0 comments

General

As you check your mail, you notice a letter that makes you stop in your tracks. It is black with ornate gold corners as well as its’ edges. The lettering is raised silver in a language you had thought you would never see again. you did not even need to open it. You knew what it said. After all you wrote it years into the future when you were in the early experimentation of what many of you call, the down fall of all realities, time displacement and teleportation.

You enter your house without a thought, almost drifting with purpose towards your office. The safe sitting on your book shelf behind the table in the study. Sometimes the obvious places are the safest, plus you had removed the very knowledge of it from most of your mind; however your assigned target was unlike any of the others. Unlike you, he is the genesis of the cosmic cataclysm stirring in its sleep. Yes the real you.

You start to input the password into you safe and your mind begins to wander. You remember the first day that you bought it, how when you got it home and opened it for the very first time. How there was already dust in the safe. Your mind races and you lose focus and the safe starts to slip-out of your hand. You manage to keep it from falling and strangely putting in the letter you are holding at the same time. But a strange many faced stone drops out of the safe.

The markings begin to light up like a techno night club. As hologram of you spins out of all this chaos like a gene from whatever you would find a modern gene in. You looked yourself directly into your eyes once you felt satisfied it had hooked your minds’ attention through your senses. And began to talk to you. It explained what you had figured out already which was whoever sent that letter had been sent out to kill you. You told yourself where to find the guns and bullets. As well as the ladder needed to get up that far. Strangely the ability to shoot was in a bottle lazily hidden in plain site.

You liked the feeling of displacement it was an conquerable high for you. You would pull out all the stops to keep it even if it meant killing yourself. You were unsure if its plan was going to worked. You almost got caught putting the hollow stone in the safe and the bottle on the table. It was best not to ask too many questions.

The last time you almost got killed. But you did. You decided thinking about this was mentally strenuous and killing the enjoyment of the displacement field. But you kept within your mind secrets of your own secrets that would grant at least another day. Undetectable. Which gave you an edge even if you were technically sleep walking through the most of it.

The mission was simple climb to the top of the house with your riffle and wait for your arrival. You new exactly were to go for the perfect shot. Thanks to the hologram you knew indefinitely, that the later was meant for another you, but you did not know the stakes were that high. But thanks to the hologram you had the means to not only defend yourself, but get one step closer to closing the spacial infraction. A reality shudder must have messed with the time displacement. A bane and a boon all in one. Still something was not right. You thought that your senses must be malfunctioning. After all you have been. You felt all clouded and slowly lost whatever thought that you had.

You heard yourself leave and quickly moved into your study. An off-putting hologram of your self was waiting for your their in a heap of letters in various degrees of decomposition. Again the hologram locks your eyes on yours. But this time after it makes sure you are paying attention it morphed into an unsavory form. These two are the last it explained to you. You were becoming more used to this holograph of this alien you were talking to. So you felt comfortable to ask what would happen to you. Before it glitched out of existence it said that you were irrelevant but the machine would be safe from destruction.

As long as that was the end of your dealings with whatever that apparition was you were pretty much open to the possibilities of what the displacement field had to offer. The first time you killed the original you the machine was damaged and the reality around the machine in bewilderment became displaced and chaotic. Breathing new life into things once forgotten.

You could have been waiting here for, hours, days, shit years even, and you would not even notice your being here had become more conceptual then real, lost in the space between time, beyond the whispering of the visible world, now mostly shadow. Yet you can effect the world around you as if you were more then just a shade cast from the very world itself.

You found yourself at the top of the house sniper rifle firmly aimed at the mail box were you would be walking into a trap designed by a version of you who is also in a trap. You smirk thinking that is kind of funny in a way. Quickly looking around you, you make sure that you are not also in a trap. You know ancient evils. They're pretty funny like that.

You saw someone walking towards the mail box, it was you. You could tell by the gentle flicker of his very being. Making you stand out like a target at a shooting gallery. You had thought that same thing was amiss but you stuck to your plane and fired at yourself cleaving half your face right off.

Now it was your turn. you quickly walked up to yourself and waited with your gun pointed at the back of your skull. You waited for you to fired your shot which cleaved your others face. You fired into the back of your skull. Real simple like.

June 26, 2020 13:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.