0 comments

Drama

I woke up in the morning. I quickly hurried to get up and dressed. I needed to get up and go before my next-door neighbor, Eillein invited me to one of her get together. She came out every morning to water her plants and if I was later than usual, she would come out and bother me.

I never liked going to her get-togethers. They made me mad. All she tried to do was make drama and make sure everyone there was "enjoying the party." The thing is, you had to say that you liked even if you don't. If you say it is bad she will throw a holy fit and will make you look bad. And not only will she do that, but she will kick you out of her friend group.

You may think that sounds better than dealing with her, but in all honesty, it's much better to be on her good side. She will publicly shame you everywhere you go and make your life miserable for the rest of your life. Some people got so stressed by her doing that, they moved states. Others go to therapy. Either way, you get put in a dark mental spot. She also runs every group and runs all the community coordinated extras for the town.

I'm on her good side, but I try to avoid her at all costs. I've only been to a few of them, but I know what she does isn't alright. Sometimes they even gossip about the people who leave the state. I don't blame the people who move. They must have been through it all and more. I'm sure they tried to make it here but it became too much. Eillein is a bully, but we can't stand up to her.

Anyway, she must have been early to water because she caught me before I was able to get into my car and leave as quickly as possible. I was even a few minutes early! Anyway, she was watering her roses when all of a sudden, she spotted me. I had no other choice than to talk to her and accept whatever she wanted of me, including going to any event.

"Hello Dear! I didn't see you there! How are you?" She asked loudly. I wished I could disappear and become invisible. Or dreaming. But unfortunately, none of those things were possible.

"Great! I was just off to work a bit earlier today." Oh god. I'm sure I messed up somewhere. She was going to stop and ask me to stay a bit longer, wasn't she?

"That's fantastic! You have a moment to talk. I would like you to come to my tea party on Saturday. I know you don't work then!" I was reluctant. I thought about not going. I could say no, I was going to be out of town visiting my mom. Just say no. I thought.

"Of course, I'm coming! Wouldn't miss it for the world!" Good job stupid. Really told her what you thought.

"Great." She smiles and I wave goodbye. Good grief, why could I not just simply say no and lie?

Saturday came too fast. It made me wish it were Monday. So I dressed up nicely, got tarts from the bakery, and knocked on her door. She came to the door with a too-bright smile. I smiled back at her. "I got some tarts, for your table." Let's hope she likes them.

"Lovely. Thank you, and come in." I enter and set them on the table, But she must have noticed what I was wearing because she asked me, "What is that you're wearing?" I look down. I think I look fine. "Just a pants suit and heels," I answer. She looks offended.

"You must wear a dress. Go home and change." I run out happily and change into my nicest dress. I come back and she lets me in again. I sit down and get a cup of tea and a pastry. Her other guests arrive, all talking with each other, talking and gossiping. I knew no one there, sitting alone. I felt lonely and upset.

Eillein sits and starts talking to all her guests. "Now that we are all here, we can get to going around and talking. Do you want to go first?" This isn't a question, so I have to start talking about myself. I feel scared but started talking anyway. I didn't want to make Eillein mad, I feared her and was willing to do anything to please her if she asked for it, or in better words, told me.

"I love tea parties and attending them. Thank you for inviting me. I love your drapes by the way. I am very into floral drapery." Eillein smiles broadly at me. I hope it's a good smile, implying she bought what I said. Whatever I rambled on about.

"Fabulous. And thank you. Moving on." I didn't pay attention from there. I eyed when it would be over and checked my watch. Then Eillein must have asked me something because I see all eyes on me.

"What do you think of the party again?" I look at her. Part of me wants to lie and tell her it's great. But I decide I need to stand up for what I believe to be right, whether Eillein likes the answer or not. I'm tired of bowing down to her.

"No. People only say they like being here because they are afraid of you. I'm not lying to you anymore. I don't like this party and I don't care if you shame me or not. I don't care if you gossip about me, or what you say in the future. I'm done here, and dealing with you." I picked up my things and left. I watched as people agreed and walked out the door with me, and then asked me to lead things for the town from then on. I agreed, and the committee was gifted to me on that very day.

That's the story of the day I told my neighbor Eillein about her terrible parties and what people actually thought of her. Since then, Eillein's little group has disbanded and no one listens to her anymore. No one since has tried to be friends with her or listen to her and her crazy antics.

January 13, 2022 16:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.