Living Bomb

Submitted into Contest #7 in response to: Write a story about a person longing for family.... view prompt

5 comments

General

So many people take advantage of life's many pleasures. Accepting all the gifts they are given without really opening them, without really appreciating them. People here have a love-hate relationship with pretty much anything that really matters in our world, and they don't even realize it.

"My family is so weird. I wish my parents were like yours," They'll say, when really, deep deep down they would never trade their family for anything.

Of course, they don't realize this. In fact, I'm not sure they ever will. Not for a long time. To them family is just that... family. They won't see it as more, as loving comfort and support, until they experience something that makes them think for themselves.

These people are the ones that make me so furious all of the time. I see them, and I envy them. I watch them and I yearn to swap places if only for a day.

One day.

Just one...

But I know that will never happen. And I'm aware that I can never live a life like theirs. I'm too dangerous.

-.-.-

My house is a steel shed.

My yard has top-notch security.

My family will never happen.

It makes me sad sometimes how lonely I am. I would cry to pass the hours, but I know that weeping will just make the situation more real. It always does.

This cage is my house.

Those guards are my front, back, and side yards.

"Stop dreaming. You and I both know you will never have a normal life," they say. "Why dream if you know all hope is lost. Do us both a favor and forget it."

I try. I really do, but It's hard.

Hard to accept my situation.

And hard to not imagine what a world where I was an ordinary human would be like.

"Men! we have a code red. I repeat we have a code red. this is not a drill. This is not a drill..." The alarm pierced through my skull and into my heart.

A code red.

I panicked.

A code red.

no. no. no. no.

Guards rushed into my room. My cage.

no. no. no. no.

They grabbed me by the arms and pulled me forward.

"no. no. no. no." I cried.

"Yes." The leader said softly. There was a flare alit in his eyes. It burned an burned but it needed more kindle more things to burn. "Yes."

"But... but." I began

"But what?" he laughed, mocking me. "You want a family? Well, you and I both know that's never going to happen. It never can, and it never will. It was only a matter of time until you were needed out on the battlefield and you know it."

I did know it. I was their best weapon but by helping them, I would be killing myself.

I bowed my head and let them take me. I let them drag me all the way across the country to where the battle was being fought. I did not know why they were fighting, just that they were and that I would be the one to end it all.

A tear slid down my cheek, and I allowed myself to cry. To fully accept my situation. The fact that I wasn't ever going to get anything I'd ever dreamed about.

I was going to die.

-.-.-

As I stood in the center of the battlefield, I sobbed some more. This really was the end. I'd always known I was created just for this purpose. I was a living walking bomb. If one bullet were to hit my body, everything for thousands of miles would blow to smithereens. Including me.

I was going to kill not only myself but all of these innocent people who believed they were fighting for a cause. People who had families that, at this moment, they finally realize are far more important than they'd thought.

Families who would miss them.

Mourn for them.

Cry for them.

Nobody would do that for me.

-.-.-

My body shook when the first bullet hit.

I felt my whole body vibrate and I quietly apologized to all the people I would destroy today. All the families I would leave heartbroken.

Then I obliterated everything.


September 14, 2019 19:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Cam Croz
18:00 Sep 20, 2019

I hope anybody reading this enjoyed it! If you have any feedback please give.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Noel Thomas
04:03 Jan 09, 2020

You did a great job at pulling the reader into the story! It took a bit for me to realize what was going on and then I was captivated. I loved the honesty through it all. Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ashlyn Leung
02:47 Dec 06, 2019

This is an amazing story. I love the beginning that addresses another little thing that may be viewed as insignificant, but is really the just another truth we don't acknowledge because we know that we do it ourselves.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Trevor Pence
18:41 Nov 26, 2019

this seemed really short for 1000+ words...…..

Reply

Show 0 replies
Trevor Pence
18:38 Nov 26, 2019

wow. I read this on thanksgiving 2019. good timing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.