0 comments

Christmas Drama Fiction

I lay sideways on my rickety bed. I rolled over. Creak. I stare up into the ceiling, enveloped in its never-ending abyss of cracks. Dad never brought Katherine, his newest wife, or her kids home. And she was finally coming. She seems nice, although I never really met her. Oli met her once and said she tried too hard, but I wouldn't count on her opinion. I want to meet her for myself.

“Grace, hurry up, they’re almost here!” Dad yelled. I sensed a bit of panic in his voice.

“Coming!” I jerked up, grabbing my Christmas tree earrings off the dresser. I dashed down the stairs. 

Dad turned around, raising his eyebrows.

“You look beautiful. Just like your mother.” He praised me. I made a little spin. Like, mom?

“Thank you,” I said quickly. “Not so bad yourself,” I replied, grinning.

“Aw, you think? I pulled out my fancy suit for this.” He smiled, straightening his tie.

He never talked about mom like that. He even tried to avoid saying her name. Just as I was about to put on my earrings, Oli came rushing down, holding up two dresses, pink and red.

“Which one? Hurry up because I still need to do my hair.” She whined. Looking me up and down, “And you need to fix your hair, I mean, at least brush it out. It might get mistaken for a bird’s nest.” She said, smirking.

“Shut up.” “And I don’t hate the red one, it is Christmas after all.” I frowned, trying to push the loop of the earring into my newly pierced hole.

“Yes, the most wonderful time of year, which is why we need to be on our best behavior for Katherine and her boys. So that means no fighting or calling your sister names. Especially you Grace.” He raised his eyebrows at me. “Yes, I mean you.”

“It’s not fair. ” I muttered, rolling my eyes, “why do you always have to point me out?” Dad opened his mouth to speak. Ding dong. He rushed up to the door with no hesitation. 

“Now remember, our best behavior for Katherine and her kids, and be nice.” He gave us a quick nod and turned the doorknob. Katherine entered first, with an awkward smile.

“Hey, James. It's so nice to finally meet your kids!” She gave him a half hug and kiss on the cheek. A boy who looked like her youngest had the weirdest slicked-back haircut. His brother was almost identical, but their eye colors seemed to be completely different. Both of them clung to their mother’s arm. 

“Well come on in!” He waved them inside. “Hi. My name is James. But you can call me dad. Well... if you’d like.” He crouched down and patted the older one on the head. Her son’s face slipped into a glare. He turned away and glanced at his mother.

“Oh, now be nice Kealan!” His mother snapped.

“Okay… Well, let's get straight to it!” He clapped his hands together. “I am very hungry and I’m sure you are too. ” Dad chuckled, leading everyone to the dining room, embellished with a mistletoe runner, a flickering candle, a luscious feast, fancy table settings, and white flowers, mom’s favorite. After she passed, Dad would place them all around the house, one for each day she looked down upon us.

“Yes! I know I am. And James, thank you so much again for putting this all together, I want you to know that we, the boys and I, really appreciate this.” She gave us a soft smile.

“Of course.” He simpered. “And I am so glad Grace and Oli finally get to meet your boys. We want you to feel welcome in your new home.” New home? Dad never told us they were moving in.      

“Can we eat now? I’m hungry,” Oli asked, obviously trying to change the subject.

“Yes. Let’s all take our seats. Please feel free to freshen up. The bathroom is right this way.” Dad said, leading Sammy, the younger one, to the bathroom.

“Well girls, it's so nice to meet you.” She exclaimed.“I brought something that I wanted to show you.” She eagerly pulled out something from her clutch. Is that an ornament? Why would you bring an ornament to dinner?

“I know what you’re thinking. Why did she bring an ornament? She’s crazy. Butt… Hear me out. My grandmother has this little tradition that we celebrate every Christmas. We sew a patch or cloth onto a felt ornament. And... I- I was wondering if I could share it with you.” She reached over the table, handing it to me.

“Me?” I whispered, studying the bright pink patch of fabric. She nodded. “Thank you. I love it.” I muttered.

“Of course, we’re like family now.” Family? I wasn’t so sure about that word. “Hey, I have an idea, don't we place the ornament on the Christmas tree together after dinner? She said, taking her seat. Dad and Sammy scrambled in, working on what looked like a handshake.

“Yes, sure that would work,” I replied with a shy smile.

“Aw, look at you two, getting along.” Dad fell back into his chair, letting out a sigh. “Well, let’s eat. C'mon, don’t be shy, dig in!” He nudged Kealan. He yanked off a piece of the turkey and started to nibble on it.

“So Oli, what grade are you currently in?” Katherine quizzed, examining her.

“I’m in sixth grade.” She briefly replied. 

“Oh wow! That is so interesting. You know my boys are only two years behind you. Isn’t that bizarre?” She said with great passion.

“Yes. That is indeed bizarre. Grace, tell her what grade you’re in.” Dad remarked, giving me a look.

“I’m a freshman at Grover high,” I responded. Sammy turned to his mother, cupping his hands to her ear. 

“Sure honey.” She turned to me. “Grace sweety, please hand me the bowl of mashed potatoes.” Why can’t she get it herself? I handed it to her, all the way across the rectangular-shaped table

“Thank you, honey, you are so sweet!” She said, with ardent eyes. She then grabbed it from my hands and started to place spoonfuls onto Sammy’s plate. “Here you go. Now eat up, this is an important meal. Kealan honey, would you like some?” He shook his head. As everyone started to finish up, she started to gather up the serving bowls, while I cleaned up the silverware. Once cleaned up, she started to announce, “James, I would like to hang up a very special ornament on the tree, if that’s okay with you?” She threw me a wink. 

“Yes, of course.”

“Perfect, thank you.” She leads us all to the living room, lit up with our 9-foot Christmas tree Dad and I spent weeks working on. Her boys stood behind her, wide-eyed. “Grace, would you like to do the honors?” She asked me, observing my expression.

“Sure.” Grabbing the ornament off the table, I looped the wire around the highest branch I could reach. They all clapped as I fit the loop tightly onto the branch. For the rest of the evening, we turned up the fireplace and wrapped presents for Christmas morning. As we got to know each other, I felt satisfied that this day was worthwhile and just realized that I, that we, were going to be okay without Mom.

Jogging over to the loveseat where I was sitting, “I know I’m not your real mother, but I- I’m hoping that you would accept my boys and me as family one day.” She asked, with a sparkle in her eyes. I turned to look her in the face.

“Of course, we’re like family now.” I voiced, showing a half-smile. She beamed.

August 05, 2022 20:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.