2 comments

Suspense Teens & Young Adult Romance

"DMITRI?!" I said in hopes he would yell back.The panic starts to settle.The fire is starting to rise and close in and I'm starting to lose hope.Then the smoke starts to fill up my lungs, My brain starts forget about all the beautiful memories with him.All the times we had arguments and the smallest of fights had vanished from my brain.As I breathe out all of the smoke from my lungs I start to feel dizzy.I suddenly collapsed and tried to keep my eyes open but in all hopes he was gone I had to accept that."SAGE!" I heard from a distance but I couldn't function anymore. Things that were already happening was too fast and only could breathe slowly."GUYS SHE'S HERE!"Dmitri says running over to sage in a hurry picking her up."She's not breathing ... She's not breathing, guys hurry."Dmitri says yelling to the firemen that were taking care of the fire in the building."Please don't die.. I-I love you and I've always had.We have never talked about getting together but I've always had feelings for you.. (why did i even have the nerve to tell you now?).The firefighters came rushing and started to take out the water. “Please someone help, she's not waking up. I can’t hear her heart beating,”Dmitri said to one of the firefighters.One of the firefighters started carrying her out of the building and I started to follow them. “Please tell me she’s gonna be okay.”I said getting on the ambulance behind her. “We can’t tell you for a fact- but are related to her? A friend maybe?”He said before closing the door. “A- A friend.”I said. “Hop on.” He said helping me up and closing the door behind me.She was all wired up, they were giving her oxygen through a tube. “What have I done.. If i could have gone there faster do you think I could've saved her..”I thought to myself.Then I hear the sound no one ever wants to hear.Everything was in slow motion when it happened. “She is flat lining  start giving her chest compression's.” One of the EMT’s said. “W-whats going on? What's happening?”I said in a worried voice.I started shaking. “It’s gonna be okay I'm gonna need you to be calm.”One of the female EMT’s said. “N-no please help her don’t let her die.”I said tearing up. All of the sudden the ambulance stops. “Come on guys let's take her out, come on keep it moving go GO!”The driver said to take her out and into the ambulance. “Where are you guys taking her? Let me go with her please.”I said trying to get through them. “Sir please stay calm everything's gonna be under control.”One of the paramedics said, sitting me down in a room. “Since you were in the fire also i'm gonna take you blood pressure and check your heart.''She said, grabbing her stethoscope.Everything when silent.I started remembering things with her.When she was the “new girl on the 3rd floor.”How first met.Everything came rushing back as though nothing had changed.When my girlfriend had broken up with I've never felt so alone however, she was always there for me.She always held me, cared for me even when she was at her lowest even then I helped her as well.I’m really hoping she gets to live for tomorrow.I slowly start to dose of but I was trying to keep my eyes open just to see her.Anything for her.The medications they were giving me were too strong for me to handle.My eyes slowly shutting.Then it happened.I start to have this nightmare where it all came back.We fought before the fire broke out. I’ve never felt so guilty of letting her go.Were fighting about her leaving for college in canada.She asked if I wanted to come with her but I refused because I had everything here.Why would she leave?I’ve become the petty person I had become.In such rage I yelled at her.The last thing she told me was “I hope you realize that i'm not your girlfriend and if you don’t want me you can walk out of my life.”Then she left.My heart fell to my feet.I realized I've been trying to protect her but, instead harmed her.I know now that I can’t always protect her.She will always just be there to help me whenever i needed.God I love her, she doesn't know that.I get a knock on the door. “Hello sir good morning we're here to get your vitals.”A doctor walks in. “go ahead.”I said, giving her permission to take them. “How is she?”I said. “Whom are you talking about?”The doctor said looking at the monitor. “S-sage vermin?”I said. “Oh.. She’s going under surgery as we speak.”She said with a very disappointed face. “May I say why is she going into surgery?”I said worriedly.She looks away. “Her lung collapsed last night.”She said looking at her feet. “She lost a lot of blood.”She said looking at her feet. “Why the hell did you not inform me last night?!”I  said angrily, sitting up in my bed. “Sir we almost lost you in a coma last night.”She interrupted.I took a moment to realize what she said. “Alright sir the doctor will come in to see what the plan is when you're getting out of the hospital.”She said leaving the room.I heard someone come in after she left. “Hey Mr.Genesis we have some good news and some bad news which one would you like to hear?”He said looking through the clipboard. “The bad news.”I said ready to process knowing she's gonna not live to see tomorrow. “The bad news is that your gonna have to wait a week in the hospital after your coma. We couldn't release you knowing you almost died on us so we have to make sure everything it’s in place.”He said, turning to the next page. “Now the good news is since you wanted to know more about sages health.. Her surgery went well. There are some donors who donated some of their blood so the surgery went wonderful. She's recovering as we speak.”The huge relief was knowing she didn’t die in my hands.I knew she would fight through this. “Also the donors would love to see you.”The doctor said. “I would be honored to meet them.”I said with the biggest smile.Little did I know that soon that smile would disappear.

October 23, 2020 14:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Philip Ebuluofor
09:05 Oct 29, 2020

Who were they?.fine story.

Reply

Valentina Espino
16:55 Oct 29, 2020

they are lovers who haven't reveled their love for each other

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.