SHERI'S DEBUT

Written in response to: Write about a character on the road — and on the run.... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Drama

I live in the city of Mand with my wife Maya. I am a market researcher and look for new products which would have demand. I was invited to participate in a seminar in the town of Zora about 200 kms away.

Maya said “I would love to be in Zora where excellent silk saris are said to be made. May be you’ll buy me one.”

I nodded and said “Go with me. While I attend the seminar you could shop.”

“I wish we could take my sister along ......”

I said “Enough! I don’t want that big mouth around with her bossy ways. Don’t even mention to her that you’re going to Zora. She’ll spoil the atmosphere.”

Maya laughed.

On the scheduled date we were ready to leave early in the morning. We would pass through Nunzi which is a half way point. As we set off Maya said “Please stop at Plaza Mall for a few minutes. I’ll buy a few eats for the way.”

I parked and sat in the car. Maya was back in about 15 minutes accompanied by a girl carrying the purchases. The girl was good looking and fair and was dressed in pyjamas with a long flowered robe on top. Her hair had been neatly coiffed. Obviously she was a staff of the mall.

Maya loaded the packages in the car and gave the girl a tip. The girl refused and asked “Are you bound for somewhere?”

Maya said “Yes. We’re going to Zora.”

The girl immediately fell at Maya’s feet and said “Please take me along and drop me in Nunzi. I want to join my boyfriend who works there.”

Maya said “But you need to prepare.”

“I’ll come as I am. I’m disappearing.”

Maya said “Get up. You’re a girl and look attractive. It would be unsafe........”

“I can take care of myself.”

“What about your parents? What about your job?”

“I’ll tell you everything if you take me along.”

Maya looked at me but I merely looked on.

Maya said “Alright come on.”

The girl immediately operated her phone and put it back. She sat in the back and Maya joined her and said “Tell me about yourself.”

I sat eager to hear salacious details but I knew Maya was a prude.

The girl said “I’m called Sheri. I’m now 19 and am good at athletics and dance. I hope I’m not boring you.”

Maya said “No,no. Continue.”

“My father who was in the Indian army died when I was just 7. In fact I don’t even remember his face. My mother then married a man who owns a liquor shop in Mand. Recently my troubles started. My step-father instead of treating me like his daughter.........”

Maya said “I can understand.”

“I fought him off when he came drunk. I reported to my mother but she was indifferent. I started going to bed with a concealed dagger which the lady manager in Plaza gave me. One night after my mother had gone to sleep.....”

I wanted to hear details and silently cursed Maya who always seemed to interrupt when the girl was about to give info I wanted to hear.

Maya said philosophically “These men are always like that....”

Sheri said “I spoke to my boyfriend Dick and told him the happenings in detail. I told him I would go away with him. But unfortunately he was jobless. He is a good tailor. But now he has a job in Nunzi. He specializes in stitching blouses for women mostly film actresses. He told me that even super stars like Storm- you know she acted in a film of that name which hit the box office – patronize him. He told me making the blouses with an almost naked back was very challenging particularly since the director would want the front.......”

Maya said “Those film directors are shameless. I’m glad Dick is earning his keep.”

I braked hard and Maya said to me ‘You should concentrate on the road.” That was her admonition  for my following the conversation in the back seat.

I expressed my anger at her interruptions as I said  “That fellow pushing a trolley upset the drum he was transporting and it tumbled on the road. I had to brake hard.”

Maya asked “Sheri where does Nick live in Nunzi?”

“It seems he is a paying guest in the house of a certain old lady.”

“How will you find him after we drop you?”

“I messaged him and he has replied that he would wait at the 60 km milestone for me.”

“Now, when you join him, where will you stay?”

“He has told me there is a house in Mulberry Farm vacant which he will rent.”

“You can’t live with him. You’ll get a bad name.”

“But he has promised to marry me soon.”

“That’s dangerous. Suppose he finds someone more attractive in the film world and deserts you?”

“He isn’t the type.”

“Don’t trust the male. Don’t allow him.......”

“I’ve only allowed him to kiss me when we went to see a movie.”

“One thing will surely lead to another.”

“I know. When he tried to.........”

Maya said pointing “I think those are mulberry trees.”

Sheri said “Could be as I was told this area also produces silk. I haven’t seen any of those trees. As I was saying even when my step father tried.....”

Maya said to me “Shall I give you some biscuits?”

I said “I can wait some more to have them. You can come and sit with me to see the lake and the new bridge.”

I knew she wouldn’t move and said “What’s there to see a large pit with water? And bridges are the same everywhere. Sheri what will you do after reaching Nunzi?”

“Dick has told me the owner of Mulberry Farms has promised me a job there. We’ll settle here. May be I’ll have one or two children.”

At this time a police van overtook us and stopped. A cop came and looking into the car said to me “We’re Nunzi police. I’m going to book you for abducting a minor. That girl is only 17. Her parents have complained. They were told by somebody at Plaza Mall that she has gone away in the car with this number and now we have you. Sheri give me your identity card.”

He studied it and returned it.

I said “Maya tell the police your story.”

She was silent. I said “We gave her a lift to Nunzi.”

The cop called me out and spoke confidentially “That girl it seems wants to be in films. A tailor by name Dick in Nunzi has been after her and has promised her that he would make her a film actress. Dick has no clout in the movie world. She could become a screen extra at best. But before that those men will take advantage of her.”

I explained how we came into the picture.

The cop said “Though her identity card says she is 19 it seems she is actually 17. The tailor Dick is interested in her but not for himself. He would put her to a broker of cine extras and earn what he pays for it. We know what actually means. We’re going as we’ve found she hasn’t been abducted.”

At the 60 km milestone I saw a fat bearded fellow waiting. I thought he would be over  60.

Sheri shouted “That’s Dick’s father. Thank you for dropping  me here.”

I drove on. I said “I would’ve liked to hear her story uninterrupted by you.”

“She would talk dirty and you would enjoy it. You know my puritan upbringing.”

“Don’t say it. I’ve experienced it. After our wedding you chose to resist even my touching you. It took so much time and I was about to give up.”

“I’m sorry. Now you have your fill.”

I laughed and said “Nowadays I sometimes wish I could sleep alone.”

“Is that why you wanted to listen to dirty talk? You will get what you want whenever you choose.”

“Okay. I’ll give it a respite till we reach the hotel where we will be lodged.”

“I’m game!”

END

.

September 07, 2021 11:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.