1 comment

Fiction Romance

A ring symbolizes eternal love from my heart to your heart. My dearest Angel, my love since forever, this ring I found among your belongings was the first sign of my love for you. The first time I put this ring on your finger is the first time I told you I love you.

I look at this ring and I still see the seventeen year old girl I fell in love with. The beautiful brown hair, hazel eyes and amazing smile. Angel was and still is the only one for me.

In the years me and Angel have been together I gave her other forms of jewelry that symbolizes my eternal love for my beautiful Angel but there is nothing like the first ring. I thought Angel lost the ring. In the back of my mind, I believed Angel put this ring in a forgotten place. I was wrong.

Holding this ring in my hand I am rediscovering something I lost, my love for Angel. I lost sight of what's important to me. Angel has always been the most important person in my life but lately I have lost my way. I've been trying to find ways to help me reconnect with my beautiful Angel.

I remember the first time I saw Angel. It was a beautiful spring day much like this day. I was walking to the store when out of nowhere this beautiful girl with the most captivating hazel eyes bumped into me. I was only fifteen but I knew deep in my heart she was one the for me. She smiled at me. I was taken in. She introduced herself as Angel. A fitting name for a beautiful girl.

She walked away from me. The next day I saw her again across the street from my house. I walked to her and introduced myself as Liam. I apologized to Angel for what happened the day before. She also apologized. We ended up talking that day for a long time. We had so much in common. We liked the same music, food and ice cream. I asked her out. She said yes. We went out that Friday night.

So, Friday came along. I was excited for my date with Angel. I dressed in my best clothes. At 7pm I went to pick up Angel. Before I got to her home, I saw her coming out. My jaw dropped when I saw Angel.

She was wearing a beautiful green dress with matching shoes. Her hair was done in beautiful long waves. I didn't know what to say to her. I was speechless. I finally mustered up enough courage to say hi to Angel. I told her she looks beautiful. In that soft voice I love so much she said thank you.

I didn't have enough money to take Angel out to dinner so I packed a picnic basket with sandwiches. I prayed she liked what I did for her. I took Angel to the lake for a spring picnic. I was nervous. It wasn't much but when I saw Angel's face I was relieved and happy. I laid the blanket out and helped Angel sit down. She smiles at me when I put the sandwiches in front of her. She said thank you and begins to eat.

I watch Angel as she begins to talk. Her words are beautiful. I remember every word she said. My Angel's soft spoken words took me in. I loved talking to her. I don't know what went wrong between us. After our little picnic I took Angel home. She told me she had a fun time. I asked Angel for another date. She said yes.

On our second date I took Angel to the annual town carnival. We had so much fun. We rode every ride, ate so much cotton candy and I even won Angel a teddy bear. That night I realized I wanted to laugh and smile with Angel all the time. So, I asked Angel to be my girlfriend. She said yes.

The next two years went by in a flash. Angel and I were together all the time. My love for her grew. I didn't tell Angel I love her. I waited until the night of our senior prom. The night came. I dressed in a black tuxedo. Angel was a vision in blue. She took my breathe away. We went to the prom. We danced the night away. It was a night I wouldn't forget but I had one more thing to do. I took Angel outside and before I lost my nerve, I told Angel I love her and I gave her theming I hold in my hand.

I put the ring on her finger. Angel told me she loves me. We kissed and the rest is history. Me and Angel got married. The happiest day of our lives. Our lives are comfortable. We go to work each day, come home, eat dinner. It's not the same as before. I miss the way we use to be. I miss our talks. I miss Angel's beautiful smile and her laughter. I miss her wearing this ring, the first symbol of my love for my beautiful Angel.

I lost my love for Angel, holding this ring, looking at how beautiful the ring is, I want to rediscover what I miss and love about Angel. I'm not going to lose Angel. I'm going to do everything in my power to make this right with Angel.

How did I miss this? How did I let so much time slip away? Two answers come to mind. One is work and the second is feeling comfortable in my relationship with Angel. I always believed we alright as a couple. I was wrong. We fell into a routine that dominated our lives. The magic, the surprise is gone. I have to get my Angel back. I can't go on living my life where my beautiful Angel is not smiling. I've seen the way she looks. She's not the same happy girl I fell in love with and it's all my fault.

I take the ring determined to put a smile on my Angel's face. I'm going to recreate my first date with Angel. I'm going to surprise Angel. I pack the same picnic basket I made for our first date. I grab the ring. Before I leave, I write little notes to Angel and leave them around the house. In the notes I tell Angel I love her. She's beautiful and to come to the place where we had our first date.

I leave the house and head to the lake. Today is the day I'm going to make my Angel smile again. I arrive at the lake and go to the same spot where we had out first date. I spread the blanket out and lay the food out. Now, I wait for my Angel to come.

There she is the same beautiful Angel I met all those years ago. How did I miss her beauty? She stops in front of me. "Liam, what's going on?" I take out the ring and I show it to Angel. She looks at the ring and smiles.

"My beautiful Angel. I found the ring which I thought you lost and forgot about. I was wrong on that part. Looking at this ring I discovery something about myself, about us and that is how much I love you. You mean the world to me. I forgot all about you and what made you special. Angel I'm sorry that I haven't treated you the way I should. From now until the day we leave this world I vow to honor and love you. To make you smile and laugh. Please wear the ring again."

I put the ring on Angel's finger. She looks at me with that beautiful smile I love so much. "Oh Liam, I love you so much. Every day from now until the end." We kiss.

April 05, 2023 20:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Irene Duchess
21:02 Apr 11, 2023

Awww, this was such a sweet story, Melinda. Thanks for sharing! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.