Summer in Boysenberry Falls: A Raspberry Family Story

Submitted into Contest #77 in response to: Write a story set in the summer, when suddenly it starts to snow.... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary Friendship Kids

Stella Raspberry-Rue braced herself for the sweltering heat that was waiting, ready to assault her, once she stepped outside of the temperature-controlled library.

This summer had been one for the history books- each day breaking the previous record for how hot it had been. Even biking the measly distance from her house to the library had left her sweating at nine in the morning. Two hours later, and Stella was dreading even the short distance to Mama Jean’s Cafe. At least next year she would have her driver’s license and she would be able to drive in an air-conditioned car on days like this.

“Best just do it.” Brad, her brother-in-law, said as he passed by with a cart of books to be put away.

Stella sighed but nodded. She hiked her backpack up into place and headed outside. But instead of blistering heat she was met with a blast of cold air.

White flurries blew across the parking lot.

It was snowing.

She couldn’t decide whether to groan or laugh. Either way, at least she was prepared. After all this was Boysenberry Falls and one could never predict what was going to happen next. She sat her backpack on the ground and untied the sweatshirt from around her waist. Her hair crackled with static as she pulled it on. On the bright side, she wouldn’t be stuck with a bad hair day. From a side-pocket she pulled out a thick wool cap that Mrs. Grant had packed last week…almost as if she had known. Stella shook her head. Mrs. Grant was many things but clairvoyant was not one of them. A least she didn’t think so.

A pair of gloves later and Stella was ready. She headed for the bike rack only to stop in her tracks as she spotted a boy around her age with his face turned upwards looking completely awed at the unexpected snow. He had to be a newbie.

From her backpack’s other side pocket, she pulled a second hat- it wasn’t as thick as hers, but it would suffice for the moment. “Hey kid,” Stella said, walking towards him. His wide eyes blinked slowly as he turned and looked at her. “Here.” She tossed him the hat, which he barely caught. “I had a spare.”

“It’s snowing.” He said like it was some rare event. Which to be honest snow in July in Boysenberry Falls was a bit outside of the norm even for them.

“It is.” She agreed.

“But it’s summer.” He protested.

Stella nodded in sympathy. Definitely a newbie. “Welcome to Boysenberry Falls. Home of the Weird and Unexpected.”

He snorted and pulled on the hat. “I don’t think that’s what it said on the welcome sign.”

“Ah yes, Boysenberry Falls: A Berry Nice Place.” Stella in a mock whisper said, “It’s for the tourists.”

“How do you know I’m not a tourist?”

“Most tourists don’t visit libraries on their vacations.” She pointed to the brick building behind her.

“I might have needed the internet.”

Stella lifted an eyebrow. Did he really think she was going to fall for that?

He laughed. “Okay, yeah. You got me. My family and I just moved here.” He looked back up at the gray sky. Snowflakes landed on his face. “This is crazy.”

“Actually, this is pretty normal and comparatively speaking, tame. One time Weather Front actually made it rain cats and dogs. The animal shelter had a field day.”

The boy stared at her as if she had grown a second head. “I think I misheard you.”

“You didn’t actually. But don’t worry, you’ll get used to it.”

“I don’t know if I find that comforting or not.”

Stella laughed. “Seriously, it’s okay. My Aunt Raz says that the people who find their way here are meant to be here so I’m sure you’ll be able to handle it.” She stuck out her hand. “I’m Stella Raspberry-Rue.”

“That’s quite the name.”

“And it’s not even my full one.”

He took her hand. “I’m Mark Bloom.” The wind whipped up around them and the flakes came down heavier. They both shivered. “We should really get out of this.”

“I was heading for Mama Jean’s Café to meet some of my friends. It’s only a couple of blocks. Do you want to come?”

Mark hesitated.

“She’ll be breaking out the hot chocolate and you have not had hot chocolate until you have had Mama Jean’s hot chocolate.” Stella said.

“Wouldn’t your friends mind though?”

“If they were here, they wouldn’t be giving you a chance to say no.”

“I’ll have to call my parents.”

“I’ll wait.” Stella said.

“Okay.” Mark pulled out a phone and made the call.

Stella did a little hop-dance to help stay warm. Snow was beginning to accumulate. If this weather kept up, the city would have to break out the snowplows. She wondered who was behind today’s abnormality. Weather Front was her first candidate but it could easily be one of Doctor X’s experiments gone wrong. Like that time he had tried to make jelly beans grow on trees but instead had given them life.

“My parents say its fine. They’ll pick me up in about a half-hour or so from there. The snow’s kind of freaking them out.”

“Everyone who comes here has a little freak out.” Stella remembered when her sister Liz had brought home her then boyfriend Brad- the poor guy had passed out during his Weird Introduction.

Mark started to undo his bike lock.

“I don’t think we’re going to be able to bike there in this weather. We’ll have to walk.” She rubbed her arms. “Quickly.”

“Will they be safe?”

“Only a fruitcake would steal them.” She replied as she started walking. Mark followed.

“Please tell me you don’t mean a real fruitcake.” She saw him brace himself for an answer in the affirmative. Part of her wanted to say yes, just to mess with him a little but that probably wasn’t a good idea right now.

“No, not real fruitcake. I’m talking about stupid, idiotic, foolish people. Because you would have to be all three of those to cross the library staff.”

Mark side-eyed her. “I thought they all seemed pretty nice.”

“Oh they are. And they can always find you the perfect book. I hope you signed up for the summer reading program because it is seriously awesome. But,” Stella warned. “You don’t want to get on their bad side.” She grimaced. “I’ve never seen it myself.” She was a responsible library user. “But I’ve heard things.”

“Stay on the librarians’ good side.” Mark said. “No problem.”

A zoooooshhhh sound overhead had them looking up. A silver blur flew overhead. “Huh.” Stella said. “I guess it is Weather Front.”

They stopped at the stop sign and checked both ways before crossing the street. “That’s the second time you’ve said Weather Front.”

“Oh, yeah. He’s probably the one behind the weather. But don’t worry Hero will be able to stop him soon enough.”

“You make it sound like he’s a supervillain or something.”

“Super might be pushing it. And his schemes are more inconvenient than anything but don’t tell him that- he’s very sensitive.”

Mark stared at her. “I think I must have slipped on something and hit my head because there is no way all of this is really happening.”

“My brother-in-law Brad says it’s a bit like being Alice going down the rabbit hole.”

Mark nodded still looking stunned.

“Just keep breathing.” Stella advised. To help distract him, she pointed to a white building with a blue door. “There’s the bakery. They have the best chocolate chip cookies and their donuts are to die for.” Her stomach rumbled as if sensing the baked goods but she ignored it. “And next to it are Madame’s Pet Café and Monsieur’s Groomers. They put on an animal parade practically every month.” She continued to point out businesses till they reached a building with a blue and white striped awning over the window door.

Stella stopped. “And this is Mama Jean’s.” She pushed open the café’s door. The bell jangled announcing them to the already full shop. Everyone had probably rushed inside the moment it had begun to snow. Mama Jean’s workers were busily setting up the hot chocolate dispensers while everyone else debated the cause of the current weather phenomenon.

“Stella! Over here!”

Stella dragged Mark over to the corner booth that had been claimed by her friends. “Scooch,” she ordered unnecessarily, seeing as they already were. She pushed Mark into the booth first and then sat down on his other side. “Everyone, Mark. Mark, everyone.”

“Hi.” Mark said, giving a little wave.

“Mark’s new.” Stella said, again unnecessarily. Her friends gave her a look. She smiled back brightly.

Maurice shook his head at her. He stretched his hand out across the table. “I’m Maurice.” He introduced himself. “Nice to meet you.”

Mark shook his hand and nodded.

“His grandparents own the pet café and groomers.” Stella said.

Maurice nodded. “Rosh is next to you.”

“My parents are the dentists in town.” Rosh said.

“And this is Chandra, Buck and William.” Maurice finished with the last three of the group. “They’re also Raspberries.”

William opened his mouth but Chandra cut him off. “Don’t you even dare.” She said.

“But it’s a good joke.”

“It’s a terrible joke.” Chandra snapped back. “And it’s old.”

The rest of the group nodded. Mark watched them all with wide eyes.

“But Mark hasn’t heard it.” William gestured towards him.

Chandra glared at William. He sighed and slouched against the back of the booth.

“So…Mark.” Rosh turned towards him. “Where did you meet Stella?”

“In front of the library. She loaned me a hat.” He pointed at his head.

“Yeah, you’re going to want to pack for all weather.” Maurice said. “Things can get a little strange in Boysenberry Falls.”

“So I’m learning.”

“When did you move here Mark?” Chandra asked.

“We arrived three days ago. My Dad got a job teaching science at the high school.”

Chandra’s eyes lit up. “Really? Do you think he’ll keep the science club going?”

Mark nodded. “Yeah. He was really excited about it. Apparently the school had a really good budget for it.”

“We do have an amazing budget.” Chandra agreed.

“How are you liking Boysenberry Falls so far?” Rosh asked before Chandra could start waxing poetical about science club and their past exploits even though they were amazing. Last year’s volcano project had blown everyone away (almost literally).

“It’s not what I expected.”

They all grinned. That pretty much summed up Boysenberry Falls.

“Hot chocolate is ready!” Mama Jean announced.

A cheer went up in the café. Mama Jean’s employees started carrying trays full of steaming mugs to tables and pulling cans of whipped cream from their aprons.

They all watched as Mark lifted the mug to his lips, and took a sip. His eyes widened. “Wow.”

“We know,” their whole table said.

Stella put a healthy dollop of whip cream in hers before taking her first taste of the famous drink since March. She smiled. Perfection.

For a few minutes the entire café was silent as everyone enjoyed Mama Jean’s secret hot chocolate recipe. Stella did her best to relish each sip since it probably wouldn’t be served again till December.

Rosh sighed as she sat her mug on the table. “You’re plotting again.”

Everyone focused on Maurice, the head plotter. “I was just thinking.”

William and Buck gave him a look.

“It’s a good idea.” He said, defending himself.

“Let him say it.” Stella said. They could always veto the idea afterwards.

“Two words.” He said. “The second one is fight.”

Buck’s fingers came down like little snowflakes and then he made a circle with his hands, the finger and thumb tips touching.

Rosh grinned. “I second this plan.”

Mark looked at Stella questioningly.

“Buck says snowball.”

Mark nodded. “Snowball fight? I’m game.”

“Me too.” Stella said. Snowball fight in July? Who wouldn’t?

They all finished their hot chocolate and slid out of their booth. Chandra covered their tab while Rosh pulled a spare pair of gloves out of her bag and gave them to Mark. The group filed outside with Mark and Stella at the back.

“Was Buck reading our lips?” Mark asked. “Since, you know, you all weren’t signing?”

Stella shook her head. “Mark’s not deaf. He just can’t speak.”

Mark bit his lip. “Can I ask…” He trailed off, looking nervous. Stella smiled at him, letting him know it was okay. He took a breath. “Why can’t he speak?”

“We don’t know.” Stella said. “Scratch that. William knows but he’s not telling and Buck’s definitely not saying anything. Aunt Raz says when it comes to this sort of thing, you’ve just got to accept it.”

“That’s a good attitude to have.”

“Yeah. William says it will all make sense one day.” She wrinkled her nose. “Sometimes I really hate time travel.”

“Yeah…” Mark agreed. “Wait? What? Stella!” He called after her as she opened the door. She ducked as a snowball flew towards her. Mark grunted as it hit him on his shoulder.

“Come on slowpokes!” Maurice yelled.

Stella scooped up snow and started packing it together, making a nice thick ball. She launched it back at Maurice who laughed and ducked.

A second snowball, however, didn’t miss. Maurice looked at Mark in shock. He, in turn, looked innocent with his hands behind his back and wide eyes that were declaring he was not the one responsible even though he totally was.

Stella laughed until a snowball hit her.

Then it was war.

Today would go in the record books. But as snowballs flew in every direction, Stella knew that she would remember this day not only because of the snow but because she had met Mark. Both unexpected. But then again, this was Boysenberry Falls whose town motto should definitely be changed to be “Where you need to expect the unexpected.”

Maybe tomorrow she would start a petition.

January 23, 2021 01:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.