4 comments

General

Jeff had just arrived home it was a late day the sun had set hours ago and his wife Michelle was still at the hospital with their daughter in law and son awaiting the birth of their first grand child. He was upset that work had run late. His wife Michelle promised to call when the baby was born so he can come up to the hospital to see the bundle of joy. Jeff decided to sit outside on the patio so he could watch the stars and the meteor shower. Jeff was so excited to become a grandfather and to see the shooting stars streaking across the dark sky. He couldn't help thinking what a wonderful night for baby to be born. Watching the stars he felt a calming peace come over him. He looked down at the phone in his hand noting the time of 8:32 . His phone finally rang about fifteen minutes later a call, the call. His wife said the baby is here, a beautiful girl born at 8:32, 8lbs 3 oz 20 inches long they named her Della, mom and baby were both healthy. Jeff jumped in his truck and raced along with the meteors all the way to the hospital. When Jeff arrived Michelle greeted him with a kiss and he couldn't help thinking his wife had never looked so beautiful standing there smiling at him while holding their granddaughter. The baby was soon handed to him so they could properly meet. Jeff knew he now had two loves in his life. Della started squirm to and fuss as Jeff unwrapped her blanket to get a better look. His wife reached for the fussing baby but Jeff nodded and said I got this. Jeff wrapped the baby back up and walked her over to the window. Grandpa Jeff then started talking to baby Della telling her all about the stars and the moon and as she calmed she cooed back at him. This was the first of many talks between grandfather and granddaughter. Della settled in his arms and fell asleep to her grandfathers calming voice.

A few months had passed and Baby Della was getting to have her first sleepover at her grandparents house. Grandma Michelle did all the feedings, bathing and diaper changing while grandpa Jeff waited patiently for his turn with the baby. Della had just turned four months and was getting her first tooth so she was very fussy. Michelle had tried everything to calm the fussy baby but nothing she did worked. Jeff finally said “why don't you give me the baby and go take a nice bubble bath”. Michelle was getting as fussy as Della so she took Jeff up on the offer and handed the baby to him. Della continued fussing so Jeff decided to take her outside to see the stars. They walked all over the yard that night Jeff telling a fussing Della “look it's a beautiful night see all the stars and the moon as long as they shine everything will be OK, you know you were born on a magical night where the stars ran and danced in the sky they dance and twinkle just for you ”. By the time Jeff finished telling Della about the stars she was fast asleep in his arms. Jeff then carried a sleeping Della inside and laid her in her crib under the special mobile he had made just for her. The mobile had stars that twinkled and raced up and down a string. while a lullaby played softly. Jeff gently turned the knob to keep the mobile turning while it softly played When You Wish Upon A Star. Della slept soundly through the night for the first time.


The months turned into years and Della was now turning six and what she wanted for her birthday was to go to the planetarium. She told her grandpa I want to go to the planetarium to see my stars please grandpa take me. Jeff had told her that he would take her for her birthday but Della had got sick and had to have her tonsils removed. Grandpa Jeff promised he would take her when she was all better but Della was upset. Grandpa Jeff got an idea he carried Della outside wrapped in blankets and laid her down in a lawn chair so they could look at her dancing stars together. This made Della feel better they cuddled under her blankets sharing the chair and grandpa Jeff told her once again all about how the stars dance and twinkle just for her he also said that people all over the world see the same stars and moon no matter where they are.


When Della was ten her dad got a new job and they were moving to a new state Della was so upset she didn't want to move she loved living close to her grandparents she spent almost every weekend with them. She helped her grandma Michelle cook and they made fun art projects together. Della loved her grandma and she loved helping her during the day but nighttime was her and Grandpa Jeff's special time. They would go outside as soon as it got dark and watch the stars. Sometimes Grandpa Jeff would light a fire and they would roast marshmallows. Della loved how her Grandpa Jeff never forgot to tell her that the stars twinkled and danced just for her. Della told her grandpa that she didn't want to move. Della wanted to live with her grandparents but Grandpa Jeff told her that she had to go with her mom and dad.

Grandpa Jeff told her they could still look at the stars together. Grandpa Jeff told her every night when she got ready for bed she could look at the stars and know he would be looking at the same stars thinking of her.


The years went by and every night Della looked at the stars and knew her grandpa was thinking about her. However tonight their would be two men looking at the stars and thinking of Della. Tonight was Della's wedding night and the peak of the Perseid meteor shower. Della and her to be husband Toby were astrophysicist so they planned their wedding outside with a star theme. Tonight Della would walk down the aisle and dance with her men under her stars to the tune of When You Wish Upon A Star.




July 20, 2020 00:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Roshna Rusiniya
15:08 Jul 27, 2020

Sweet story! I really enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Brittany Gillen
01:18 Jul 26, 2020

Michelle - Thank you for sharing your story. It is a very sweet idea. My favorite part is when he carries the fussy baby around the backyard telling her about the stars.

Reply

23:37 Jul 31, 2020

Thank you for comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
21:12 Jul 24, 2020

A very enjoyable story. Love the bond with grandpa. Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.