Queen of the Forest

Submitted into Contest #108 in response to: Write about a person or object vanishing into thin air.... view prompt

2 comments

Teens & Young Adult Fiction

      Dozens of green soldiers were the few friends I had since I was born. Their armies welcomed me every time I climbed onto my roof.

           “Hey guys, I’m back.”

           A breeze flew over them, their waves fluttered. Though it’s not the same, at least they’re technically alive. They’re better than my family. Shouts, screams, the loud bangs that became a disturbing tune was constantly on repeat. Only my army gave me peace. The sun enhanced their armor in bold shades of green. Some layers of their armor were flat, others were spiky like needles. Some began to evolve into yellow and orange. Winter was always the worst time every year. I had to choose between either the hurricane inside my house, or the pinching air. Sometimes a blizzard. But the blizzard was worth it. Its howls drowned out the other storm’s screams. Though I barely saw them in the white air, I spotted glimpses of them. We were all bare, suffering the cold together. And we always survived.

           “I passed my science test today! I really thought I wasn’t going to pass. Physics is too complicated, and boring.”

           Their armor clasped against each other. Birds joined the conversation with their adorable chirps.

           I played with my shoelaces. “Yeah. I can’t wait to get out. I’m going across the country though for college. It sucks I won’t see you guys specifically, but at least more will await me there. The campus is breathtaking! You know I can never leave you guys for a city. Skyscrapers are cold and keep to themselves.”

           Silence.

           “Don’t worry, I’ll be back. A semester is only 5 months. There’s fall break, so I’ll return in October. Plus, I get to see your new armor again! I don’t know which I like more, the green or the warm colors.”

           The wind blew, but armor echoed.

           “Guys, it’s okay.” I looked up. Brown ground invaded the land. No solider there to fight. I spun in every direction. A sea of dead earth closed in. I jumped off my roof and ran as far as I could. Were they too sad? Did they think they weren’t good enough? I sought out any surviving soldiers. Any traces they still fought. That they still cared. I observed the battlefield. It stretched out into infinity. Only imprints of their bodies were left. Not one piece of wood, root, or leaf existed. I stared back at the entire invading army. The only survivors were houses and cars. Some neighbors walked out and also gazed in shock. I kneeled and clutched the dirt. It was soft, like all their blood poured out from the fight. I dug. Maybe I could find one root. Just one.

           Please be alive. Don’t leave me.

           My hope drained the deeper I got. Even the enemy conquered underneath. I laid on the ground and joined their invisible corpses. Tears fell and landed in the dirt. Maybe that’ll bring them back, like it does in Disney movies. I waited. A heavy feeling consumed me as the enemy beat me into the ground. Another enemy snuck in and burned every inch of my body, shooting flaming arrows as it ran across the sky.

           You suffered with me. Let me die with you.

           “Paige!” A familiar voice entered the finished battle. I lifted my head. Dad searched among the dead.

           I’d rather die.

           “Paige! Where are you?”

           He’d easily find me. I had no choice. I reluctantly left my comrades and walked toward him so slowly, it seemed I wasn’t even moving.

           He jogged to me and grabbed my wrist. “Why are you out here? You don’t know what’s happening.”

           No, I don’t, but you don’t know how to care for me like they did.

           Another attack smacked me across the face, I almost fell back to the ground.

           “Don’t you leave the house again without telling me.” He clutched my arm again and pulled me back to the house. He threw me in the house and went to talk with the neighbors. My mom was out there too, her arms crossed and body stiff, a flabbergasted anger coated her face red. I went to the door, but it was locked. I kicked it. I should’ve run away and lived in the woods when I had the chance.

           I entered my room and looked back out the window. Nothing but brown and blue sat outside.

           Why are they gone? Did I say something bad?

           I opened my dresser and pulled out the gifts from my soldiers. The rough tops and smooth bodies of the acorns released the heavy grip. My lungs finally took in a full breath. I laid on my bed and placed them next to my pillow; their rich scent filled the emptiness with a natural comfort. I closed my eyes and tried to run away into sleep, anything to leave the scarred land.

           A tug pulled me out of my dreamless sleep. Plant them. I sat up to a darkened room. I took my phone’s flashlight and peeked out the window with a tiny trace of hope. The enemy camped in a permanent victory. Stars ruled the sky like a silvery ocean.

           Plant them. The thought repeated.

           I put the light on the acorns and squeezed them. Are my soldiers speaking from the dead?

           “Where are you guys?” I spoke quietly.

           Something moved from within. We’re gone, but you can raise a new army.

           “Are there none of you left in the whole world?” I glanced back outside.

           Yes.

           I almost broke the acorns. “Why?”

           It just happened.

           I cradled all the acorns in my hands. “This is all I have left of you. I don’t want to be alone.”

           Be brave. Have patience. You have to let us go. It’s the only way to bring us back.

           I get off my bed and pack my things. “I’m not leaving you. If you survived every battle before, I’ll survive, too.” I filled my suitcase with some clothes, stuffed every beverage and food in a garbage bag, and grabbed the first aid kit and my parents camping tent. I checked out the living room window. My parents were farther from the house. I took the biggest frying pan and smashed it against the kitchen window. It made a circular crack. I hit it again and it broke through. I kicked the remaining glass, hastily through my stuff out, and carefully crawled outside. Before my parents had the chance to return, I hoisted everything and ran far into enemy territory. I clutched everything to my body. No matter how many times the bag of food banged my legs, I didn’t stop. I sprinted as long as I could. Far enough to where my parents couldn’t see me at the horizon.

           By the time my lungs burned with desperation, I dropped all my stuff. I gazed at the sky. The stars gave a magical welcome, a slight hope in treacherous darkness. Falling to my knees next to my tent, my hands dug deep earth until they cramp up. I take one of the acorns, squeeze it against my chest, and kiss it. “Please return soon.” I hide it in its new home and reluctantly lose sight of it covering it back up. I move to other spots close by and create new homes for my future soldiers. I can barely see their roofs in the dark light. Setting up my tent, my heart rips into multiple pieces.

           How long will it be? How long can I wait?

           Crawling in my tent and settling for bed, the enemy keeps circling around me; the air grows thinner the closer they come in.

           But something breaks their army. Rainfall. Every drop cuts off their voices. The grip loosens and runs away. The fresh scent of rain brings back my breath. It avenges my soldiers and destroys every enemy, sending them further into their own graves.

           I whimper in my sleeping bag, believing the battle is won.

           We will return soon, our queen.

August 26, 2021 15:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

10:45 Aug 30, 2021

I absolutely adore this story! It made me feel so many feelings, i’m so touched by your writing. Love the way you convey Paige’s emotions!

Reply

19:04 Aug 30, 2021

Thank you so much! 😄 I’m happy you like it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.