After that Man with the Top Hat!

Submitted into Contest #133 in response to: Write about someone going on a search for a specific type (or brand) of chocolate.... view prompt

1 comment

Fiction Funny

“Sorry, ma’am. We’re all out of the Kromer chocolates.” The store clerk said.

“That can’t be? Don’t you have any in the back or something?” Elena held out her hands, pleading.

“Sorry. That brand’s not the most popular. We only get shipments once a month. Though that man before you seemed to be quite happy we still had that one box left.”

“Before me? How long ago did he come in?”

“Why, not two minutes before you barged right in. If your fast enough, you might just be able to wave him down.” The clerk pointed at the door. “He’s a slender old man wearing a top hat; you can’t miss him.”

Elena dashed out of the candy shop with mad speed. She quickly scanned the passing crowd until she saw him; The old man with the black top hat. She needed to get that chocolate box he was holding.

“Sir! Hey, wait!” Elena tried flagging the man down, but he was too far away. Elena was working against the crowd, but she was slowly getting closer.

He was a mere block away before Elena was met by a wall of pedestrians. They were all (understandably) patiently waiting for the cross sign to light up.

Elena didn’t have the time for this.

“ ‘Scuse me. Pardon me.” Elena shuffled past the blockade of people and stumbled onto the road. She was immediately met by a car that screeched to a halt not more than two feet from her. The driver honked. Elena raised her hand in an attempt to say ‘Sorry.’ As she ran the gap getting to the other side of the road, she was accompanied by the shouts and honks of the waiting drivers.

Elena had made it across, but she had lost sight of the top hat man.

By now, she was standing in the town’s square. People were going along their merry carefree way as Elena scanned each of their faces and headwear. She noticed, in front of the water fountain with a globe inside, a man playing his violin. Without a second thought, Elena ran up to the violinist. She didn’t think about it at the time, but she knew he was playing a sped-up version of Hungarian March No.5.

“Excuse me, sir. I’m in a rush. Have you seen a man with a top hat pass by?” Elena moved her hand over her head as if it would help the violinist better visualize it.

The violinist didn’t talk, nor did he stop playing. He instead motioned to the floor where there laid open his violin case that contained a few crumpled bills and some loose change. Letting out a more than an audible sigh, Elena reached into her wallet, showed the guy a twenty-dollar bill, and tossed it in his case. The violinist gave her a large smile then motioned over his shoulder.

Elena took a breath before breaking into a run once more.

I can’t believe what I’m doing for a Kromer box of chocolates.

Elena didn’t like the chocolates nor chocolate in general, but love trumped any desire to quit the pursuit, turn around, and instead buy a dozen roses.

After running for almost ten minutes, Elena had run onto the beach’s boardwalk. It was there she finally caught sight of the top hat man, but this time he wasn’t walking; He was riding a bike. The box of Kromer chocolates was sitting comfortably in his bike’s basket.

You had to be kidding me!

Elena looked where the old man was coming from and saw a bike rental shop.

“How much for a bike?” Elena was out of breath the moment she reached the counter.

Elena sped out of the shop—50 bucks lighter—on a bike that could work on both sidewalk and sand. She huffed and puffed as she pedaled with all her might to catch up to the old man who wasn’t going fast, but had a good head start on her.

“Hey, Old man!” Elena shouted, but the man in the top hat didn’t stop.

Remember why you’re doing this. Remember why you’re doing this. Elena reminded herself as sweat ran down her face and her lips cried out for water.

The sun once so high in the sky was starting to set by the time Elena had closed the gap between her and the man. It was getting late, so not too many people were in the way of an out-of-breath sweat-drenched woman frantically pedaling after an old man.

The man took a sudden and sharp right turn from the boardwalk onto the pier.

He’s slowing down. Thank Christ!

Elena didn’t know how much left she had in her. She felt like she was one slight incline away from passing out and falling off her bike.

When the top hat man reached the end of the pier, he slowly pressed down on his brakes and came to a complete stop. Swiftly and gracefully, he took the box of chocolates from his basket, walked over and sat on the bench looking over the water.

Elena was less than graceful when she dismounted. She slowed a little and tried getting off, but her pants leg caught on the gear and she stumbled forward to the ground. Despite the pain from hitting the hardwood, she felt like she was finally able to catch her breath.

“It’s beautiful here, isn’t it?” The man said.

Elena looked up and saw the top hat man was sitting on the bench in a way that allowed space for a second person. When she got up and walked over to him, he didn’t look at her. Elena considered sitting down, but decided against it. She just kept standing, looking out at the sparkling water reflecting the sunset.

“Mary loved it here.” The man continued.

“I can see why,” Elena said. “It’s beautiful.”

“Mary also quite loved these god-awful coconut chocolates.” The old man said. “But I’m guessing you weren’t chasing me down all this time to eat these yourself, right?”

“No.” Elena shook her head.

Ha, figured. What’s their name?”

“Selena.”

“Selena? What a lovely name.” The man tapped the chocolate box three times, once for each syllable. “Welp, the way I see it, you need these more than me so…” The man handed Elena his box of chocolates.

Elena hesitated at first, but then graciously took the box. She bowed and thanked the man who gave her a small smile and wished her luck. Elena, with a new burst of energy and hope, got back on her bike and started riding away as the man in the top hat looked across the glistening twinkling sea.

February 18, 2022 03:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Sharon Hancock
02:23 Feb 25, 2022

I like the way you made this Suspenseful and exciting. Alena is one determined person! The top hat is fun imagery, too. I like how she gave up her $20 …seemed like she wouldn’t be able to purchase the chocolate if she ever found it, but it all worked out. 😄

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.