7 comments

Adventure Drama Suspense

Josh was usually a good guy. He had a great sense of humor, was always kind, and everyone liked him. However, he had some harsh pastimes that he didn't like to share. He'd rather forget them, so he does. He goes right back to being a jolly man.

There are, however, weaknesses. For example, the holidays, or whenever he's around his family. Josh... loses control. He has flashbacks that ravage his brain, and he acts... childish.

His family has never gotten to the bottom of his condition, but they soon will.

"Hey, mom!" Josh said when he walked in the door. It was Christmas and everyone was visiting.

"Oh, Josh, dear! It's so nice to see you!"

Josh walked into the foyer. He peered into the next room and saw many relatives there. He smiled and joined them after setting his things down.

About an hour and a half passed. It was time for food.

Everyone sat down for the meal, including Josh. He scanned the table and looked at each and every face, glad to be with family.

But that's when it happened. The moment Josh laid his eyes on his brother, Harry, everything changed. Josh himself changed. He roared in anger, startling his relatives. His brain created flashbacks worse than ever. He stormed up to Harry and screamed in rage: "Mother! Harry did it! Harry did it!"

Josh's mother, alarmed, asked: "Uh, did what?"

"He did it! I didn't do anything, mom! It was Harry's fault!"

Harry slowly backed up and out of his chair.

"Now, now, Josh, I didn't do anything."

"Josh, why are you so angry?" his mother pleaded.

"He did it first! Not me!"

Within Josh's conscience, the flashbacks were playing. They showed Harry and Josh, Harry being ten and Josh being eight. They showed Harry doing the worst thing, haunting Josh for the rest of his life. Harry was killing all of Josh's pets, each and every one. He also was covering his tracks, making it seem like they all died of predators or age or natural causes.

To us, that might not seem as bad. But Josh had a fragile mind, and that just shattered it. Josh became numb at that moment, didn't even tell on Harry. But the flashbacks of when that happened had morphed into a trauma that he forever remembered.

But back to the present.

Josh's parents took him outside where he couldn't see Harry. That's when it got strange. Josh blinked twice and stared at his parents.

"Oh, hey Mom and Dad! It's so nice to see you!"

His parents shared a look of concern. They decided not to say anything. They led him back in. He sat down at the table merrily and started to add food onto his plate. Meanwhile, his parents took Harry into another room.

"We need to find out what makes Josh do... that. Then we can settle the problem," Harry said.

They all walked back to the kitchen, where Josh again spotted Harry. He again lost control. This time Harry and their parents were prepared. Josh's father grabbed Josh's arms and firmly said: "Josh. WHAT IS WRONG?"

This aggressive act shocked Josh and the flashbacks went away. He widened his eyes in surprise and said: "Back when I was eight..." He then opened up completely. Josh told them every detail, told them how Harry had killed everything he loved. But the weird thing was, he wasn't angry towards Harry anymore. He told the story as if it wasn't Harry's fault, but his own for not being a better brother.

Harry was surprised at this story. Josh was being... Josh. He wasn't angry or out of control. And then he had his own flashback, one of both him and Josh. He remembered the shock and terror on Josh's face, but he didn't know what the emotion was for.

It was hard to believe that he had ever done such a thing that shattered his own brother's conscience, causing mind spasms and rage that wasn't... right.

They then walked out of the room they had led Josh into as he was explaining his story. They then sat down and enjoyed their Christmas for the first time, really. They played games, they spent time with family and opened presents, and Josh finally made it through the day.

JANUARY 14, NINETEEN DAYS LATER.

"Harry, is he still susceptible?"

"No, sir. He was healed by my parents. He no longer can be controlled."

The man in the darkness sighed.

"I am disappointed, Agent 2. But you have one more chance to bring him back. Make his mind controllable again."

Harry looked concerned.

"But, sir, how am I supposed to do that now that he is an adult? It was much easier when he was eight."

"I am trusting you nonetheless, Agent 2. If you cannot reach into his mind, however, there will be consequences."

"Y-yes, sir."

The man in the darkness disappeared. Harry shook uncontrollably. He had started to doubt his job, but he needed revenge. You see, the side effects of his former assignment had caused certain feelings in Josh that weren't... right.

Josh had turned into a whole new person when around Harry. This wasn't supposed to happen, but of course the boss hadn't cared. Harry had never seen such rage. It was almost inhuman, the way Josh looked at Harry and how he had seemed to look right through him.

Harry walked out of the building, still thinking. He had been given a job to break another mind, to undo what had all just been done.

But whatever. He was the one who told the boss what had happened. He was the number 2 agent, the one the boss trusted. He smiled to himself. "This'll be fine", he told himself. "Just one more assignment. Nobody will know. You'll get that raise and promotion, and everyone will praise your name, including the boss!"

He walked jauntily on the sidewalk.

"What do you mean, assignment?"

Harry whipped around in surprise to see Josh standing behind him, his arms crossed.

THE END

November 26, 2020 15:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

LuAnn Williamson
18:11 Dec 03, 2020

Interesting concept. A way of bringing traumatic events to the surface of his mind to be dealt with. I just wish it worked that way in real life when healing is seldom that swift or easy. Good following of the idea in the prompt.

Reply

Joe Bob
20:18 Dec 03, 2020

Thanks! Yes, the world would be much better if healing happened like that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ananya Bhalla
14:51 Dec 17, 2020

Nice ending. But the whole story moved at lightning pace. It was hard to follow because Josh doesn’t seem to have any actual PTSD or underlying grief. Flashbacks are indicative of a mental disorder (or brainwashing in this case), but it felt superficial because you didn’t go into depth about how deep that brainwashing affected him. Describe Josh’s flashback in detail, show his trembling hands, the tears silently falling onto his cheeks as he watches his brother kill his pets. Also, why aren’t his parents reacting? It doesn’t make any sense t...

Reply

Show 0 replies

OMG REVENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT JOBBBBBBBBBBB

Reply

Joe Bob
15:08 Nov 28, 2020

Thanks a lottttttt!

Reply

Joe Bob
15:10 Nov 28, 2020

Did you like the ending?

Reply

YES I LOVED IT! JOSH WILL GET HIS REVENGE!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.