1 comment

Inspirational Fantasy Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of suicide or self harm.

The angel materialized into a physical body as he left the higher spiritual planes and crossed into the lower astral ones. His energy came to match the vibrating frequency of the material worlds. Transitioning to the lower planes was a rough experience; material bodies were heavy and slow—such bodies were cut off from the celestial energies and their spiritual forces. The angel had landed as close to his target as he could. The demon he was after was cloaking his presence like a master. His target was an exceptionally prestigious fallen angel. It was rare that the angel ever deployed by himself. He usually trained new angelic warriors, guiding them as they got their first taste of experience on the front lines of the spiritual war that had raged across Earth for tens of millennia. 


He tapped into the pulsing celestial force that faintly permeated through Earth and the lower astral planes it was inhabiting. Earth was a lost planet wedged between the lowest spiritual realms of creation. The celestial forces barely reached these material worlds, where the very boundaries of existence lay. That’s why the fallen ones had fled to this level of God’s domain, where their influence was able to grow rampant. The angel dismissed his wings and absorbed their heavenly power. His angelic wings broke into light particles that joined with the rest of the reserve power residing within him. The angel knew he didn’t have long before he was forced back into his celestial form—made to recover his spent energy in a higher spiritual plane. The angel cut himself off from Earth’s spiritual force and headed towards his long-lost brother. An ancient one who had fallen long ago.


*************


The demon beamed a smile of pure evil that could only be felt by celestial beings. It wasn’t a physical smile but one that emanated directly from the essence of the demon’s infernal life force. His laugh was wicked and took the form of dark energy shooting out in waves that rippled forth. It dissolved the weaker heavenly energy in its path. The celestial energy was only dissipated for a split second, then winked itself back into existence as if nothing had happened. Divine force could not be ridden from the fabric of creation. Black energy oozed from the demon’s mouth and slithered through the air and towards the girl before him. The demon’s power was dark, nasty, and the demon craved more of it with every passing second. The energy had a will of its own. His energy penetrated through the subconscious barriers of the girl’s mind and became a part of the mass that had long been festering, rooted deep within the dark confines of the girl’s self-made prison of pity—a prison that controlled the memories of her past and the dreams of her future.


The demon smiled as the angel entered the room. His laugh was so deep and rich that all the celestial power in the atmosphere dissipated within a mile of their location. “Hello, brother, it’s been a while,” the demon said with a satisfying grin that rippled through the angel’s spiritual energy.


The demon’s reaction struck the angel as intriguing; it was unfortunate that time wouldn’t allow further exploration. “What have you done to the girl?”


“Nothing that wasn’t already on her mind, you know that brother.” The demon laughed so hard that all divine force within five miles was evaporated instantly. Within seconds, heaven’s energy returned to seep through Earth’s astral atmosphere again. The life force and fear he was collecting from his victim made him stronger.


“Upon my name, the last angel of hope and the guiding post to the refuge and bastion of all that is holy—I say unto you, God will not grant you this soul.” All the angel could do for the girl at the moment was help her wake up. He walked up to her and felt her life force, “It’s going to be ok now, Fay.” He touched Fay on her forehead and drew out the negative energy the demon had just planted. The rest of the infestation in Fay’s mind would have to wait until the demon was gone. The angel reached out to Fay’s spirit and spoke to her, “It is not yet your time, Fay. You have so much more to live for. Didn’t you once have dreams? Have goals in life? Fay, wake up!


*************


Fay woke up with a violent gasp, fully aware of her predicament. I don’t want to. I don’t want this. I don’t want to kill myself. Her frightened mind screamed out, trapped deep inside instinctual depths of fear. Fay frantically fumbled with the phone in her hand as she went to dial 911. Her heart felt like it would explode; her mind was racing nervously. She constantly shifted between laying, sitting, and standing, not able to get comfortable. She was scared, regretful, and more anxious than she had ever been in her life. Fay looked at the time on her phone, and fear gripped her heart when her mind registered the numbers. Fears dreadful clutches clinched her tighter and tighter with each passing moment.


Her eyes welled, and tears streamed down her face so uncontrollably they cut rivers through her makeup. She felt like she would have a heart attack long before the pills ever knocked her out. Each beat of her heart thumped so hard she felt it was trying to drive her body into the ground. Fay could feel her blood pressure elevating. It felt like her systolic and diastolic heartbeats were trying to wrest control from each other in a final race that would determine which one would lay claim to her life. Fay was aware that death was coming for her, and it was closing in at an astronomical speed. Not here, not now, not this way. I’m not ready to die yet. Fay felt a wave of dizziness hit her right as the emergency operator answered the phone.


“This is 911. What’s the emergency?”


“911, is there an emergency?”


Fay’s head dipped down and gravitated towards the table as her grip slipped. She tried as hard as she could to fight the dizziness, but she lost the battle. She mumbled a few incoherent words as her head plummeted and slammed against the table. She rebounded off the hard oak wood and crumpled to the floor. Her phone slipped from her hand and fell to the floor in the opposite direction.


*************


The angel knew the demon was gone; he could no longer feel his energy in the atmosphere. The demon had fled right after the angel lunged and impaled him with the holy sword. The angel’s attack had driven the demon through the walls of 40 houses across six blocks and two neighborhoods. Fighting on lower spiritual planes had always been a source of entertainment; it was hard for the angel to hold back. Angels and demons were spiritual beings that interacted with Earth through its astral frequency, not its materialistic one.


Any damage created during spiritual warfare did not interfere with the materialistic properties that glued the lower planes together. The astral plane never retained damage; its fabric was made of pure celestial force that weakly wavered as it seeped into the lower planes of material existence. Because it wavered, it gave off the illusion that it was able to incur

damage. The illusion only lasted seconds before the astral energy reverted, stabilizing itself to match the frequency of the material planes—like an ocean unaffected by the raging waves of its surface.


The angel had caught the demon off-guard, which was a rare vantage to start from when dealing with the powerful nature of ancient fallen ones. But the angel had sensed his brother’s behavior was off like something had been on the fallen demon’s mind. The angel would hunt the demon down and implore later; for now, the angel was running out of time. He would soon be forced into his celestial form and made to occupy the higher planes of spiritual existence. He needed to hurry and attend to Fay first. The angel would make sure that Fay was protected, that she would have hope in the face of adversity. He would watch over her because he was her guardian angel. Such was the will of the celestial heavens. Together they had a purpose they needed to fulfill, a role to play in the spiritual war for humanity’s soul. 


*************


The angel removed the rest of the demon’s dark energy that had festered in the depths of Fay’s mind for too long. The damage the demon dealt Fay would lead her down a long path of recovery—a hard road to travel. The angel reached out through the divine force and engrained a message in Fay’s mind. Her memory of the night’s events would always remain somewhat fuzzy, but Fay would never forget the message she received from the heavens that night. “I want you to know that you are loved, and I am always watching over you. Things can get better, but you have to fight. Don’t give up yet. Learn to love the gift of life and all its precious lessons. You are all loved. Every precious soul is loved. Hang in there, Fay. Help is on the way.” The ambulance’s sirens echoed closer in the distance as it raced towards the military barracks to save the life of the dying girl named Fay.

March 25, 2022 22:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Crows_ Garden
01:39 Mar 30, 2022

Totally not crying- This story, was wonderfully written. I myself, am not religious, but the hope, the idea of something higher, loving and caring for us mortals on Earth- it's wholesome. I love your take on the prompt, the idea that angels have to go back to the more spiritual planes after a certain amount of time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.