0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

Ylma and Zeq were a loyal couple in Rubi Isle which is part of planet tellus – earth’s twin born about 8 centuries later. Zeq was a young tall and handsome man who owned a farm producing vegetables, fruits and milk. He was well off and had married Ylma over a year ago. At 17 now, Ylma was an attractive woman. She had the talent to act on stage and was employed by the travelling culture show.

Dr.Flex was a prominent medical practitioner of RI who pioneered medical treatment – particularly in afflictions of the eye. He had many lotions to treat the eye and also stocked leeches to overcome eye disease by blood suction. That morning, Flex attended to a number of cases and then came to attend on Zeq.

Flex said “Hello Zeq, what brings you here?”

Zeq said “Two days ago I was about to sit for milking a cow when it lashed out with its tail hitting me in the right eye. It is swollen and painful.”

Flex examined the eye and said “I can treat you with medicines but I would recommend treatment by breast milk. It should be from the source direct to the eye without use of containers which usually contaminate. You must treat both eyes though only the right one is affected.  Let the source flood the eyes till you count 200. It should be done thrice a day. After the expression of fluid keep the eyes closed for as long as you can. I’ve treated three patients with eye injuries similarly and they have been cured in a short time. I’ll examine you again later.”

Zeq went home and told Ylma about the treatment. She said “I don’t mind if it is a medical necessity. We’re true to each other. I’ll find the donor.”

Ylma went to Wizma, the official witch, who was also a midwife with the requirement. Wizma said “There is Violi who was widowed 4 months ago. She produced a defective girl child which died last night. She should be satisfactory to your need.”

“She has to treat thrice daily. That means she must move into our home. Our guest wing can accommodate her.”

“I’ll speak to her and fix it.”

Violi came to stay in Zeq’s house. At the start, Ylma helped as Zeq started counting but he counted wrong and had to restart.  Zeq’s eyes were flooded. He kept his eyes closed.

Ylma said “Zeq I’ve to attend the rehearsals and will be gone.”

“Okay.”

Ylma went to the place where the travelling culture show was headquartered and took part in the rehearsals. The organiser said “Ylma you’re acting well. The boats are ready. We should be able to start moving for our first show in days.”

Accordingly, Ylma packed and was ready. At home, that day Zeq started counting as usual but he said “Violi there is something wrong.”

She said “I’m also embarrassed. There is no flow. The source has to be activated.”

Zeq realised the fault and tried helping her using his hands but it was of no use. Finally he resorted to using his soft lips and active tongue and managed to start the flow. He could count 200 and was satisfied. He felt there was nothing wrong in what he had done as he assumed such dryness had to be overcome for complete cure of his ailment.

A couple of days later Zeq went to Flex who examined the eyes and said “There is significant improvement. In a week you could perhaps stop treatment.”

A day later as Zeq was straining for the sources to stream again, Ylma stood at the entrance overhearing. She was convinced that Zeq was doing much more than being a patient. She later silently packed her bags when Zeq asked “When will you return?”

“I wish I knew.” She left for the boatyard.

 The shows continued in different places for over three months when Ylma got bored and longed to be back. But how do I go back to him who has betrayed my trust was the question in her mind. After all her parents also lived not far from her house and she decided to go there. She approached the event organizer about her leaving.

He said “I can’t let you go when our shows are drawing large crowds.”

“But my husband is alone.”

“I’m paying you enough. I’m sure he can withstand being alone a little longer.”

She blamed herself for deserting her husband and longed to be with him despite his having strayed.  Her mind was on finding ways of escape from the show. The organizer was a vengeful fellow and she knew he had whistle blowers who were secretly watching her movements.   Concealing her intention to quit she continued acting. At the next point where they were camped, she chanced to meet an elderly sailor known to her dad. With his help Ylma fled one night in a boat. She reached RI and went to her dad’s home along with her sailor escort.

The sailor explained how he had managed to get Ylma out of the clutches of the organizer. He said “The organizer is a venomous fellow. I’m sure he is going to wreak his vengeance on me for helping Ylma to escape.”

“Don’t worry on that score. You know I’m a perfumer and need a boat to carry my perfumes which are very popular. I can hire you to ship my goods and be out of sight.”

.The sailor thanked Ylma’s dad for his help. Ylma was lost in thinking about going back to Zeq. She felt it to be humiliating to go home to him. Should she depute her dad to help? Luckily for her Zeq came for her. He said “Ylma I wonder why you didn’t come home! I was told you were here and have come for you.”

She asked “How is your eye? Is the treatment complete?”

“It was over a long time ago. Flex said the eye is now normal. He refused to take the fee for his service as I’m a statistic for his treatment. Violi also went back.”

Ylma went back home with her husband.

At home she said “That doctor Flex is to blame for our temporary separation.”

“You forget you joined the performing troupe to become a star. You forget Flex has cured me without taking a fee. I only had to compensate Violi.”

She snarled “Don’t even mention her name!”

“I remained true to you and didn’t go to bed with her.”

“I believe you. I’ve resolved to give up acting. What I need is to have a baby. Darling, let us not waste time talking. I want action.”

 He willingly complied!

END

November 05, 2022 11:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.