SHE DARE NOT

Submitted into Contest #94 in response to: Start your story with someone accepting a dare.... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Drama

He decided he would not let his anger cool. He would challenge the woman who had ruined his political life. She would have to accept his dare! This is how it started:

The video was on. It showed a middle-aged lady in a sari seated facing a tall white man in a brown suit. It started abruptly the male voice saying “......for execution of the deep underground tunnel project to our company. We are gearing up to complete the project well before the planned inauguration date.”

The female voice now said “We have full confidence in your ability.”

The man’s voice now got lower and he said almost in a whisper “Madam, about the other matter. We have arranged for her to travel to the 3 locations on specified dates. Details of the hosts in the various cities have been provided in this envelope.(He hands over an envelope which the lady accepts.) You can be sure Tanya will be taken care of.”

She accepts it and says “Thanks.”

It was now 6 PM and it was dark. In dim light two people were watching the video. One was the woman in sari Meera, and the other was an elderly man Fred, a former legislator. Fred switched off the video display which had come on with date, day, and time.

Fred said “Madam, this video was made by a detective firm and cost me a lot of money. Nothing in it is doctored. It proves you were guilty of accepting illegal gratification from the foreign firm. The rest of the video merely authenticates location and so on. This video provides enough proof of your culpability. I will use it to get even with you for having ousted me totally out of politics.”

“But Fred, I was then a member of the ruling party and the Chief Minister had then felt that you should be ousted from the party. I did what I had been asked to do.”

“What you did humiliated me and I, who had been a stalwart in legislative circles, had to get out of politics.”

She was silent. He said “I want reparation.”

She asked “What do you expect and how do you plan to take it?”

He laughed and said “Not so fast!”

“Are you going to blackmail me?”

“No. That won’t suffice for the humiliation I’ve suffered.”

“What do you seek for it?”

He said “I’m coming to it. Where’s your daughter Tanya now?”

Meera was silent. He prompted her when she asked “Why do you ask about her? She is nowhere in the picture.”

He laughed and said “She will come in. Remember you humiliated me and I want to take it out on you.”

His menacing look frightened her and she said “You know she is unmarried and lives with me in my official residence. What has she got to do with my official dealings?”

He laughed and said “I’m coming to it. An eye for an eye as they say!”

She was alarmed and said “I still don’t understand what you’re trying to say.”

He said “Don’t look so worried. I’m not looking to violate your daughter.” He again paused and said “If you don’t comply with what I’ll ask, the video we saw will reach the media first. I know of your ambition to become Chief Minister (CM) and that you are now within reach of it. That ambition will be shattered by my releasing this video.”

There was now a pause to talks as refreshments were served. He said “Please partake of my hospitality despite your having humiliated me.”

She took only the tea and there was sullen silence. After the tea, she said “You haven’t still told me what you seek in exchange for the video.”

He was silent and then said “You must agree to a show of indecency.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Your daughter Tanya runs a boutique and is also a model. I want to see her nude.”

“I’m amazed at your request. You can’t be serious.”

“I’ve never been more serious. You exposed me and destroyed my political credibility. Remember that.”

She said “Your proposal will be a violation of my daughter. I will never allow it.”

“Again I say I don’t seek to violate your daughter. She is a beauty and has been seen in clothes of designers in India and abroad. So what if I asked for a private show of her assets as God given?”

“Ask for something else.”

“Unfortunately that is the only thing which will make me withhold the video.”

“I won’t consent to it.”

“The video is going to the media. You can go home now and prepare for surrendering it since you’ll be out of office.”

She got up in great anger and went towards the door. Then she came back and sat down as he watched.

She said “I’m so close to becoming CM. I really don’t want to miss it. Let me consult Tanya. Meanwhile keep the video on hold.” She walked out in great anger.

Meera drove home. It was now dark, and walking in she sat on a sofa cursing her luck. Tanya now came in carrying her tennis racket. Seeing her mom sitting in the dark she switched on the light.

Tanya said “I could play only two games.” Seeing the misery on her mom’s face, Tanya felt there was something wrong and asked her about it. Though a veteran politician, she couldn’t mask her feelings and nodded.

Tanya said “Why don’t you share it?” Seeing her mother silent, Tanya said “Mom, you’ve been a politician a long time and have masked feelings many times. You know you will be the next CM. You must face up to problems.”

Nudged by Tanya, Meera blurted out her talk with Fred. Tanya didn’t bat an eyelid and said “Mom it is a minor problem. I don’t mind if he sees me nude.”

Meera said “I’m shocked at your opinion. We women shouldn’t be seen nude by men.”

“Mom I was in America and saw many female models. They posed topless even when the male dress designers were present. I’ve also modelled close to near-nude.”

Meera was silent. Tanya continued “Your becoming CM is important. That fellow Fred, is old and can only perhaps ogle without being able to you know, you know. He was married and has a son. He surely knows how empty a nude female will look. I’ll start my show for him with a transparent bathrobe and then blind the damned voyeur with my assets. It takes guts to be seen nude by a male. I have the guts. Tell Fred to fix a date and time over the next two days. I’ll be ready. Or shall I speak to him?”

“Let me think it over.”

That evening, Meera called Fred and said “Your requirement will be met. Give me a date and time.”

“Today is the 15th. Make it on the 17th at 6 PM.” He specified a government guesthouse which he said should be devoid of guests. All that was agreed to. Fred entered the guesthouse on the 16th PM and spent the night there. He returned home early on the 17th. When Meera arrived with Tanya in the afternoon of the 17th the place was empty. Standing there she got a call from Fred asking her to come to his house. Dropping Tanya at her home Meera drove to Fred’s place.

He welcomed her and said “Meera I have second thoughts. I’m sorry for having embarrassed you and Tanya. I had no intention of viewing the show of indecency. I liked your daughter’s guts. I’m sure she’ll make a good politician some day if you instal her.”

Meera was struck dumb at what Fred was saying. What he said further amazed her: “My son is now working in the USA. You’ve seen him. He is handsome and is not married. I suggest you choose him to be your son-in-law. I have destroyed the video which would have caused you problems.”

She was silent. He said “I wish you become CM soonest.”

She said “Thanks for your wishes. I agree to all you have suggested.”

END


May 15, 2021 09:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.