0 comments

Contemporary Holiday Happy

Doseok had been working hard this month. He had gone to a Christmas party on the sixth of December and had been given many opportunities for different jobs. He had taken as many as he could because he felt that he should make a special effort on Christmas. He loved to bring joy to people and that was why he chose to be a musician. 


Doseok had to turn down multiple jobs because, starting from the eighteenth he would be going on a short tour as a backup dancer for a group of semi-famous musicians. He had been approached at the Christmas party by a well known director that wanted to gather a group of talented entertainers that he felt didn't get the amount of attention that they deserved. Doseok had taken the offer since it had been the first of the night so he felt obligated to join the tour around the states. 


It is the twenty-third of December now and the tour is almost over. The two most important performances were scheduled for Christmas Eve and Christmas day. Now, this wouldn't be too bad. A week on tour isn't too bad for an entertainer but, Doseok had a tendency to put his all into everything that he did.


Doseok had already been working on choreography's, producing songs, singing, rapping and some special presents for his close friends. On the tour, he had also overworked himself. Staying up late working on the dances and songs. Helping the staff clean up and even helping them plan out costumes since he was pretty well known for his fashion sense. 


He was having trouble keeping up now since he had stayed up so late. He wanted to do an especially good job on the last two performances but he was worried he would't be able to. Right now, Doseok is sitting in front of a mirror in a dressing room. He was getting his makeup done for their Pre-Christmas Eve performance.


"Is there anything you want me to do or do you just want the standard Christmas make-up?" His make-up artist asked. Doseok smiled at her with his eyes closed since she was doing his eye-shadow.


"Just do whatever you feel looks good." His make-up artist smiled and did exactly what he had suggested. She didn't over-do it but she lightly outlined his eyes with black so that they would be more visible. She added a dark shade of green on the triangle edge of his eye. 


When she was done she tapped him on the shoulder and he opened his eyes. He smiled ad thanked her for her wonderful work. She smiled and then watched him find another staff member to tell him what he could do to help. 


"We've already told you, you don't need to help. You work enough already. We've got it under control. Thank you though."


"Oh come on. There's got to be something that I can do to help you guys!"


"There's really nothing! Just take a nap! rest. You need it." The staff member said. Doseok finally relented and found an empty chair. He dragged it to an empty corner of the room and sat on the chair. He leaned his head back and stretched hi long legs till they were straight. He closed his eyes and sighed before slowly drifting off.


"Excuse me, Mr. Jung, it's almost time for the performance." One of the younger staff member gently shook him awake.


"Oh. Thank you for telling me." Doseok said. He slowly stood up, easily standing quite a few inches taller than the young boy. Doseok walked towards the stage and stopped between the curtains. He was standing next to a few other performers who were ready. 


His body was still very tired but the nap had done some good. He to some of the performers and they were all shooed onto the stage a few minutes later. 


After the performance Doseok made his way back stage and immediately dropped onto an empty couch. He was having trouble breathing and the staff immediately noticed. A staff member grabbed one of the breathing masks that they had on the wall for emergencies and ran towards Doseok. She turned it on and gently put it on his face. He would've refused it but he really didn't have the strength. 


More staff members came and they gently carried him into a private room. A few of the other performers followed them into the room in worry. The girl took the breathing mask off for a moment. Doseoks eyes were closed and he was no longer fully conscious. 


"Those are tight pants. It's probably part of the reason he's having such a hard time breathing. We'd better just take them off." One of the health staffs said. They gently ushered the other artists out and closed the door. They started to pull his shoes and socks off.


"No. I'm okay." Doseok quietly breathed out. He tried to lift his head but another staff member took that opportunity to lay a folded shirt under his head and then gently press his head back down onto the shirt. He really couldn't do anything more so he let them pull the tight pants off and it did help him a bit. He could breathe a little better and the breathing mask helped a lot.


The staff had sent Doseok straight to his hotel room and he had fallen asleep quickly after that. He had a terrible nightmare that made him regret falling asleep.


I was walking through a crowd and found myself being pushed onto the stage. I couldn't resist them. After a few moments I found myself standing on the stage facing a massive crowd of people. There was a problem though. They all wore black and something else I noticed made me feel even more terrified. They were all me. Every single one of them had my face. They were wearing different clothes but they were still all me. It was dark. 


I was approached by a staff member who also looked exactly like me. He told me to start performing because the crowd was waiting.I really didn't have a choice so, I started to dance and, almost immediately, the crowd started to boo and throw things at me. I couldn't stop dancing though. I continued to dance. I danced for at least an hour before I could barely breathe anymore and I finally collapsed to the floor. Everything was blurry now but I could see the crowd yelling at me. When I finally passed out my eyes slowly opened.


Doseok was horrified by the nightmare. He sat up in the bed and stared into the dark room. He was tired. He wanted to do his best but he was too worn out. He wasn't sure how he was going to do the last two performances. He looked at the clock on his side table. Three in the morning. He sighed. He just wanted peace and quite for the rest of this holiday.


* * *

The next day, Doseok got dressed to go to the rehearsal but he stopped as he was putting on his Christmas tie because he got a text message. He picked up his phone and checked it. 


"Stay at the hotel today. Rest. You can give your all for the performance tomorrow."


It was from the director. He smiled lightly. He didn't want to take the break but he knew that it was best he did. He took off all of the clothes and put on some sweats and a loose T-Shirt. He laid back down in bed and let himself drift off to sleep. 


* * *

On Christmas day, his performance was the best out of all the rest. He was glad that he had taken the break. He took a flight back home and unpacked his stuff before going to his studio and sitting in his chair. It had been a very eventful December. He smiled and picked up a present off of the keyboard in the corner of the room. It was addressed to him from Santa. He smiled and opened it. 


Meet me at my house tonight at 6:00 - Jun


Doseok smiled. I guess Christmas wasn't quite over yet.

December 20, 2020 21:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.