45 comments

Romance

Rain, Come and Gone

The first rain of Spring has come and gone. A reminder that you weren’t here with me to see it. We always watch the first rain of every season together, but not this time. You are long past watching the rain and marvelling over the seasons with me. Once upon a time, watching the rain was all you ever wanted to do as long as we were together. Even when the skies were clear, and the sun shone down on us, you radiated warmth and safety. You were my blue sky, my clouds at every hour and the stars that lit up my world. The first rain of Spring has come and gone, just like you, my love.

I watched the rain trickle down the windows and listened to it patter against the roof whilst laying in my bed. Cloud tears, you used to call them as we drove down highways in your blue Subaru and ran in the rain without umbrellas. Once the shower stopped, I sat outside and smelled the scent of rain. There’s a name for it, isn’t there? Petrichor, that’s it. You loved that word, didn’t you? If you had your way, there’d be a “special name” for everything. I would’ve let you had you not left. You might wonder why I sat in the soaked grass, but I assure you, it was for a good reason. You see, my love, the rain will always remind me of you. The smell of rain evokes me of the sleepless nights and the midnight cuddles as we watched the rainfall. Memories of a better time, in a better place.

When it rained, and it was one of those sleepless nights, you’d sing whilst the rain came down, murmuring lyrics or humming softly till I fell asleep. Now as I lay awake, alone in bed, I wonder why you had to leave. Illness could’ve struck anyone, but it was brought upon you. Towards the end, saying I love you was sadder than happier. I loved you too much to let you go or to lose you, but it was never up to me. When it rained in the car, we’d watch the raindrops race and I’d turn off the radio to hear the rain but mainly to listen to your voice. If the rain could sound any different, it’d be to your vocals, so I’d think of you even more. The wind could whisper your name in my ear, the sun could shine, reminding me of our happiness and the rain would show the moments where it’s peaceful to fill the space in my heart. These little things rest in my soul, like you do, my love.

When it rained on the streets and we didn’t have umbrellas, I remember we’d walk together, laughing as the rain tickled our skin and soaked our clothes. ‘A free shower’, you used to joke, ‘everyone loves things that are free, but the rain is priceless.’ After the first rain of the season, I visited your mother. She was so happy to see me since you and your father had passed on. We recalled the bittersweet memories of you and talked about how wonderful you were. Your amber eyes, your jokes, your kindness, and your smile. We cried about your short-lived life, your once tan skin that turned pale and your beautiful chestnut hair that became thinner and thinner with each day. But remember, my love, we loved and will always love everything about you. You were far from perfect, but aren’t we all? You were mine, a blessing to my life and the most amazing person in so many people’s lives. Especially mine. No amount of rain could ever compare to that, for it was a kind of love that makes the rain fall for us, not for anyone else. It was the kind of love that made us better people, made us happy and taught us how to be brave for the people we love most. Thank you for teaching me all that, my love.

I saw some children playing on the street when I came home. A girl and two boys were jumping in the puddles with grins on their faces. I hope our smiles were just as big and joyous as theirs were. They caught me looking, smiled and then waved me over. One of the boys asked if I wanted to join them. I thought of you walking in the puddles after rainfall, so I did. I imagined you were there too as the children clutched my hand and jumped with me. Their parents came out to collect them not long after, thanking me for spending time with them, but I told them it was my pleasure. The youth of today seem to appreciate the rain just as much as you did, my love. Nothing could make me happier than to see people who admire the rain just as much as you did.

The first rain of the season has come and gone. I smelled the scent of the rain, visited your mother, played with some children and thought of you. The love of my life who cherished the rain. As I sit in the living room, with a cup of tea and write this, I want to shout to the world how much I love you, despite you not being able to hear me. But, I have the memories of you, the things you left me and the rain to remind me of your love. This beautiful rain that you adored so much, reminds me you will never truly leave. My love for you will always remain, and I will be reminded of you when the rain falls. Though you have left, every heartbeat of mine beats for you and the memories we made together. As seasons change, storm clouds brew or the moon changing its phases, we will be together; one heart, one spirit, one love. A new season has arrived, the previous one, come and gone. Just like many other things in life, like the rain, and you.

September 25, 2021 02:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

45 comments

Everett Silvers
18:57 Sep 27, 2021

Beautiful and heartbreaking <3 and now imma go and cry because it was do amazing xD

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
12:03 Sep 28, 2021

Ahhhhhh thanks so much, Everett! I really love reading your comments on my work, I'm super grateful <3 Ah, well, um, would you like to join me- Crying in the corner after reading sad stories is always a go-to XD Thank you again for reading! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

omg Jaseyy! So good! It was like- bittersweet dang my heart GJ <3333

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
07:53 Sep 25, 2021

Thank you Celesteeeee <333

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
12:18 Sep 26, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
08:29 Oct 02, 2021

The post is out guys! I can’t believe it the number of views it has gotten! Please do check it out! I am really happy with the response and would love it if you guys too check the post out!!! ~ Dhwani Jain {02-10-2021}

Reply

? What do you mean? But congrats! :D

Reply

Dhwani Jain
05:45 Oct 03, 2021

I mean, please do check out my latest blog post..... Thanks

Reply

OH oki imma go see :D npp

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
15:46 Nov 19, 2021

Hey!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
05:24 Nov 20, 2021

Omg pls Emerald I wrote a whole comment out and then realised it was you LMAO IM SORRY I GOT CONFUSED BC OF THE NEW NAME-

Reply

16:04 Nov 20, 2021

It's fine! One time I got really confused because I was getting messages from someone I didn't know and checked her bio and it said "formerly known as" and I went ooooh... That's fine! I decided it was time to change my name again, and went as a historical joke. I am wondering what the comment was... Also, we feel the same way about Hamilton, I saw your form entry.

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
11:40 Nov 21, 2021

I was like "I don't think we've spoken before but I love your name" and then I was like WAIT IT'S EMERALD Also yes, I strongly believe in Hamilton supremacy. If you had to be in the musical which character would you like to be?

Reply

15:37 Nov 21, 2021

Aaron Burr. He's misunderstood and has some fun songs. I actually out him in my "if I ever get in a broadway show" character list. And that's a list for elite characters only. It would also be fun to be Hammy.

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
05:14 Nov 22, 2021

Oooh yes I love that. I’d love to sing Wait For It as Aaron Burr

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:37 Nov 20, 2021

The first story's out!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
11:40 Nov 21, 2021

I'll check it out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
05:22 Oct 17, 2021

HELLOOOOOOO Loving the new name and pfp to match the aesthetic Celesteeeee

Reply

HELLOOOOOOOOOOO THANKSSSSSSSSSSS I love the akatsuki lmao

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
18:25 Oct 17, 2021

:D I'm srsly so busy this week arghhu ceskubuksrbckisrncl but I'll try to work on the collab as much as I can :)

Reply

:DDDDD EWLNJiedwnjhewuewo its fine :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
08:29 Oct 02, 2021

The post is out guys! I can’t believe it the number of views it has gotten! Please do check it out! I am really happy with the response and would love it if you guys too check the post out!!! ~ Dhwani Jain {02-10-2021}

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
15:49 Oct 02, 2021

Hey, Dhwani. I'm not sure if you're talking about the latest post on your blog or not (the Oct comp) but I checked it out. I'll think about sending in a story if I have time. ~ Jasey

Reply

Dhwani Jain
05:43 Oct 03, 2021

yesh, I was talking about the Oct Comp.....do send it to me. I'll be waiting.... =D

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
06:35 Oct 03, 2021

As I said, I'll think about it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
18:33 Sep 29, 2021

This is so good! I love the descriptiveness of it, and I like the point of view. The ending was so sad, though I should've been able to tell the lover was dead. But I loved it. Great job!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
00:39 Sep 30, 2021

Thanks so much, Ari! I’m glad you liked it, even though it was sad. Thank you again :)

Reply

Ari Berri
19:03 Sep 30, 2021

Your work is great. Please tell me if you ever write a book.

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
04:01 Oct 01, 2021

Awwww, thanks! I'm in the process of drafting one, so we'll see how that goes ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
02:45 Sep 25, 2021

Whew, finally another story. It's a very short one, but hopefully you all enjoy it anyway :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.