0 comments

Drama Fantasy Fiction

(This story is set in earth’s twin planet GAIA2 which is 800 years younger and is evolving.)

He is a hermit. It was his 70th birthday and he sat recalling a significant event of his past which happened 20 years ago:

‘Far in a wild, unknown to public view/From youth to age a reverend hermit grew;/The moss his bed, the cave his humble cell,/His food the fruits, his drink the crystal well:/Remote from man, with God he pass'd the days,/Prayer all his business, all his pleasure praise./' That introduction can’t be put better than by that poet*. That is the hermit named Monk. He would help the needy, the sick, the aged besides others who needed his help. He lived on alms.

It so happened he went to the house of a loose character named Harlot. She donated grains for cooking food and said “Why do you live like a beggar when you can live a life like others, get married and produce children, get a chance to enjoy women like those with me? Live a comfortable life.”

Her talk only brought silence on the part of Monk. After some thought, he said “It’s the way I’ve trained myself to face life. Please don’t preach to me.” Harlot got very angry and resolved to take vengeance on Monk.

Monk would go round in his native costume of pareyou with a cloth on his shoulder to receive grains donated in charity. People would be generous and donate a whole lot more than what he needed. That hot, summer morning, Monk was sweating and was very thirsty. He was near Harlot’s house and sought a cup of water from her. Harlot went in and returned with a jug full of water. She poured some into his cupped palms which he drank. He said “Thank you lady. I appreciate your kindness.”

 She said “I’ve said you’re living the wrong life. Why go round like a beggar expecting others to help you?”

Monk was silent and retreated to his cave. In a short while it grew very hot and he felt a strange exhilaration in his body. He asked himself “Why not live like others?”

 He dropped the cloth which was his begging bowl and walked randomly. One passer-by said “Monk, very strange to see you on the road at this hour.”

Monk said “Yes. I’ve wasted time. I want to make up for lost time.”

“I’m surprised. I live nearby. When I fell down while carrying a bag of grain to my home you helped me up. You carried the bag to my house. Now you’re talking in a strange way.”

Monk didn’t answer and went past and squatted in a street corner when his barber who was passing by asked “Monk what’s the problem? Why are sitting on the road? Only yesterday I gave you a shave and you gave me grain much more than the job deserved. Now you appear strange.”

Monk said “Yes. I’ve to make up for lost time.”

“Yesterday you spoke to me in a friendly way. Today you’re behaving like a stranger. I don’t understand you.”

Monk shrugged and the barber went his way. Monk then got up and walking on stopped to rest under a tree as it was very hot.

A beggar who was passing by said “Master where is your cloth to receive grain? You seem to be seated despondent.”

“Yes. I’m making up for lost time misspent helping people like you.”

“I’m surprised. You have helped me many times with grains when I didn’t receive charity. You know I’ve been forced to beg since I was born with one leg short. Now you’re behaving strangely.”

Monk didn’t answer and the beggar limped his way slowly on the road. An old woman seeing Monk seated on the road ran to him and asked “Why aren’t you in your cell at this hour? You’re exposing yourself to this midday heat.”

“Mother, a day comes when one rues a wasted life – a life like mine.”

“You rescued my husband when he fell into the well. People here know how you’ve helped several selflessly. You’ve nothing to rue in life.”

“Mother please go your way. Leave me to my fate.”

“Very strange and uncharacteristic behaviour! I never expected it of you.”

An ex-bandit was passing that way and seeing Monk on the road asked “Monk, why are you here in this heat?”

“Please pass. I’ve to fulfil my destiny.”

“It was you who put me in the right path. You got me a job with the ferry operator. I can’t thank you enough for it. I would do anything for you. And here you’re talking strangely. What has come over you?”

“Leave me be.”

After a while Monk got up and found his way to Harlot’s house. When she showed up he said “I’m giving up my life as a hermit. Here I’ll be throwing away my status as one who had nothing to do with women in the prime. Allow me in so that I may choose one of your women.”

She asked “Have you the money for it. They’re expensive.”

“I’ve no money.”

She said “Then go your way. I’ve beautiful women but they are expensive and a hermit can’t afford them.”

He said “Say ex-hermit.” He paused and said “I’ve changed.”

“You can’t do it. Fall into a well. May be you’ll be reborn a rich man.”

Monk sat outside Harlot’s house and shed tears. He said “I don’t know what came over me. I don’t know what happened to me. People will laugh at me.”

Harlot kept staring at Monk and then had a sudden change of heart. She said “Monk, it was I who gave you water laced with a philtre. You felt the effects. Your reputation is gone. I’m happy.”

Monk said “I won’t expose your doings. I’ll go back to my nomadic life. The effects of the philtre are wearing thin and I’m getting back to normal. I won’t seek favours from a sinner like you. I’ll get back to my life as a hermit.”

Suddenly Harlot went towards Monk and touching his feet said “Forgive me. I was jealous of your simple life. I’ll confess what I had done. I’ll tell people that I had plied you with the philtre. Take me as one of your followers.”

His reminiscing was over. His birthday was being celebrated with a large number of followers flocking outside his cave to thank him for his good deeds and to wish him a long life. He will now go out to thank them.

END

NOTE: The lines quoted are the opening lines of the poem THE HERMIT by Thomas Parnell.

*


June 20, 2021 03:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.