10 comments

Fiction Funny Romance

I always get sick during autumn, no matter how great the effort I make to remain healthy, from eating five veggies and five fruits per day to working out vigorously six times a week. I still catch cold with a speed that can only equals that of Usain Bolt and it sticks ferociously like lice to hair shafts. And let me tell you about those famous home remedies, they are a huge waste of time and ingredients.

One autumn day I got tired of staying home waiting to be cured- more by my slow immunity system than by the massive amount of medication of different brands and colors laying everywhere, I decided to go outside even though i felt extremely weak but i remembered the days when I had to leave home for work even when I was extremely ill and somehow i always felt better later on as opposed when I would remain at home; maybe it had something to do with breathing a bit cleaner air, not that my apartment was dirty, used tissues were indeed everywhere, I never scrub the floor or wipe the surfaces when i'm sick but It wasn't dirty, dishes were left unwashed except for one plate and one spoon but I wouldn't say It was dirty no I would be unfair to myself. 

I wanted to walk and see where my feet will take me but they had no imagination of their own. I ended up in the same coffee shop I always go to; the staff were familiar and I prefer familiarity over anything else to be honest it makes me feel more comfortable and at ease. I found only one empty table right next to the window, my favorite spot. I preferred sitting there to stare at the tree opposite the window instead of the couples all around me. The menu had a new line of autumnal drinks which was perfect. I love it when coffee shops offer new menus every new season. There were too many options though, I counted 7 drinks but how was I going to choose what if I made the wrong choice. "Excuse me" I looked up, taken aback as I was never spoken to except by the waitress when she came later to take my order. It was a man and not any man. His hair was a gentle reminder of sunset; I could enjoy watching it without wearing sunglasses. His eyes were portals to the Atlantic ocean. His smell sang elegance and charm. 

"I can't seem to find anywhere to sit, do you mind if I sit at this table as you are alone". 

"not at all have a seat '' I blurted out, and looked down at the menu trying not to look too awkward so he didn't think I was mesmerized by his looks. 

" I apologize…" "I'm sorry you were talking to me" I looked up as would a man in a dark prison cell to a shiny small window "yes I was apologizing for assuming you were alone I didn't mean anything by that". "That's ok, I am alone either way" I said before I could stop myself, he laughed, I looked back to my damned menu feeling aghast. 

"I came for the new drinks, they all look tasty though". 

"yeah" I looked up at him again he was busy reading the menu I allowed myself a couple of seconds of staring and taking in all the details: he had the three day stubble beard, few grey hairs could be seen on both sides of his head. The waitress came: "what can i get you?" "I will have the honey bee latte and a chocolate cake please" "and you Alena? " "I'm gonna have the same drink… no, I will have this one… you know what get me this one… Oh no can I have more time" "of course" the waitress said looking exasperated as always. The handsome man was looking at me amused "I can't decide over a drink" I explained "you should take all your time it's your right you can't make a mistake and regret it the rest of your life" "Thank you sir you totally understand me" I said brightly "call me André" "im Alena" "pleasure to make your acquaintance Alena" "The pleasure is all mine" I had to try really hard to constantly close my mouth but I just couldn't, it would immediately stretch back to a wide smile; let's just say I was grateful I had had my teeth fixed. 

"let me help you with that" he grabbed my menu and I let him. 

"let's see, what about the orange thyme syrup?"

"I like oranges, but thyme no no". 

"Poor thyme he got no luck", He made a sad face, I laughed. 

"What about Apple and carrot drink, don't tell me you hate apples or I will cry". 

"I don't hate them but I don't like the mix" "why? It's healthy". 

"sure, but I'm not here for healthy, I could have that at home… Or Maybe I am I need to get better" "you are sick? " he asked, looking concerned. 

"Yes" I turned my eyes around, perplexed. "You should have said so from the beginning". 

"Well, you could leave if you want to" I was shocked. 

"what? no we need to pick a drink that will help you recover". 

"Oh". 

He looked intently at the menu, the waitress was back with his order. 

"Have you decided yet?". 

I was about to respond when he responded for me "not yet we will call you when she is ready". He said without looking up. The waitress glared at him then at me and left. He didn't notice, and if he did, he didn't mind nor did I; I was having a great time. 

"Dirty chai latte that's your drink, it's perfect " He pronounced. 

"Cause It's dirty" I blurted out

 "what?! It has ginger, cardamom and honey". 

"You are like an old woman disguised as a hot dude". 

"Thank you! I think you're pretty looking lady yourself". 

"I didn't  say you were pretty". 

"You said I was hot". 

"yea your temperature". 

He touched his forehead pretending to be concerned, and grabbed my hand and laid it on his forehead, "what do you think? is it hot doctor? ". 

"it's perfect". I muttered, and removed my hand from his as quickly as I could but ended up accidentally knocking his drink, I was mortified. "I'm so sorry so sorry so sorry". 

"Hey, It's ok accidents happen all the time". The waitress was already bringing the mop to clean the mess up. I excused myself to go to the ladies room and try to shake the awkwardness and the embarrassment I felt. I ended up applying a little bit of makeup and fixing my hair. I was grateful ilI wasn't sneezing or coughing. What if i dropped a mug, It wasn't the end of the world. I went back calm and confident. Our chai and cakes were already on the table and… Crash… I accidentally hit my foot against the table and almost knocked everything over If he didn't catch it on time"woow I modify what I said earlier, accidents happen with u all the time" I felt the blood rushing to my face but I tried to act cool. "Oh no just today, I'm not usually like this" "So I'm making you nervous" he said with a smirk. "no, no, no, not what I meant," He chuckled. "I was kidding". I tried to busy myself drinking the chai which was still boiling hot, and ended up pouring some all over my shirt "Oh dear God, you are like a child". He grabbed one of the napkins and tucked it under my chin, and placed the cake plate away from my elbows so no more accidents happened.

"It was hot" "yea cause it wasn't sitting in the fridge Alena" I felt like he wasn't a stranger anymore as if we knew each other for a long time, I didn't like it "don't act like my mom" I snapped. 

"don't act like a damned child". he said equally exasperated. 

"Alright '. 

"Alright ". 

We sipped our chai in silence. I didn't want to touch the cake to look dignified but It looked delicious, I took a small piece, then another, then another. "It's a good cake," I said, trying to look serious. 

"Did you order it for yourself". 

"It's too late to ask that question now don't you think? ". 

We burst out laughing, which was a bad idea, I started coughing like crazy, He handed me a glass of water and kept patting my back till it subsided. 

"Sorry that was horrible ". 

"That's ok, but next time maybe you should give a warning first". 

"Ha ha ha". 

An ad for a new movie was playing on the tv. "oh I can't wait to watch that movie next Saturday"

 "me too… are you going with your boyfriend" he asked casually. 

"I don't have a boyfriend…. Do you have a girlfriend" I asked non casually and immediately blushed. 

"I don't have a girlfriend… do you wanna go see it together… It would be more fun" 

"yes, why not!" 

"I like you and I wanna go out with you on a second dare, this feels almost like a first date" he continued. 

"I would love a second date with you" 

We were both smiling like dorks, and kids…. that's how I met your father. 

October 16, 2020 22:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Korede Ojelade
10:58 Oct 22, 2020

Witty, funny and engaging! However watch out for punctuation and spelling.

Reply

S C
13:34 Oct 22, 2020

Tnks for your feedback :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Andrew Krey
22:56 Oct 20, 2020

I liked your story, it was a good account of a first encounter, and had a good final sentence. I noticed there were a few punctuation errors in the text - for your next story I'd focus on capitalisation. There were a couple of occasions when "I" was in lowercase, and the beginning of sentences weren't capitalised either. For speech, every new speaker should also begin on a new line - this makes it clearer who is speaking within your story. I hope the feedback is useful. Happy writing

Reply

S C
13:34 Oct 22, 2020

Thanks for your feedback! Much appreciated :)

Reply

Andrew Krey
14:29 Oct 22, 2020

You're welcome

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sue Marsh
16:04 Oct 19, 2020

I loved the storyline, it reminded me of the times I used to get really bad colds, I lived in Buffalo, NY. I could bank on at least one bad cold a year. Usually in the autumn or early winter. I discovered later I am allergic to goldenrod. I moved to Texas most Texans me included have this crazy allergy Cedar Fever. Can't win for losing I suppose. Thank you for your compliment

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hanane Eddoual
14:59 Oct 18, 2020

I loved it!! Good job !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Asmae Htalal
07:00 Oct 17, 2020

I can never get tired of reading your incredible stories. I'd definitely love to read more and more 😍

Reply

S C
15:01 Oct 18, 2020

Thank you ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:20 Jul 28, 2021

Hey, tell as many people as you can that Reedsy's updating this Thursday-Friday and to remember your password, because after it updates you'll need to know it to prove it's you and we don't want people getting locked out. So yeah. Please please PLEASE tell others about this!!! (from Dhwani Jain)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.