Valentine Fun

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

1 comment

American Fiction Holiday

"Good afternoon, class!"

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Soriso!"

"What are we going to do in art class today?" asked Jill.

"We are going to make a linked hearts Valentine's Day chain that is going to start on the wall outside this room and wind its' way all the way through the school."

"That's a lot of hearts."

'Yes it is. Some of the other classes have already started working on their hearts. We are going to make as many as we can this week and then on Friday, my helpers and I are going to start hanging them on the walls."

"Mrs. Soriso?"

"Yes, Steven?"

"Can we draw or write something on the hearts?"

"Good question, Steven. Yes, but it can't be love notes. I don't want Steven loves Gretchen on hearts."

"Mrs. Soriso, who is Gretchen?"

"Gretchen is just a made up name. I just don't want somebody loves somebody on these hearts. It can just say love on it. Or We Love Our Stallions."

"Oh, that makes sense. That way people won't have hurt feelings or get mad."

"That's right Steven."

"Happy Valentine's Day would be a good thing to write on the heart, wouldn't it? asked Alice.

"That's a great thing to put on the hearts, Alice."

"We don't have to write or draw anything on them do we?"

"No you don't."

"Mrs. Soriso?"

"Yes, Chrissy?"

"I can't draw a heart."

"There are patterns in the back you can use to trace a heart on the construction paper."

"Where on the back table with the other supplies."

"Wow, look at all the cool things we get to use today. Paint, glitter, chalk, markers and so much more!"

"You will be able to get to start on your hearts as soon as I take attendance."

"We're all here, Mrs. Soriso."

"Thank you Joseph, but you know the rules, I have to call out the names on the attendance sheet and that person has to answer back."

"Amanda, do you have a question?"

"No, Mrs. Soriso, I was raising my hand so everyone would get quiet."

"Thank you Amanda."

"You're welcome."

"Thank you everyone for getting quiet. Okay, now who's ready to have some Valentine Fun!"

"We are!"

"Table one and table three you may go to the restroom and get a drink, table two and four you may to the back of the room to get your supplies."

"Mrs. Soriso?"

"Yes, Sam?"

"How are we going to link the hearts together?"

"I am going to walk around the room and use a hole punch to put a hole in the hearts. Then a couple of my seventh and eighth grade helpers are going to help me string the hearts together using white ribbon."

"Cool."

"I thought so too."

"Jenny, what's wrong?"

"Amy took the last piece of red construction paper."

"There's more in the cupboard, I'll get it."

"Thank you, Mrs. Soriso."

"You're welcome."

"Cecilia and Darby, why were you too running in the hall? And before the two of you tell me you weren't, I saw you. Please go put your names on the chalkboard."

"Okay."

"Table One and table three you may go to the back of the room and get your supplies, table two and table four you may go to the restroom and get a drink."

"Mrs. Soriso, Staci just ate some glue."

"Staci, please don't eat the glue. Please go and get a drink of water to rinse the glue out of your mouth. When you get back I will give you a mint to get rid of the taste. If anybody else tries to eat glue to get a mint I will send you to the office."

"Mrs. Soriso!"

"Okay, raise your hand if you were thinking about eating glue so you would get a mint. Oh, that was what I was afraid off. I will give everybody one mint."

"Thank you Mrs. Soriso!"

"You're welcome."

"Lord, please help me get through this afternoon."

"Mrs. Soriso, did you say something else?"

"Oh, Staci honey, I just said a little prayer to help get me through the day."

"Did you say a prayer for me too?"

"Sure, I just did."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

"Who needs help with their hearts."

"Mrs. Soriso?"

"I'm coming David."

"Sam, please put your name on the chalkboard. We do not throw glitter on our neighbor."

"Mrs. Soriso?"

"Asher, would you please help Gabe with his valentine heart?"

"Yes."

"Gabe, please go put your name on the chalkboard. We do not rip our heart in half because I can't help you right now."

"That's o.k. Jill, accidents happen. I'll get some warm water to clean the glue up. Please don't smear it all all over the table."

"Mrs. Soriso?"

"Yes, Mrs. Jackson?"

"Cammie's dad is here to pick her up."

"Okay, she just has to clean up and she will be on her way to the office."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

"Okay, class, we only have 10 more minutes left. Who has a valentine heart done?"

"Oh, those look great. Please put your names on them and put them on the front table. Great work!"

"Mrs. Soriso, Gabe took my valentine!"

"Gabe, please give Abby back her valentine. And then please go put a mark by your name on the chalkboard."

"Gabe!"

"I'm sorry I took your valentine Abby."

"Thank you Gabe."

"Gabe."

"Yes, Mrs. Soriso?"

"Thank you for picking up that paper off the floor and throwing it away."

"You're welcome."

"Okay, we only have five minutes left. Table one and two, please throw away your scraps. Tables two and four, please put your supplies back on the back table."

"Darby, please stop running around in circles. Please put a mark beside your name on the chalkboard."

"Darby!"

"I'm heading to the chalkboard now, Mrs. Soriso."

"Thank you."

"Darby, please come here."

"Yes, Mrs. Soriso."

"Even though you had to put a mark by your name, which means you have to miss five minutes of recess, I am very proud of you today."

"You are?"

"Yes, you didn't argue with me today and I saw you helping Cecilia with her valentine. That was very nice of you. Oh, and I love that smile I see on your face right now."

"You do."

"Yes."

"Thanks, Mrs. Soriso."

"You're welcome."

"Awesome day today, class. I love all the beautiful valentines. Great Job! Hi, Mr. Jacobs."

"Hi, Mrs. Soriso. It looks like my class has been busy today."

"They have. And they have been well behaved today."

"That's great, class. That's what I like to hear. Maybe we can find some extra free time at the end of the day!"

"Yea!"

"How do we find extra free time, Mr. Jacobs?"

"Well Asher, if the whole class works really hard and quietly on science and math today, we should be able to stay outside longer during our last recess!"

"Yea, let's go do our science and math!"

"Wow, Mr. Jacobs, I haven't heard second grade students that excited about math and science in a long time!"

"Me either!"

"Mrs. Soriso, you're next class is ready to come in."

"Thank you, Mr. Jacobs, please have them come in."

"Okay, class, who is ready to have some valentine fun?"

January 15, 2021 21:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

XANDER DMER
17:50 Feb 05, 2021

Hey Laura!! :D It was a good read... Make sure when you write things like this, for example in your story you put... "Mrs. Soriso?" You have to put David says after that because the readers are not going to know what student is talking to the teacher. All of all good story :D

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.