04, 2020

Awww, this was a sweet romance story. I think if the right prompt comes up, you should write more about Trent and Jenna's love story. Or, you could maybe even write it from the beginning from Trent's perspective. I absolutely adore accents and love that you gave Trent one. The way Jenna reacted to each man's profile made me laugh. Really great story Nataleigh! If you ever get the chance, I would be grateful if you could check out one of my more recent stories! Thanksss Amany

Reply

17:38 Aug 05, 2020

Okay! Thank you so much for the feedback. I will definetly check out your new stories, Amany! Nataleigh

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.