0 comments

Black Suspense Fiction

"Isn't pain strange? No one feels it for you yet everyone dictates how you should react. ‘I know you must be hurt but please don’t cry, 'of course, it's painful being betrayed like that, but please cheer up, 'I can’t imagine what you’re going through however it’ll be best if you move on. But. This must be the most insensitive word, pretending to care yet only eager to give out their opinion. In simpler terms, someone might say 'yeah yeah, we heard you blah blah now hear what I instruct on how you should react to this particular feeling I have no idea about. Instead of but, one should just say this, it'll make more sense" Akosua concluded her funny sound impressions before subtly sipping her tea. Maybe I was eventually running crazy after staying in the asylum for so long, for Akosua made sense. They had been best friends ever since she arrived at “ Mirembe asylum "; staying with her for weeks made her wonder if people who stayed in this place were crazy at all.

"What about you Elizabeth, what made them say you are pwuuush?” she asked throwing her hands in the air. Although tempted, She wasn’t about to share with her the whole story; her lawyer warned me not to. 

"I killed my husband” She replied after what felt like an eternity.

 “Cheating?”  

This was the first person who hadn’t cringed when she said that, the first who wasn’t bothered by the act, rather the reason, the first who hadn’t given her options of what would’ve had been a 'better reaction'.

 “Yes, with my sister!“ Elizabeth forced a smile shaking my head hoping the memory would go away.

. “Wow, congrats girl you have that self-control my psychologist is always talking about, I wouldn’t be having a sibling now if I were you” Akosua answered nonchalantly.

 "Well, one problem at a time,” Elizabeth winked which made me earn a bright smile from Akosua. 

 Akosua was beautiful, one of the few who could pull off that ugly white gown from the centre, she was a bit light-skinned, a common skin tone among the people from Northern Tanzania; the unkempt dreadlocks weren't a disadvantage either unlike Elizabeth who her southern tribe couldn't be represented better.  Some of the nurses blushed when she smiled at them which was very unprofessional and disturbing on so many levels. Couldn't they get a grip! Maybe she was overreacting to this whole thing but they were all disgusting, she couldn't say anything however because Akosua seemed to have fun with all the attention.

It was hard to believe this was the same woman who killed her whole family, buried them in her backyard and even grew a very beautiful garden on top of their graves. After she heard that, she never asked about the full story. It was true however, you can never know what goes on in someone's mind.

That was the only difference between Akosua and her, she felt wronged.

“I think the punishment should be decided by the wronged one; if I feel my husband fornication and breaking of a vow we made in the church should be punished by death, executed by myself so be it “.

 She spoke one time during lunch, she had an uncommon way of thinking, yet Akosua made perfect sense. On the other hand, the asylum was an escape route for Elizabeth. 

“Why Akosua?” 

Elizabeth asked eagerly to change the subject, from the look of her face she didn’t understand the question, she must have felt being judged. 

" I meant your name, it's strange, which tribe is that?”

 “ Anhaa", her eyes lit up realising the intent. 

"It's from a Twi tribe”

 “Do we have a tribe like that in Tanzania?" 

 “We don’t, it's from Ghana, a name for a girl born on Sunday” 

“Why would your parents name you after a Ghanaian tribe?"

 Akosua raised one of her eyebrows. Had she said something wrong? 

“Excuse my manners, you must be the queen of England herself” she stood up and faked a bow. Elizabeth let out a loud laugh, she didn’t know she had it in her to laugh again. 

“ You are crazy!”

 “ Doctors already confirmed that”

where had she been all her life?

“Elizabeth, wake up I have an idea” her voice echoed all over the ward

.” Akosua can't it wait till morning?" Elizabeth felt flustered it must be past midnight

”No it can't, we have to escape from this hell hole” 

"Ok let’s go”

 “Not now dummy, in few weeks I have a plan!"

 "So how could this not wait till morning?” 

“ Oh yeah, I guess it could, although technically three a.m is morning." Akosua smiled awkwardly.

 Elizabeth tried going back to sleep, though she couldn’t, it was with no doubt she was tired of this place, she would do anything to get out here but still... What if it meant letting someone as dangerous as Akosua to the world? What if she kills the judge and his family as she promised? Although she often mocked Dr Mushi, he was right. Akosua was out of control. Good thing she will be out here soon, maybe before the escape and she shouldn't bother.           She would leave an anonymous tip warning the staff on the escape before Akosua leaves. Her brother will come tomorrow, only God knew how she missed him. She fell asleep thinking how it would be hugging her mom and the rest of the family once again, it was already three months in this low budget jehanum. If she didn't leave this place soon, she was going to go crazy for real.

At 10 a.m she was already waiting very close to the gate for her brother to arrive. This made her earn a stern eye from the gateman. The last time she waited for anyone was ages ago, during boarding school. You know how you miss home extra when you are away from it. Only soldiers, boarding school students and in this case people locked away in asylums knew how it felt

. "Earth to Eliza” a familiar chirpy voice sent chills down her spine."

Hello, Akosua”,

 “Don’t bother it doesn't work, I tried it a billion times ” 

" Huh?” 

"You are trying to move that gate with your mind right?”. 

One thing was true, Akosua knew how to light up the mood. She smiled and rose to a seat close by. 

“I missed you Elizabeth"

 Akosua shouldered her into a hug, as she disposed of the tablets in her pocket. They had vowed never to take them since they came to this place. All she had to do was pretend to swallow them then collect them to Akosua later. She knew where to dispose of them, Eliza never asked where. Akosua was right, ever since she stopped taking the tablets. She has been feeling better and more of herself.

 From that elevated spot they could view everyone at the hospital; some were playing with the swings, others were running around while the rest moved like bored zombies. If sin is the only conscience did that mean everyone in this place is innocent not only in front of a jury but to God? 'Yes, all except you' the inner voice she had grown to hate responded.  

“There is a call for you, it's your brother”

 a nurse came holding a phone. She ran to her, grabbed it from her hands and listened to the other end.

” Kaka, hello”

 "Hello Liz, I'm sorry I couldn't make it today”

 "When are you coming?”

 " I'm out of town for now and I don’t think I will be there for a while."

"Well, how about my release when are you guys coming to get me?”

 " I'm sorry sis you'll have to say there longer"

 " What do you mean longer?"

 "It’s the doctor's recommendation, the lawyer suggests it too until a few years…..’’ her mind couldn’t process the rest of the stuff he said.

 " What about mama, what does she say?"

 " If I'm being honest with you she is scared too, remember the things you said before you left? About coming back to kill Magdalene?" 

"But that was for an act remember", her brother muttered 'I'm sorry' before hanging up. She had an urge to scream, even better kill something. At home when she felt like this she normally went hunting with her dad. Ever since he died and they moved to the city she had to settle with killing neighbour's cats and dogs. She found  Akosua looking angrier

“ What is it Hulk?” 

"This garden is crappy, the grass is uneven the flowers haven’t been watered for days, it's giving me goosebumps, considering this is the reception, don't get me started on the ones behind the ward. How can someone be this sensitive on flowers yet easily..... 'And you are the one to talk'

“About what I was telling you yesterday I'm thinking of letting everyone else in this place free” we deserve to be out of there if they have a problem with us, maybe they should be the one in here, away from us” her eyes were serious, in a terrifying way.

” So Elizabeth are you with me in this?"

 If she asked her this last night, her answer would've been no, but not now. She needed to get out there and be with her family and if they had a problem cohabiting; then like Fred her late husband they didn't deserve to live. " A hundred per cent" they both smiled as they shook hands to the new truce. It was finally about time.

August 02, 2021 22:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.