139 comments

Funny Contemporary

It’s my birthday today – The Big 3-0! – and all I want to do is stay in my cozy room and have someone bring me milkshakes all day… but the sun is out, my alarm’s going off, and it’s time to get to the office, I suppose. 


At least there's something to look forward to: a few friends are dropping by to have a little celebration in my honor after work tonight. Note to self: need to pick up some booze and apps!


As I don my favorite white outfit in the early morning chill, I wonder how it is that Covid somehow gave everyone but me a pass on having to physically appear at work. Unfair! But it’s not going to spoil my day, not today of all days. You only turn 30 once – though, as I check out myself in the mirror, I feel like maybe I’ll be lying about it for the next 5 or more years… lookin’ good, there, you gorgeous creature!


As I dump a pot of water into the coffeemaker, only now does it occur to me that I had already done that last night, to save myself some time. Fantastic. Note to self: need to also pick up some more Swiffer mop pad replacements later on.


No biggie; I’ll just be treating myself to a coffee and breakfast on-the-go today, it would appear. Hey, it’s my birthday, so I should have thought of that, anyway! I grab a white jacket from the front closet and head out, sharply dressed and ready to welcome the adventures of the day! 


White’s my favorite color, so it comes as a sad surprise when the drive-through coffee and McMuffin end up in an impressionist design all down the front of my outfit and across the interior of the car after I manage to rear-end someone at a light. It was my fault, absolutely no denying it, but the guy doesn’t have to be this big a jerk about it. I’m already covered in breakfast, for goodness’ sake, no need to rub it in.


Finally I’m on my way again. My perception of the day has dimmed slightly, until I realize I still have the party to look forward to, and things balance out again. True, they balance out with probably several hundred fewer dollars in my checking account after I meet my deductible, but hey, that’s what insurance is for, right? 


I arrive at the office only slightly late by 30 minutes, and I’m horrified to my core when Mr. Jansen’s secretary tells me that the meeting had to start without me. Oh no! NO! How could I have forgotten that the pitch was first thing this morning?! Crap crap crap!! 


Do I go in, causing an interruption during potentially delicate negotiations? Do I stay out and hope for the best, that they won’t need my particular design expertise to answer any questions?


The fact that I’m covered in breakfast sways me towards the latter, and I slink into my office. My stomach is churning, but, look, accidents happen… and if I had spent any more time exchanging information with that guy in traffic, I wouldn’t even be in yet, so what’s the difference? At least nobody was hurt, and that’s the important part, right?!


I spend a few minutes logging in and straightening various papers on my desk. I do not feel good about this situation, despite my attempt to brush it off, so I pop a couple of tranquilizer pills I keep around for emergency purposes, and I’m feeling better in no time.


My ears finally catch the sound of the conference room door opening and the client being led out. I peer down the hall and Mr. Jansen pops around the corner, beckoning with a two-fingered come-hither. Oh boy.


My car still smells like coffee and McMuffin, I notice, getting into it 30 minutes later. I just need to sit here and breathe for a moment to decompress, but the smell of floor breakfast is not at all relaxing. Note to self: switch to lavender-based drinks.


You know what? I wasn’t in love with that job, anyway. Too regimented, if they can’t even handle a few tardies, and who wants to go into the office anymore? I will find something better, I just know it. I place my box of personal belongings on the passenger floorboard and head out.


Ah, home sweet home, I think, pulling into the driveway. You know what? I should have taken today off, in the first place! I mean, you only turn 30 once – what was I thinking? I could have had the whole day to myself. And look! I have the whole day to myself anyway, so that worked out. Awesome!


Grabbing my box of personal effects, I end up spending the next few minutes gathering them by hand after the soggy bottom falls out. Some of them have soaked up some of the coffee now, anyway, and I suddenly realize I that still need to get to the store, so I just leave them where they are and head out.


The trip to the store and back goes surprisingly well. I’ve found a nice assortment of wine and some microwavable appetizers, plus a small decorated cake. It’s carrying them into the kitchen, and running right into the patch of water from this morning’s coffee pot fiasco, that is the trouble. I forgot to get Swiffer pads, too, I think, lying in a bit of a daze from smacking my head on the linoleum. 


Cake is everywhere, but fortunately the bottles of wine and appetizers are intact. I can salvage this. I have roughly 4 hours until everyone gets here, plenty of time to clean. Thank God I had tranquilizers earlier, because this is a time that is trying my soul, to borrow a phrase.


Leaving the cake on the floor to clean up later, I put the appetizers in the fridge and decide what I need is a shower, a change of clothes, and maybe one of those bottles of wine. I just need to relax a little bit, and this will all be better.


Halfway through the wine a bit later, I realize just how wonderfully cozy the sofa is. Remember pillow forts, when we were kids? That was always so much fun, I think, draining the last of the bottle of wine and setting to work.


In no time at all, I have a pretty sweet pillow fort. It’s so dark and nicely comforting in here, no wonder we loved these as kids. I crawl out and grab another bottle of wine, belly-crawling back from the kitchen just like they do in old war movies: this day has certainly felt like a war, so it seems appropriate...


As I squeeze back into my fort, I realize that I just managed to smear cake detritus all over my latest outfit (and the carpet), and it makes me laugh. In fact, I am laughing so hard that I can barely drink any wine. I am sort of laugh-crying at this point and feeling pretty maudlin… but mostly laughing, because what the heck. This has possibly been the worst day ever.


I start to wonder if I’m losing my mind, as I cannot seem to stop laughing... but I'm surprisingly relaxed about it.


Maybe I will just stay here in my fort. It’s my birthday, and if I wanna laugh/cry/drink under a bunch of sofa pillows while wearing a cake-encrusted jog suit, who’s to stop me?! 



Some time later, I come to and realize that it’s almost time for the party, which my brain nearly fogged away. I exit my hut to stagger over and throw some appetizers in the microwave; while I somehow manage to avoid the water and cake all over the floor, all of the water on the counter from this morning has apparently shorted out the microwave.


Fortunately, the oven still works, but there are no directions on the box for the oven. This day is exhausting. I remember reading once that you can bake just about any casserole at 350 for an hour, so that sounds right, yeah? I throw the food in and return to my nest. This has worn me out, and I just want some more wine and the dark comfort of my little pillow cave.



I come to again, hearing voices outside my home-within-a-home. Someone lifts the roof tile, and I snatch it down again. How dare they invade the sanctity of my space! I hiss, which makes me giggle, because that was totally on accident and felt completely natural. lol! I hiss a bit more, and it makes me laugh even harder.


I realize, in the dim recesses of my consciousness, that I can smell smoke, and the voices outside seem a little sharp and excitedly elevated. I lay back down, clutching my nearly-empty bottle. Oops, swig: make that my completely empty bottle. 


Maybe if I just lay here, they’ll go away. These are my friends: I’m sure they’ll understand.


Someone lifts a roof tile again, wtf. I blearily squint at them in anger, then in wider-eyed surprise, as I realize it’s not anyone I know at all. It’s some guy in a … hrmmm, suit. I can’t recall the name of it. Whatever, guy, if you want that roof tile it’s all yours, I’ll just nestle back a little further out of the light. I scooch back, too tired to hiss this time.


It gets brighter: dangit, they are taking out the fort! “Visigoths!” I try to scream at them but end up slurring nonsense. 


Apropos of nothing, the lyrics to "Don't Bring Me Down" suddenly occur to me, and I decide to slur those instead (though, in my head they sound perfect: "I'll tell you once more, before I get off the floor: Don't Bring Me Down!") hahahaha wheeeee!


...


The whole rest of the day is a blur, really, but it all worked out: I’m in a nice, cozy, all-white room – it’s even a bit larger than my fort, so I have plenty of space to roll around! – and they even gave me a lovely white form-fitting outfit to wear.


Best of all, they bring me milkshakes several times a day. It’s perfect: why didn’t I think of this before?! Happy birthday to me! Note to self: do this again next year for The Big 3-0!

March 04, 2023 19:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

139 comments

Michelle Oliver
23:17 Mar 04, 2023

This is great Wendy. So relatable. There are definitely days that just keep hitting you in the face and you think, I should just have stayed in bed today. Lesson to all, don’t mix drink and tranqilizers! Don’t leave spilled water on the floor, don’t try eating and driving while wearing white. This list goes on. Your poor MC, I feel for her. I was amazed by her determined positivity throughout. Such a great read that has me laughing out loud!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
23:25 Mar 04, 2023

I like to think the people who keep that high level of positivity have GOT to be crazy! Come on, let it out a bit! lol :) Thanks so much, Michelle - I really got a kick out of your review, and appreciate you taking the time to read and leave it. :)

Reply

Michelle Oliver
00:12 Mar 05, 2023

They must either crazy or highly medicated! If so, in the spirit of When Harry Met Sally, “I’ll have what she’s having.”

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
00:13 Mar 05, 2023

lol! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
16:25 Mar 06, 2023

Ha,ha,ha,ha... can't stop laughing! And you spit this out so fast this week it is almost like you lived it! Side note, my first story from two weeks ago was just approved this week.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
21:29 Mar 06, 2023

Thank you, Mary! I will check yours out. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
07:06 Mar 06, 2023

As someone who's turning 30 next year, I got a lot of fun birthday ideas from reading this. Now whether any of those ideas actually happen, we'll see in eleven months. I'll keep you posted. On a serious note, though, this was quite fun. A total comedy of errors. One of those stories where you think "Things can't get much worse, can they?" and the answer is always "Yes, they can." The padded cell and straitjacket at the end were the icing on the cake (no pun intended). I thought maybe the house was going to burn down when the 350 oven casser...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
14:07 Mar 06, 2023

Thank you so much, Zack - your review really put a smile on my face, and I so appreciate you taking the time to leave it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
01:08 Mar 05, 2023

This so reminds me of the story my children used to love. The title was something like “my no good, horrible, terrible very bad day”. And boy did your 30-year-old ever have that! Of course, as so many of us have done, and regretted in the past, trying to get over it by drinking sure didn’t help! Well I don’t think you could have thought of too many more things to go wrong for your heroine, Wendy. Thanks for the chuckles. And I sure could relate to that coffee all over her in the car. Ashamed to admit that’s happened to me more than once. A ...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
01:18 Mar 05, 2023

hehe Same here, Viga! Hopefully I didn't just give fate a few ideas... my life's going pretty well right now...! *grin* Thanks so much, as always, for taking the time to read and comment on my stories. :) Hope your weekend is going well!

Reply

Viga Boland
03:28 Mar 05, 2023

With a blizzard here yesterday, half of day was spent digging out! Thank heaven sun came out with the snow ploughs and roads are walkable and driveable again. Spent rest of time reading cat stories and commenting and just spent 2 hours watching movie “News of the World” . Now time to get back into latest book I’m reviewing. And every so often thinking about what I could write, if anything, on the prompt you chose. Perfect for a funny piece if I could think of something…but I don’t write fiction 🤬

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
03:38 Mar 05, 2023

Oh yeah, you kind of alluded to that in your own story! I personally think fiction is a lot harder than nonfiction (which I also prefer!), but I'm just about out of things that really happened in my life, haha. :) Great to hear the sun and plows are clearing things up!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
14:40 Mar 06, 2023

This poor woman, celebrating a birthday that goes entirely the wrong way and ultimately getting thrown into a padded cell because of it. Reading Visigoths! made me laugh and mentally hearing the melody of "Don't Bring Me Down" shortly thereafter brought a tear to my eye. Very nice roller coaster ride.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
14:47 Mar 06, 2023

Thanks so much, Mike! And welcome back! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
13:46 Mar 06, 2023

A lot of fun to read. "I’m already covered in breakfast, for goodness’ sake, no need to rub it in." Ha! And yelling, "Visigoths" was laugh out loud. Good job making a frustrating day into an amusing day. Solid resolution as well which takes us from her previously stated preference for white into the white room.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
15:43 Mar 06, 2023

Much appreciated, both for taking the time to read and for the lovely and encouraging comment, Laurel! I really appreciate it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keith Maynard Jr
11:04 Mar 06, 2023

I liked it, great tale as usual. Your first use of '30 once' fails for me. 30 once though feels more natural than 30 once - though. In light of the actuals prompt though I will say, it fails for me. Ultimately none of the incidents feel like it was the universe again the protagonist. The car accident is the clearest example of this for me, since it would have felt different if the other person had run into them and they determined to have a good day forgave them and went on to work. With the meeting at work, if it was something that wasn...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
14:10 Mar 06, 2023

Thanks for your comments!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
BRUCE MARTIN
05:31 Mar 06, 2023

Hysterical!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
05:36 Mar 06, 2023

Thanks, Bruce! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
03:35 Mar 06, 2023

this was hysterical... although I'm not sure what happened at the end...? oh, the bad days. *head shake*

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
03:38 Mar 06, 2023

She was institutionalized lol. :) Thanks, Lilah, appreciate your reading and encouraging comments, as always! :)

Reply

Irene Duchess
04:05 Mar 06, 2023

ohhh.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
08:09 Mar 05, 2023

Absolutely hilarious, delightful, and tragic. The unbreakable MC has broken! Were you channeling Lemony Snicket when you wrote this? Through all of the mini-disasters, the MC works to retain her positivity - with the aid of some tranquilizers and wine. I am alternately horrified at her decisions and applauding them. The story is so appealing because we've all had days that smack us in the face; we empathize because we've been there. The last two paragraphs were fantastic, Wendy. The poor woman seems to be under psyche eval, but she's happ...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
17:36 Mar 05, 2023

I have never seen Lemony Snicket, but now it sounds like maybe I should! Thank you, Del, you really made my morning with this lovely commentary - truly appreciated! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charles Haynes
19:55 Mar 11, 2023

Wow! What a day! Maybe it's a nightmare! Maybe she'll wake up yet! Interesting read.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
19:58 Mar 11, 2023

Thanks, Charles!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
10:54 Mar 08, 2023

“I’m already covered in breakfast, for goodness’ sake, no need to rub it in.” my mind took this literally for a moment and I was picturing an angry man rubbing spilled food into a woman’s clothes. Trading vehicle damage for sexual assault. “if I wanna laugh/cry/drink under a bunch of sofa pillows while wearing a cake-encrusted jog suit, who’s to stop me?” Reminds me of Troy and Abed. https://youtu.be/dFhCmknCpIY https://youtu.be/ZAB-u42SYWU How many times has she turned 30? Why is her favourite colour white, should we be worried about that?

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
14:59 Mar 08, 2023

This is her first 30, as far as we know. :P Those links definitely gave me a laugh - very creative satire - thanks for sharing! :)

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:34 Mar 08, 2023

If you’ve never watched Community, then I highly recommend it. My favourite comedy of all time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
11:49 Apr 05, 2023

Hey Wendy! Where have you disappeared to?

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
14:02 Apr 05, 2023

Hi, Viga! I am doing that writing course and it's taking all the time I normally would have to dedicate to Reedsy... plus I started moderating a couple of forums on Reddit, so my spare time has vanished for now. Hope you are doing well! :)

Reply

Viga Boland
15:27 Apr 05, 2023

Oh interesting. I didn’t know about the writing course. You need one? I never would have thought that. Or is it more for exploring your full potential? And moderating forums on Reddit yet? Well your fans here are going to miss you. Hope it’s only temporary 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:13 Mar 31, 2023

Someone who is so incredibly positive about everything, they fail to warn themselves about the obvious trail of destruction they have created that will land them on their bum later. And with a befuddled brain due to tranquilizers and alcohol, so predictable. They will wake up thoroughly depressed with a headache. In the meantime, a very funny read. LOL. I can't find anywhere where he/she (probably a she with a fave. color to wear being white) actually mentioned losing even a degree of patience with the universe. Though concealing oneself in ...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Nice slapstick comedy, Wendy! This made me laugh out loud, as one thing after another goes wrong. Undying optimism leads to overindulgence, which ends the day with still more optimism. She was indeed tenacious!

Reply

Show 0 replies
E. B. Bullet
18:12 Mar 26, 2023

This was a complete chaos oh my God LOL. Once she got fired I lost it, and knew things were just going to blow up. And they kind of did, didn't they? The absurdity of her being put in a straight jacket really sells this as something more comedic than tragic, which is very important. You nailed the tone for this! Also the way her narrating style just derailed at the end was the cherry on top, haha. Super fun read! Hope I never have a day like this... I won't be nearly as optimistic

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
02:46 Mar 27, 2023

Thanks so much, E.B.! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
04:23 Mar 23, 2023

'All I want to do is stay in my cozy room and have someone bring me milkshakes all day…' (that's the dream!) This is so funny! Had me longing for the days of a good living room fort, although, I can't remember sipping wine in one. Now I feel like I missed out. It was amazing how your MC continued to view every bad turn in a positive light, including when she was in a straightjacket. Such fun this one!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
22:27 Mar 23, 2023

Thanks very much, Wally! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
22:46 Mar 21, 2023

Thanks for liking my submission to this week’s prompt, “SPeak Now.” I’m looking forward to seeing what you will have for us and which prompt you will choose. Just noticed Lily’s already submitted two for two different prompts. How do folks churn them out so quickly? It’s only Tuesday! Oh well, I can only afford ($$) one a week, so what I wrote will have to do. Thanks for reading it. Off to read Lily’s now.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
00:45 Mar 22, 2023

Hi, Viga! Well, sometimes, I just have a story I wrote or already wanted to write, and I craft it to a prompt. That could be part of the explanation as to how some people churn them out quickly, as I know I've done that, too. :D I don't think I will have one this week. I wrote one but it was a little more dark than light, and I just wasn't happy with it. There'll be other weeks! Good luck with yours this week!

Reply

Viga Boland
03:13 Mar 22, 2023

Re my story…I don’t know why I entered it into the contest itself. My stories are uncomplicated, enjoyable little escapes. Most writers here are into much deeper writing and from what I’ve seen since I began submitting about 6 weeks ago, that’s what judges are looking for. I did a free submission a few prompts ago to test the system. I can see that free submissions don’t get the readership or comments as they don’t get read once approvals start being listed. Even if one searches categories, eg. “Funny”, the free submissions are buried deep...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Chris Campbell
05:20 Mar 21, 2023

Wendy, Very well written. The perils of over-indulgence. I once knew someone that almost burnt down a friend's house while cooking sausages while he was sauced. He passed out drunk, but luckily, his friend came home just in time to prevent disaster. On another occasion, he was driving under the influence, when he crashed into a police car in the middle of a traffic stop. Instead of exhibiting any regret, his drunken state berated the cops by saying, "It was a stupid place for them to park." So, there is humour in alcohol-fueled mishaps;...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
14:22 Mar 21, 2023

Oh wow, thanks, Chris! I will definitely check that story out - I agree with you that it's sort of impressive that we've survived despite ourselves, so we've got that going for us! :D Thanks so much for the lovely review, and "It was a stupid place for them to park." is objectively hilarious as a reaction to that situation. I don't know how the cops kept a straight face.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
02:49 Mar 20, 2023

Was the name from the band Tenacious D?

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
13:27 Mar 20, 2023

Yeah. :)

Reply

Graham Kinross
14:00 Mar 20, 2023

Favourite song? Couldn’t remember the greatest song in the world, no. This is a tribute…

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
14:17 Mar 20, 2023

F Her Gently, because it makes me laugh so hard every time I hear it. :P

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:54 Mar 20, 2023

Don’t censor yourself. That’s not the title!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
04:09 Mar 21, 2023

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.