16 comments

Fantasy Kids

When Kelly saw something was moving about in the closed tulip bud, she immediately thought it was a fairy.

She told the inhabitant this,

"I thought you were a fairy"

Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd bugged his eyes out and and replied,

" Insolent Human- do not fib! Thou did not think I was a fae-kind!? "


" You speak weird. Yes I did think you were a fairy. Why were you sleeping in the tulip bud? Did you just hatch? I thought dragons came from eggs?"


"Impudent Human ! Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd guesses no better could be expected from thou. Thy kind is most foolish. To answer thy question- Human tongues are many, and they change so quickly. Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd barely learnt to speak one of the humans tongue whence the humans changed it once again! Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd hath changed his speaking some, some remains, as the new tongue has many strange words -"

Kelly interrupted," You speak like in Mummy's big books by the head-statue of the weird man! I looked once, they talk funny like you! Mummy will try to read and explain them sometimes to me. Did you know the man? I think his name was Billy, no… 'Willy Sheep-spear'. He liked everybody to die."

Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd sighed.

" Human- Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd was explaining answers to thy own questions. Why art thou so rude? Oh, thou art but a young one in human terms. You are forgiven, Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd will continue to answer thy questions in the timeth that thou gives them! Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd slept in the tulip, as it wasth comfortable to sleep on. Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd trusts thou hast understood that he dost be greatly older than thou? Dragons live for hundreds of thousands of Human lives. They grow for most of them. It has only been a few hundred Human lives since Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd wast hatched. Whence he was, he did come from an egg. He is not yet full grown yet, and won't be for at least a few human eras. As for thy second question, Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd hath not met any mortal named 'Willy Sheep-spear', but, he used to live in a "Globe Theater '' where a William Shakespeare did perform. That was how he learnt much of the main Mortal language."


"Ooh so you are a baby dragon!"


"Mortal! Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd is hundreds of years older than thou! Did thou not comprehend what he said? He is most offended with thou! "

Kelly was what someone might call an 'impulsive speaker', but she wasn't silly enough to offend a dragon without making amends. So she invited him in for luncheon.

" I am very sorry Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd. Please come in for lunch to show you are not cross with me? "


"Well...I accept your amends, and your invitation."


"Goody, great! Now that we're friends again can you breathe fire! Pleaaase?" 

Kelly asked as she walked, and Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd flew alongside her to the house.

"Mortal, Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd, dus't not know thy name, but thou callest us ' friends ' why do thou toss the term around so? However Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd agrees that he, and thou are'st on cordial terms, so he will continue to answer your very, many questions. Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd dus't not breathe fire yet, as he dus't not be fully grown."


" I am 6 & a half years old, and my name is Kelly. Aren't we friends? Can we be, please? You are very awesome, even if you can't breathe fire yet, and talk funny. "

" Mortal….Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd supposes, to show gratitude to his host, he can call Mortal Kelly a friend. "

Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd was greatly flattered by the first part of Kelly's beseechment, so much so, that he wasn't even indignant about the last part. Kelly and the dragon went in for lunch. Mummy had already made a very handsome spread for Kelly, and leaving a note to remind her to not' just eat the yummy bits, but everything ', had gone for a rest in her bedroom.

Kelly looked at the feast,

"Ooh! Look! What yummy food Mummy has prepared! Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches! Chocolate Milk! Oranges! And she says we can have CHIPS!!!!! But oh nooooooo, we have to have egg salad too. Bleh, speh, pooh. Oh well, you can have half of everything, but … I suppose as you are my guest, I have to eat all the egg -salad, yes, it is my duty."


"What, strange food mortals eat."

Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd said as he looked at the food. 

"Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd has not been inside a mortal home in some years. Thou art the host, but Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd will try to vanquish the egg -salad "


" You will?! Try it, if you do, you are the most powerful dragon ever! "

Kelly said pushing it toward Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd. 

Well, Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd couldn't refuse that title, and the egg- salad was soon gone. With a shiver he spoke.

"Richard Praegrandis Vorst dus't declare the "salad" evil, but vanquished."


" You are brave! Here you can have the chips, and chocolate milk, first! "

"This be'th a supreme mortal invention! The crunch is better than bones, and the taste fit for a dragon!"

And so the luncheon was a success.

When Mummy later came down to see that Kelly had eaten properly, she received a shock when Kelly begged,

" Mummy, pleaaase may Richard Praegrandis Vorst have a sleepover? Pleaseeeee? "

 "Kelly! The egg-salad was, eaten! What a miracle! Oh, and greetings young Dragon, if you wish, you may stay the night."

After all, Kelly's mummy knew better than to not let such a polite Dragon who apparently had such a good influence on Kelly, stay the night. 

" Thank you, Dear Lady, Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd will be pleased to accept thy invitation. "

And that is how you get to have a sleepover with a dragon.


The End.



May 15, 2020 19:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

16 comments

23:37 May 25, 2020

Hi!! I really truly love this story, and it would be amazing to see more of your writing! It would be awesome if you read Daryl Gravesande's stories, and then like and follow!! His favorite is the first! Then please spread the word! I would gladly do the same for you! Thanks so much for the support! Stay safe!-Avery.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hailey S.
14:25 May 22, 2020

Such a sweet and unique story! I really enjoyed it!

Reply

Katy S.
16:08 May 22, 2020

Thankyou! I usually value originality overall else, so I am really flattered you think it's unique!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Janet Inglis
12:31 May 20, 2020

What a lovely and lively story. I enjoyed reading it and your Dragon voice was delightful.

Reply

Katy S.
16:37 May 20, 2020

Thank you so much! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hayley Igarashi
16:00 May 19, 2020

"Insolent Human- do not fib!" Khadija, this was an absolute delight. I enjoyed everything from Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd's name to your sweet kicker of a last line. Now more than ever, I think we need stories like this one that make us smile. Nice job!

Reply

Katy S.
17:32 May 19, 2020

Thank you so much! You are so kind, and your comment really means alot. It made me smile! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
A. Y. R
20:31 May 17, 2020

I really got attached to Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd, would have loved to have a sleepover with him myself!

Reply

Katy S.
21:49 May 17, 2020

On behalf of Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd, please accept my most humble gratitude! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:47 May 16, 2020

This is very cute! I love how he refers to himself in the third person! And incorrect grammar makes perfect sense for a child

Reply

Katy S.
16:45 May 16, 2020

Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to write the comment out! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:57 May 20, 2020

Kelly's character is just amazing! I can imagine your story playing out in my head, and it made me laugh. Keep writing, and stay safe! :)

Reply

Katy S.
01:23 May 21, 2020

Thank you so much! You are very kind :) I hope you are in good health!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
06:28 May 17, 2020

<removed by user>

Reply

Katy S.
09:55 May 17, 2020

Thank you so much! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Katy S.
19:22 May 15, 2020

I hope you enjoy! I purposely did not use proper Elizabathean English so that readers don't have to do research to understand Richard Praegrandis Vorst the 3rd 's speaking. I also didn't use absolutely correct grammar in Kelly's dialogue, as I wanted to keep it realistic. I hope these choices were wise, and reading this wasn't a waste of your time ;).

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.