0 comments

Christian Fiction Friendship


     "Thanks a lot." Steve stood and clenched his fists as he reached for the door handle.

     "Wait man," said Martin.


     "Forget it," Steve said, just before the door slammed shut. Martin broke loose from Sami's embrace and sprinted towards the door. He stepped out into the frigid night air, but it was too late. Steve was pulling out onto the highway at a high rate of speed.


Martin shook his head. Steve had definitely gotten the wrong impression, and Martin was at a loss as to what to do next. Steve's girlfriend Sami was a knockout. In the past, he had practically ignored her when she had flirted with him. But this time... How did he know that Sami was going to grab him by the neck and passionately kiss him just as Steve rounded the corner? Sami had a reputation of flirting with other guys. Steve was being naive to think that Sami was being faithful to him. How many times had he and Steve had this conversation? Two, maybe three times? Love is blind, and in Steve's case, anyone could see that he had given his heart to a flirtatious young woman who had no intentions of a serious relationship. Martin felt helpless. He would need to talk with Steve regarding Sami once more. But it was not to be..


    The police had found Steve's Mustang wrapped around a large tree off highway 319. Nothing but a scrap pile of twisted metal and billowing smoke. No drugs or alcohol were believed to have contributed to the crash, but Steve was travelling at a high rate of speed and failed to properly negotiate a curve. The following morning, Martin stared at the television as the news anchor described the horrific scene, while the word FATALITY flashed across the television screen. Martin's stomach lurched. Sickened and dazed, he slapped himself, hoping to wake from this hellish nightmare. Unfortunately, there was no escape from the mind numbing pain that followed. How could this have happened? Martin's girlfriend Jodi was working on the night of the accident. Martin couldn't help but wonder, if Jodi had been with him that night,   would Sami have had the nerve to stick her claws into him? Would Steve still be alive?


      As Steve's closest friend, Steve's mother asked Martin to speak at his funeral. "Steve was an amazing guy," Martin began. Hands shaking, face pale and tear stained; Martin continued with his eulogy. Martin spoke of Steve's good natured humor, his free spirit, and his willingness to help anyone in need. But then… Everyone was shocked when in his inconsolable state, Martin blurted out, "Steve might still be alive if it weren't for that harlot." Sami sat stoically, while a quiet hush came over the crowd. Martin stepped down from the podium and made his way back to his seat.


      After several moments, a tall lanky man with thinning gray hair and a white beard made his way up front. He introduced himself as Pastor Albert Morrison from Graceland Church...Steve's church from childhood. The pastor led the mourners in a stanza or two of Amazing Grace. Martin remembered Steve talking about his faith from time to time, but it seemed so long ago. The pastor shared how Steve put his faith in Christ as a young boy, but like many of us, his faith waxed and waned at times. The pastor then clearly and methodically shared the gospel message with all who would listen. For God gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16. At the conclusion of the service, Martin sought out the pastor. He was shaken to his core. He shared with the pastor how thankful he was to have had Steve's friendship since childhood, but he did not know how to go on from here. Pastor Morrison listened with a sympathetic ear. He let Martin talk for a while before praying that God would give him comfort in the coming days. Martin was grateful for the pastor's care and concern. 


     Over the next few months, Martin stayed in touch with the man, seeking counsel and support as often as possible. Ultimately, Martin's life spun out of control despite his best efforts to the contrary. "Have you been drinking, Martin?" asked Jodi. Martin staggered toward her, eyes out of focus and blood shot. "Martin, I've never seen you this way." Jodi's heart ached for Martin, but she had no clue how to help him. Martin was sleeping in the bedroom one late afternoon, when Jodi spotted Pastor Morrison's business card on Martin's desk. She picked up the card and dialed his number. Pastor Morrison's secretary answered. "I'll send him right over," she said.


     The doorbell rang. Startled, Martin moved sheepishly toward the door. As pastor Morrison came through the doorway, Martin's face went white as a sheet. "What are you doing here, pastor?"

     "Call me Albert," he answered. "Jodi called," he continued. "I've come to check on you."

     "You've come for nothing then," said Martin. "I'm fine."

       "You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time, son. You look like you've been drinking for days. You need help soon, or someone will be delivering your eulogy next." Martin shook with emotion as Albert embraced him tight. "Come on son, let's get you some help." Within days, Pastor Morrison was able to arrange grief counseling with one of his colleagues for Martin.


     It wasn't that Martin didn't believe in God, but he had never been what you would call religious. Upon receiving counseling he began to realize that he was in need of a personal relationship with his Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. After receiving the free gift of salvation, Martin slowly began to show signs of regaining his life; however, he would have to go on without Jodi. She would marry a doctor.


Eventually, he received his Master's of Divinity, dedicating his life to helping others realize their need for God, the same way Pastor Morrison and others had done for him. He too would marry.


Years later, Martin would look up to see Sami standing in his office. Ever since his salvation, Martin had regretted saying those soul crushing words regarding Sami at Steve's funeral, and had begged God for a chance to make things right with her. When he finally reached out to her, she had moved out West. "You are a sight for sore eyes," said Martin. The two talked for hours. Sami explained how she had left town months after Steve's funeral; how her feelings of shame and guilt had overwhelmed her, and how she had felt responsible for Steve's death. She too longed for reconciliation with Martin, and with God. She and Martin prayed and Sami entered into a personal relationship with her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Tears were shed as the couple embraced, each apologizing to the other for their past indiscretions and careless words. Neither would ever forget Steve, and both would always be thankful for the forgiveness they received, first from God, and then from each other. Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me.

November 24, 2021 01:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.