~The Perfect Wife, The Perfect Meal~

Submitted into Contest #100 in response to: Write about a character preparing a meal for somebody else.... view prompt

11 comments

Horror Thriller Suspense

My name is Sofia Maria Thomas, I am twenty nine year old and I live in Oakley Hills. I live in a 2 bedroom house with my husband James Enzo Thomas. We have the perfect life here in Oakley Hill and tonight is Jame special anniversary company dinner, it is going to be a night to forget. 

I was in the kitchen chopping up the carrots and the onions to put in the pan. Some of the guests have already arrived, tonight it was going to be James Boss (Mr.Roger), Kelly (James Boss' wife), Jen, Mark, Rami and Peggy.  Peggy entered the kitchen with the brightest smile. “So dear housewife Sofia, where is the wine at?” She asked as she began looking through the cabinets. Ah Peggy Grant an evil snake, she was sleeping with Mr.Roger and poor Kelly had no idea. “Sorry Peggy, we don’t have wine, only beer for the guys.” I said as she rolled her eyes and stomped out. I began putting the carrots and onions in the hot grease pan.Jen then came in and asked if I needed help. I gave her a smile and nodded. Jen is a tough cookie but alway a sweetheart towards me, she said she found everyone exhausting and a pain in the behind but me. She said I took her heart away with my doll looks. She smiled and took over the onions and carrots. Rami and Mark then entered the kitchen as soon as I began cutting up the meat. “Hey guys do you need anything, dinner should be ready in just a few.” I said as Rami sat on the counter. “I just was wondering where your husband is Sofia, I haven’t seen him since he came in here?” Mark said as he leaned on the counter Rami was sitting on. “Oh don’t worry Mark, James will be back soon he just needed to go to the store for a few things.” I said as he nodded. “Rami don’t forget to grab me a beer, I am going to talk with Roger.” Mark said as he left the kitchen. “Rami, you do know you don’t always have to listen to him.” Jen said as Rami got off the counter. “He is my husband Jen, so you worry about yours...oh wait you're still a window…..” Rami said as she grabbed a beer and left. Mark and Rami relationship is based on toxicity whatever Mark gets he takes and Rami obeys. I scoffed as Jen gave me a smile. “Here let me help.” Jen said as she grabbed the meat and put it in the onions and carrots. “Jen you never talk about your husband? May I ask what happened?” I said as Jen chuckled a bit. “Now Sofia I think you know how I became a window.” She said as she pecked my cheek.I coughed and began cutting tomatoes as Jen cooked the meat with the carrots and onions. 

A few minutes passed, Jen needed to go talk to Kelly for a bit leaving me alone with the soup. The meat was ready with the carrots and onions to be put into the soup. I would just need to cook the tomatoes and a little bit more potato skins. Peggy then burst in with a beer in her hands. She was already drunk and hasty. “Oh well if it isn’t the housewife, is the food almost done housewife!” She shouted. I chuckled to myself and nodded. “Yeah I just need a few more potato skins to finish the soup, could you help me in the back.” I said as she groaned. After I got the potato skin I began the soup. It was nearly done and ready to be served. As I was putting everything together Mr.Roger came in. “Ah Mrs. Thomas sorry to bother you but have you seen your husband or Peggy by any chance?” He said as I smiled. “Ah why yes Mr.Roger, poor Peggy passed out from all the drinking and I got her a lift home. As for my husband, he called and said he will be here soon because he is stuck in traffic but to eat without him.” I said as Mr. Roger nodded. I made everyone's plates and headed out to place them on the table. Once everyone sat down and dug in and began conversation.They were enjoying the food and complimenting me many times. I couldn’t help myself and laughed. Everyone stopped eating and looked at me confused. “What is so funny Mrs.Thomas?” Kelly asked confusedly. I looked at Jen and saw her smirking as she kept eating. “Oh Kelly dear if only you knew.” I said as Mr.Roger let go of Kelly's hand. “I think Sofia already lost it.” Rami said as she looked at Mark. Jen then started laughing and said, “Man oh Man do I love doing this again.” Mr. Roger slammed the table and shouted, “SOFIA YOU BETTER STATE WHAT IS SO FUNNY OR SO HELP YOUR HUSBAND JOB.” I stood up and smirked at Mr.Roger. “Well Mr.Roger if you must know the soup you're eating well it is made with onions, potato skins, tomatoes, Peggy Grants skin, carrots, my husband flesh and meat.” I said as everyone expected Jen got out of their chair and tried not to hurl. “OH MY IRENE SOFIA HAS ACTUALLY LOST IT.” Mark shouted as he pushed Rami in front of him. “Well I mean what do you expect, bad people deserve to eat other bad people.” I said as Jen finished her bowl. “Quite yummy if I do say so myself.” Jen said as she grabbed her sword. Mr.Roger then pushed Kelly behind him. “W-WHy are you doing this Sofia and Jen?” Mr.Roger cried as I tsk. “Oh Roger dear, does it hurt that I am about to kill you and your wife or that I already killed your side chick Peggy. Kelly was shocked as she pushed Mr.Roger away from her. “Oh Kelly don’t act so innocent you don’t think I knew you and Rami were sleeping with my husband?” I said as Mark turned to Rami shocked. “HOW DARE YOU CHEAT ON ME AFTER EVERYTHING?!” Mark shouted as I grabbed the dagger under the table and threw it at his neck. Mark then fell as Rami cried out his name. “Yeah we are not having any of that in this house. Now this is what's gonna happen, you all gonna die because not only did you eat the soup with the human part but there was also poison except in Jen bowl of course.We are gonna leave and let see if you can get help from the cops or the hospital first” I said as I looked at Jen. “Your no fun love, can we atleast tie them up.” Jen said as I nodded. She gave me that smile again and began tying them up. She had to kill Mr.Roger tho because he tried to resist. Jen and I ran away and lived happily ever after, until you came and caught me. 

“Wow so you actually are crazy…” The police officer said as he slowly backed away. “Yup sad though that you caught me, Jen will find me though. You sir are going to regret catching me.” I said as I read his nametag. “So Officer Bang, which one of them survived and actually told you their side.” I said as I smiled and he laughed. My smile faded and I said, “WHAT SO FUNNY?!” Officer Bang cleared his throat and said, “Well none of them survived, except of course for James Enzo Thomas. You killed the wrong man Sofia. You murder Renzo Yuki Thomas, your husband twin brother.” Officer Bang said. I scoffed, “I didn't even know he had a twin….”I said as Officer Bang chuckled. “Yeah life is full of surprises like how my name is Officer Bang-Thomas. Renzo's husband.” My eyes widen as I looked at him and he said, “I think Jen would love to be invited to dinner made by me.”

July 01, 2021 03:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Eliza Entwistle
18:34 Jul 26, 2021

A surprising and interesting plot - it reminded me of a soap opera :) You may want to remember to create new paragraphs so it reads clearer.

Reply

Lena Martinez
18:56 Jul 26, 2021

Thank you I was trying something new. I appreciated the feedback totally forgot I was so in the moment :D.

Reply

Eliza Entwistle
16:55 Jul 27, 2021

Hey, tell as many people as you can that Reedsy's updating this Thursday-Friday and to remember your password, because after it updates you'll need to know it to prove it's you, and we don't want people getting locked out

Reply

Lena Martinez
19:35 Jul 27, 2021

Thank you I sure will!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lena Martinez
19:35 Jul 27, 2021

Thank you I sure will!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lena Martinez
19:35 Jul 27, 2021

Thank you I sure will!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 4 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rustys Logic
22:12 Jul 09, 2021

Great storyline!

Reply

Lena Martinez
07:46 Jul 10, 2021

Thank you, I decide to try something new :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Johana Htwe
03:58 Jul 05, 2021

A very compelling story, Lena. I thought it would be boring according to first paragraph, but when you told that it was cooked with human flesh, I was just really intrigued by it. Really good story.

Reply

Lena Martinez
19:22 Jul 05, 2021

I appreciated it, I decided to try something new and slowly let it proceed as the story went on.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.